HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

This has some real potential

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

3/23/23 3:39 PM

This has some real potential

https://bikerumor.com/classified-turns-it-up-to-13-speed-with-campy-ekar-compatible-cassette/

Wider range and closer gearing than Campy 1x, but still without a front derailleur. It costs a small fortune, but hey, it's only money, right?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/23/23 7:54 PM

Actually

Plain ol’ Campy Ekar is just about perfect for me, don’t want more gears, wider range or more complexity. But that’s just me….

Actually, if anything, I wouldn’t mind wider spacing on a couple of the higher gears.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/25/23 6:01 AM

This obviously comes down to personal preference. I don't necessarily want wider range either - especially at the high end - but I prefer closely-spaced gearing on any bike I ride on roads, paved or not. Off-road, it's not as much of an issue. Gravel bikes sit at the intersection of road and off-road, so optimum gearing is somewhat less clear-cut. But should you want a "quiver killer" bike, having the option of wide enough range for off-road and close enough gearing for road use would be nice.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/25/23 9:17 AM

I wonder if they made any progress on reducing the efficiency losses that internal geared cause.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/25/23 10:11 AM

Interesting...

https://growtac.com/en/2023/03/20/equal2023-taipei/#outline__6

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/26/23 7:14 AM

@Brian

Of course it is personal choice, but for reference I’d point out that my 38x10-44 Ekar has a high roughly equivalent to a 53x14, and then proceeds 10-11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-26-32-38-44. So you don’t get to large jumps until pretty low gears.

Going off-topic a bit, after riding it awhile I love EKAR. Very positive shifting and I prefer the thumb-shifter to normal Ergo, which I always liked. The EKAR shifter doesn’t require as much thumb extension and seems to have a somewhat easier action. I’m never in the drops so I don’t use the bottom curve.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/26/23 8:46 AM

quote:
I wonder if they made any progress on reducing the efficiency losses that internal geared cause.

The inefficiency of geared hubs is basically a fundamental property of the gearing systems. Many decades and decades of engineering effort have not changed this in any significant way. However, if we invoke PFM (pure effing magic) technology, all will be well.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/27/23 7:15 PM

True, there's no way around it. However, with the Classified system, the reduction in efficiency is only in the low range, as the high range is a locked hub, really no different than any other hub with a cassette. This is different from other internally geared hubs where most - or all - of the gear selections use the planetary gearing and have reduced efficiency.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -