CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

2024 Eclispe. Few of us near total... Coapman, Emery?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/3/24 12:09 PM

2024 Eclispe. Few of us near total... Coapman, Emery?

Anyone else?

Rob, you going to be home 4/8?

I may go visit Sis in Nashville, head over to Paducah, KY for total. But Nashville 95% may suffice...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/3/24 1:13 PM

I'm going to Lake Placid, which is totality. My college class set it up, booked rooms, is bringing an astronomy prof. Hoping to get in some riding while there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/3/24 3:01 PM

I decided I am shooting to Nashville to Sis's. Prob send a bike ahead...

Our Dad's side of family western KY, so we'll run up to 100% zone. Get an extra 37 seconds of event VS Nashville 94.7% :)

Tom Price

3/3/24 6:20 PM

I live slightly south east of Rochester, NY. The center line is about 30 miles west of here. Should be good view from my backyard. I already purchased viewing glasses. The only possible problem is ROC is not noted for cloudless days in early April. Lots of events around town. If you are traveling to this or any great viewing area, hotels are tough to find. In Rochester the few that still show available are going for $400 or more.

Sparky

3/4/24 7:59 AM

nm

dan emery

3/4/24 1:41 PM

PBS is showing this program 4/3:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/great-american-eclipse/

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

3/13/24 6:35 AM

I'm like 10mi outside of the path of totality. Going to take the day off and find a spot with a good view to bring my camera. Got glasses for the grandkids as well.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/14/24 9:53 AM

A ways west of totality here in western Michigan but still should have something to look at via mirror reflections or other techniques. Assuming of course that we don't get typical cloudy early April weather. Back when we lived in a house with solar heating, we had a 3/4 eclipse and could really see the drop in heat collection on that sunny day.

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/14/24 11:08 AM

Weather is always the wild card in eclipse viewing. I think my last one was in 2009. I was in Shanghai for that one, at the airport waiting for my flight. I went outside and had a great view with special glasses.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/14/24 11:10 AM

It will be a shame if cloudy of course. But been needing to get for a few family reasons. Not been back to NashVegas since late 2011.

RCoapman

3/16/24 2:10 PM

Clouds are a distinct possibility. Hope not, but can't get angry if there are.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/16/24 5:04 PM

As I said an Astro prof is coming to our viewing. I figure he’ll bring a couple lasers and take out any clouds.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

4/14/24 7:47 AM

Funny thing, I live in Vermont, where the eclipse was total and could have been seen out my back door, and the weather was, I'm told, perfect that day. My kids got it, but I was in Africa and of course saw nothing. Well, not nothing, as I saw a bunch of lemurs and monkeys and rhinoceri, and other cool stuff, but the sun was utterly unabated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/24 8:36 AM

I forgot to update. But the Kidney Stone episode which luckily waited for me to get back home, yada.

We were at the edge of totality zone in western KY.
.993%, and to our surprise a slither lower left 7:00 range did not cover totally. So the dark like night I saw in 2017 here at my house [also edge of totality] did not occur. In fact that was quite a bright slither KY viewing. It was not the focus of the trip, so no biggie.

We were .929% in 2017. We had actually driven south 15 miles into totality zone then. But had to boogie home for my wife to get some OXY in her. It was days after hip surgery and she forgot to bring next dose. I thought we missed it as a result and got quite the surprise once totally hit back at the house.

Anyway, cool to get 2 totals in a few years.

PLee

4/16/24 8:24 PM

It was 91% in Brooklyn. Pretty cool, but no real darkening It's amazing how bright 9% of the sun is.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/17/24 8:39 AM

It was perfect weather in Lake Placid, full totality, watched from the roof of a boathouse with Mirror Lake and the mountains behind us. Great having a prof there to explain things and count down the end of totality (when you needed to put the glasses back on).

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/17/24 8:45 AM

We were at 94.5% and it was definitely darker, but really about the same as a heavily overcast day. It was just a bit weird having it that dark with a clear sky. I checked it out the view of the sun a few times and it was interesting, but nothing I hadn't seen in past partial eclipses many years ago. If you're in the path of totality, there's really not that much to see, unless you've never seen an eclipse before.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

4/17/24 9:22 AM

quote:
It was 91% in Brooklyn. Pretty cool, but no real darkening It's amazing how bright 9% of the sun is.

We were at 94% and the same story. Darkening but still broad daylight. Those with solar panels will easily see the loss of sun. The rest of us, not so much.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/17/24 11:42 AM

Found this on web, basically what we saw @ peak KY.
Not the flares with the glasses, but exact place the edge never got covered.

dan emery

4/17/24 12:26 PM

That's the "diamond ring" visible just before and after totality. It really expanded and flashed where we saw it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/17/24 12:38 PM

What we saw was the moon cross from 4:00 to 10:00 right to left. That spot more so than in the pic looked like a super bright crescent moon of very low percent pretty much.

Way too bright for the naked eye VS the 2017 Oregon experience.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -