Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Crashing for dumb reasons....
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

8/21/23 8:31 AM

Crashing for dumb reasons....

Pursuit went sliding along the asphalt this morning because I'm a dumbass. Not done a full inspection yet but the frame appears intact. Rear mech hanger broke as designed. Brand spanking new SRAM shift levers are scraped to hell, unsure of any other damage. No idea if rear mech still works. Front wheel will need a good going over but (tubeless) tire is at full pressure so that's a good sign.

Was fumbling with opening a pack of fig bars and inadvertently turned the bars too far. This caused a lean, I was suddenly in a grassy ditch that quickly came to an end at a drain pipe...went over the bars and then my ass went over the proverbial tea kettle.

Jersey is toast, elbow is the size of an orange, but overall road rash is minimal and no severe pain anywhere so hoping the elbow didn't crack or anything ridiciulous.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 8:40 AM

Eeesh.... Shit happens, but should not happen so soon after new bike/parts. Be happy you did not do a Froome wall splash. ;O

Sorry to hear this obviously, happy you are not posting from ER of course.

I still put on/off clothes riding, once in a while you bump the bars or something... #rethink

I guess I'll cancel the knitting while riding plans...

Last edited by Sparky on 8/21/23 8:43 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

8/21/23 8:43 AM

Not in ER but my bloody elbow is going to be sore AF tomorrow. Full range of motion, though.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 8:44 AM

Did you ice it? Or need to?

That reminds me of the joke with the punchline" If you don't stop jerking off you'll never get rid of that tennis elbow" BaDumBum

Too bad that bike fell in the garage like that, what's your HO INS deductible? kidding...

RCoapman

8/21/23 8:52 AM

I probably should ice it, but I never use ice for anything so I actually have nothing to ice it with. Don't even have a bag of frozen veggies....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 9:00 AM

If your 'orange' get lots of purple bruising... you might should get an x-ray.

Although even if you did manage to get a non displaced fracture not much to do about it. Especially for your tennis game, have to switch hit I guess..

RCoapman

8/21/23 12:36 PM

https://imgur.com/kHOvBLx

I like the stupefied collapse of defeat at the end....

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/21/23 2:07 PM

Well I figure if something like that happens and you get out of it without significant injury, you're ahead of the game. Hope that is the case with you. I think either in the TdF or WC, I saw a rider crash reaching for food.

At this point I usually stop if I'm going to rip open a gel or something - progressively diminishing faith in my ability to do 2 things at once.

Nice blue kit! :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 4:10 PM

Video, excellent! :)

RCoapman

8/21/23 5:02 PM

TdF- I forget his name but he reached for a bottle on a fast switchback on a descent...crazy. I don't have the excuse of bein knackered from 6k meters of climbing that day...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 6:07 PM

Anyone come and ask if you were having a yard sale?

Brian Nystrom

8/22/23 5:23 AM

Well, at least you have video evidence in case you decide to sue yourself.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

8/22/23 5:43 AM

Ouch. Hate to see anyone crash. I hope you don't have any lasting physical damage with that elbow.

After watching the TdF Unchained and the Cavendish special on Netflix, I recently began to wonder how many (on average) of the 176 riders that start the TdF (or other GT for that matter), reach the finale without having a single crash? Think I might text that question into Bobke once the Vuelta starts.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/22/23 6:22 AM

quote:
Well, at least you have video evidence in case you decide to sue yourself.

Honestly, one of the main reasons I have fore/aft cameras is so my kid can get rich if some asshat cager takes me out.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/22/23 8:29 AM

Will you adopt me, assuming you path going forward is consistent.

Are you going to off the bruised bits? And have you surveyed what needs to get replaced?

Maybe said bits moving over to a winter bike be best amortization ??

dddd

8/22/23 10:23 AM

Valuable lesson for sure (note to self), glad to hear that the elbow joint still works!

I carelessly turned into a McDonald's driveway ramp at cornering angle not commensurate with it's yellow rubber texturizing and with my front tire having just ran over some irrigation drain-off. I was heading head/face-first for the concrete sidewalk but managed to extend the reach of my neck just enough to impact the much-softer wood chips of the hedge planter. Scraped my chin just a bit but didn't stop me from going in (shaken) for my Senior Coffee.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/22/23 1:08 PM

Elaine and I tooling along in the bike lane made a right for a signal crossing. New pavement and curb break was 1" high for final top coat to come.

I just naturally pulled my front wheel up as I turned right to the little turn back to the crossing and pressed the crossing button. Elaine behind me just leaned and turned and the curb being proud turned her wheel straight as she leaned to go right, splash!

Brand new concrete, thankfully had a low spot that water had puddled leaving a bunch of dry silt/sand as a lube when the water vaped off. Had her face planted on the new cement without the lube she'd have lost some facial skin. I'd hate to see her get ugly like me...

RCoapman

8/22/23 6:24 PM

I did that when I was a kid jamming around town on my bmx bike after dark. THere was a spot in the curb that dipped down for a driveway but I didn't notice that the driveway still had a lip on it. Went in very fast and that lip said 'hold my beer' to my front tire. Still have a scar on my chin from that.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/23/23 3:12 PM

The news is not good and I'm absolutely gutted. Crack in toptube paint, possibly compromised the carbon. Email out to Carl but he's at a show for 2wk. I swear this bike is cursed.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/23/23 4:59 PM

i think he's coming here for 26th.

https://made.bike/

RCoapman

8/23/23 6:47 PM

Yup

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/25/23 5:32 AM

Brought her home from hospital yesterday. Actually seems ok. I was just disgusted and horrified and immediately took her in without inspection.

The shop had sent the pic and it looked a lot worse than what it seems in person. The 'coin test' produces no change in sound and it feels as strong as ever.

Carl did get back to me and he thinks it's likely just the filler (to smooth the transition at the joints) that cracked. I'm probably still going to send it back in for an inspection but I'll ride it later to see how it feels. Today is a recovery day so I won't really be stressing it but if it's compromised I would hope I'd be able to tell.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/26/23 9:08 AM

If is was me and oked structurally... I'd put a custom vinyl sticker that sez "Testicle dented by R. 'lastname' "

RCoapman

8/26/23 12:43 PM

"that's why I ride in circles"

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/26/23 5:22 PM

I met Carl and Loretta earlier. I've spoken with and emailed Loretta bunch of times but never met in person. Carl OTOH in 2011 OTW here. Stopped @ his shop and met in person for first time in Bozeman, and again 2021 @ King Precision here.

Super nice folks.

A lot of paint work among the vendors. I met Tomii, who made my Team Stampede CX frame as well.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -