CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sure got quiet after 7/25 round here. ;)

How was the 2010 TDF for you enjoyment wise?
Excellent / Great
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Good pretty much, glad not to miss it...
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Could take it or leave for 2010
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Suks, plain and simple
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/28/10 9:51 AM

Sure got quiet after 7/25 round here. ;)

So, rate the TDF

Feeling a little Poll-ish today...

EDIT: I forgot to vote.

Although thinking about it, I probably should have put some thing between the top two, and voted there. ;) It had some great moments for me.

Probably more a component of my currently riding more now than since I busted my peg, although late last year was pretty good as well. And the knee co-operating too!

One, if not my fav, was AC attacking AS on the last MTN Stage. Even though he could not pull it off like last year.. He could just sit there all day, but the racer in him made him do it I think.

I dig that kind of racing/moves, and the cat and mouse stuff. Especially when the peloton is
breathing down at the finish after a successful break away about to be caught, almost, and they play with what is behind sparing the few seconds, and what they want to be ahead.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/28/10 10:46 AM; edited 3 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve Katzman

7/28/10 10:05 AM

The tour could have been better if...

1. Lance stayed in the hunt and maybe even gotten to the third step on the podium, like he did last year.

2. Cavendish had closer competition, making the sprint stages less predictable.

3. Frank Schleck would not have crashed out and been able to help Andy attack Alberto in the mountains.

But overall the tour was entertaining. The above is why I rated it good and not excellent.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/28/10 10:40 AM

boring, the queen stage was two guys riding up a mountain together, fast. No real racing, one wet firecracker of an attack by Bert does not make it fun to watch.

early on it seemed to be pretty good but went downhill faster than the racers.

sanrensho

7/28/10 11:40 AM

I'm finding the new top dogs (Andy/Bert) rather bland, quite frankly. And the way in which this year's race was won (Chaingate) leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

As always, there was plenty of drama along the way. But I hope we don't have to look forward to years of the two buddies Andy and Bert heads and shoulders above everyone else. I don't sense any real fire or spark in that rivalry.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/28/10 11:58 AM

"But I hope we don't have to look forward to years of the two buddies Andy and Bert heads and shoulders above everyone else. I don't sense any real fire or spark in that rivalry."

I suspect neither would the powers that be @ 'de TDF'. Then they will start sticking the Team TT back in, and less MTN top finishes perhaps..

Brian Nystrom

7/29/10 9:41 AM

It seems to me...

...that the lack of excitement (other than "chaingate") in this year's dual was due to the fact that Contador was nowhere near as explosive as in past years and that Schleck is more of a steady-pace climber. Contador couldn't get away and Schleck couldn't launch aggressive attacks. I suspect that Andy will be working on his strength in the off-season to improve his time-trialing, which should also give him more ability to either attack hard and fast or simply wind up the pace and ride people off his wheel.

With any luck, next year's battle will be more dramatic.

Reply to topic    

djdickson

7/29/10 6:27 PM

Mostly with SK

... except I didn't think it was very entertaining racing. Paul and Phil and the scenery made it watchable for the most part, but it was hardly compelling.

Worse, I am afraid that 2010 is still going to be a lot better than the 2011 version. I am really going to miss LA, and face it, who is going to replace him in terms of charisma, determination, grit, focus, and personality? Evans? Leipheimer, Contador? Sastre? Zzzzzzzz.

I like both Schlecks, but if they weren't great bike riders they would be getting knocked around for their lunch money in any American high school.... as teachers.

I can't stand Contador, but he's not even like Hinault, where you can enjoy hating him. He's no badger, just a little weasel. Fingerbang. Sigh.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/31/10 3:17 PM

Watch for young riders next year

I'm hoping that Sagan, Brajkovik and other young-uns will spice up the action next year. I can't see any of the current over-30 set doing much, as they all seem to be in sunset of their careers. Contador (love him or hate him) and Schleck are the vanguard of a new generation of riders who, as of this year's Tour, have assumed the leadership of the peloton. Hopefully, they'll have some pleasant surprises in store for us starting next season.

Reply to topic    

mag7

7/31/10 10:19 PM

Taylor Phinney

I look for him to be the next great all around American rider.
Certainly has genetics on his side.
Already has earned two world pursuit titles and finished two Paris Roubaix U23 wins.
Phinney is riding in the Tour of Denmark (Aug 4-8) on Team RS.

Brian Nystrom

8/1/10 5:04 AM

Absolutely

Tejay Van Garderen has some serious potential, too. The future looks bright for American cycling, but we probably won't have a serious Tour contender for at least another year or two.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -