HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Paris Nice Stage 3 TTT

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/8/23 11:33 AM

Paris Nice Stage 3 TTT

Seem the usual X rider over line stopping clock is not being used. Rather each riders time goes to their own GC time. I don't recall seeing this format ever...

> Changes [2023 Paris Nice TTT]

Times will be taken individually. This is not the typical team time-trial format in which the team's time is counted on it's fourth of fifth rider crossing the line - with the rest having their individual times taken. Paris-Nice have decided on making changes to this rarely-used discipline.

That is that times will be taken individually. By this I mean that it is that the team's time - when it comes to stage victory - will be taken from the first rider crossing the line. For the GC that means that all 7 riders from one team may have different times on the day which will count.

This means that a "leadout" can be done, non-ironically. The GC leaders will likely have full support of their team here and very likely many will arrive at the finish alone. On the other hand, riders who thrive in the discipline such as Pogacar and Vingegaard will not have to wait for teammates if it were to be the case. Teams have never raced in such a way, and it's likely to bring in some interesting tactics.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

3/8/23 5:05 PM

So it's an individual time trial with a mass start for everyone on the team....

.....WTF

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/8/23 8:32 PM

Yeah, that's a bit of a head-scratcher.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/8/23 8:59 PM

Not to mention the stupid narrow finish with pacing that pretty much insures team stragglers getting over lapped in the chute.

It makes zero sense to me...

RCoapman

3/9/23 8:10 PM

Watching the highlights now. What in the actual....? Coming in in singles or 2s and 3s, might as well be an ITT.

Sorry, not sorry- this is a stupid format

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/9/23 9:51 PM

I thought it was quite a good format. They still had to ride as a team for the great majority of the course if they didn't want to lose big chunks of time. I suspect we'll see the same format used for TTTs in other races.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/10/23 10:13 AM

It's a "Devil take the hindmost" TTT format. Sort of like some group rides :) You go out as a group and draft as much as possible. Riders get shed as they burn out until only a couple of the strongest remain. In the mean time, the group made them faster than they would have been riding solo or as a 2-3 rider TTT.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/10/23 11:40 AM

I dunno, a few looked pretty slow that finished after the hanging in period... Some moped in...

Went to watch S6; "Stage 6 of Paris-Nice has been cancelled for safety reasons due to the wind conditions."

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -