CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Got into Glasgow in time for juniors race.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/5/23 10:37 AM

Got into Glasgow in time for juniors race.

Denmark/Philipsen gets gold.

Nice to see a podium stage again.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/6/23 1:09 AM

After the days events and last race, whew... Saying this place was hopping all night is a huge understatement. Glasgow already being party central, when we went out for dinner it took 1/2 dozen attempts at getting a seat someplace to eat. The bars all overflowing into the streets. We wound up at an Italian Restaurant, one of the many we walked past that were full up. We had one of the best Margherita pies in our lives, go figure.

We figured the closer to the square/podium location the worse it would be. Oddly the opposite was the case. But with our digs 1/2 mile from the square, the access could not be much better.

I am still stunned having booked all this in March that I only realized the Worlds where in Glasgow last Friday. No less when we'd be here and the digs so close. Shopping accommodations and availability during such an event may have been good to consider when to book. How that for luck?

And we did not know the train station was directly across from the square either. Walking out onto George St seeing the barriers and the Podium setup in the square, very nice. ;) We crossed George St to walk the 1/2 mile to the Studio we booked. Security opening the barrier for folks to cross the circuit to the square side, lees than 100 ft from the train station exit. Train from Edinburgh got to Glasgow so fast we thought it was a stop. US trains should move this quickly.

Really so prepared.. not. I should be wearing a dunce cap with rainbow stripe as sitting in some corner. ;O

Sparky

8/6/23 1:11 AM

At the race we saw some swag with Worlds on it and asked the kids where they got is and jawed for a few.

They were from about 15 minutes from us in Portland, LOL. They were the 4th people we've talked with from Oregon here. First 3 in Edinburgh, #small_world etc.

Sparky

8/6/23 3:32 AM

Random pics City and Worlds

Edinburgh:

Glasgow:

Nice fast crit turn coming in hot:

Sparky

8/6/23 4:37 AM

In usual UCI BS fashion, we are seeing net cycling news the Winner's sock too tall per regs. Yet no DQ or relegation, yada.

So, normal pretty much. LOL

Sparky

8/6/23 12:24 PM

Men's Elite, Julian Alaphilippe abandoned at the corner we were loitering at. Walked right by me 10' away.

Saw Jose ALARCON VENEZUELA abandon same place and standing right next to him was surprised to see his tires well used and Vittoria Rubinos.

When vDp slipped on a corner last lap, I never saw in any race [mostly TV/iNet coverage] get back up and rolling so fast before....

Nick Payne

8/7/23 2:55 AM

I thought that was a fantastic mens road race. Watched the entire thing except for the delay while they were waiting for the protesters to be unglued from the road, where I switched to the track coverage for a while.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/7/23 7:41 AM

Didn't watch but it looked brutal. Saw Pogacar's interview after and he looked utterly destroyed and even said as much.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/7/23 11:54 AM

It was a great race. VDP was clearly the strongest, and it was amazing he didn’t get caught when he wiped out.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/23 12:48 PM

it was a 1:38 gap when he slid out.

I kinda liked that the riders had no radios nor idea vDp had fallen. I saw his torn kit as he went by the left at the top of the little wall on Montrose and Cathedral by City College. He had a massive gap.

I ran over to the big screen which had a delay and saw the slide. He is super lucky his left fork leg did not break from going under the lower barrier horizontal it hit. He jumped back on @ warp 4...

A few of the riders abandoning were exiting the course at that left. Alaphilippe and Jose Alarcon the ones I noticed. There was a lot of looking left as they crested the wall. It was a good place to stand/view.

dan emery

8/7/23 2:00 PM

I dunno, but the screen I watched showed the gap around 30 seconds when he crashed.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/7/23 2:28 PM

Sparky's right, he had well over a minute when he crashed and he was up so fast that he only lost around 15 seconds. He immediately started building his lead again, as the chasers had consigned themselves to racing for second and backed off their pace. If they only knew...nah, they still wouldn't have caught him, but it might have been more exciting. Not that it was lacking.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/7/23 4:25 PM

I beg to differ. Watch the tape, I did. According to the screen timer and the announcer, the gap wasn’t one minute until well after the crash. No big deal of course.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/23 1:21 AM

I think it was 1:38 when he spilled. But do not seek phrase for memory certainly... ;)

I can say this, after he went by it seemed like forever before the trio/chase crested the hill and made the left.

Nick Payne

8/8/23 1:28 AM

quote:
I beg to differ. Watch the tape, I did. According to the screen timer and the announcer, the gap wasn’t one minute until well after the crash. No big deal of course.

Yeah, on the coverage I was watching, his gap was shown as a bit over 35 seconds when he crashed, and was down to just under 25 after he'd remounted and got going again.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/23 2:08 AM

Beside memory [ahem] the big screen off the corner had a delay. So what I think I recall is subject to running back and forth to barrier and screen. Which was not viewable from barrier position we had. 75' behind and facing away.

Come to think about it, there were a few times I saw event on screen and ran back to barrier. The gal from NED we talked to a lot [for obvious reasons] had race live on her phone and already knew.

She liked us from the start because I said vDp or wVa would take the rainbow. And updated to vDp when the 4 were off the front.

Which [credit due] BTW our own TTF Walter in Michigan I was txting with live with said vDp from the get go. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -