HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Electric scooter rider exceeds 100kph

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

12/27/22 7:59 PM

Electric scooter rider exceeds 100kph

https://canberraweekly.com.au/scooter-rider-takes-drugs-and-goes-four-times-the-speed-limit/

We had a ringside seat to this on our ride last Friday:) We were just turning onto the four lane Majura Parkway - it's what they call freeways around here - we had a green light, and this scooter went absolutely hammering past through the red light heading towards the airport. A few kilometres further along the bikepath that parallels the road, we came across the aftermath. The guy was lying on the ground with a fair sized gash in his leg, his crashed scooter nearby, and a bunch of cops were standing around with none looking sympathetic and a few clearly amused. There were three cop cars parked on the shoulder of the road and a couple of police motorbikes blocking the bikepath.

I guess he won't be doing that again...

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/29/22 2:38 PM

Here in California, unless he had warrants or had directed a weapon toward an officer, he would normally be free to re-commit any offense within a couple of hours.

Here in the foothills, we recently had a seriously meth-addled driver enter our town after being reported by many motorists on the freeway. This driver sped through a sharply-curved merging intersection at something like 80mph, went wide and launched up and over a large/tall earthen embankment (taking out a big utility box in the process), continued through the air over a strip mall driveway then literally up and over a steeper, 8'-high embankment made of large stones. Ended up fully in a parking space for a local utility's service trucks after passing through a chain-link fence (and he still had the meth-energy to attempt fleeing the scene despite certain injuries).
I came upon this while out running on a Sunday afternoon, the utility trucks were busy replacing the electricity vault and the hammered car was still perched above the steep stone embankment in the next parking lot.

Unbelievable.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

12/30/22 9:52 AM

not sure of term being used

So was it a scooter as in the step-through not-quite-a-motorcycle vehicle? They article mentions it being a "mobility device" which I associate with what are often derisively called "wal-mart scooters" but there is no way they can do 100kph and I would not call the other type of scooter a mobility device....

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/31/22 1:32 PM

Nick's title mentioned "electric", so likely it's of the sort of Ebike which (at least here in California) is usually assembled from Chinese parts (including really beefy and boxy frames and very high-powered rear wheel hub motors, usually with what looks like a Downhill bike's suspension and braking components and with ~3"-wide tires and maybe a flat m/c-style saddle).
The result is an electric motorcycle that is completely illegal for road or path use (they can safely do 70mph I've heard).

No one with assets dares sell such high-performing Ebikes here, though one can order all of the necessary "mega Ebike" parts online or simply purchase an assembled one from Craigslist builder/sellers.

The law/enforcement haven't kept up with what is being sold, but likely a point will be reached...

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

1/1/23 12:27 PM

roger, not what I normally associate with the term 'scooter' hence my bamboozlement

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/1/23 12:39 PM

On this topic, I've had a replica board track EV toy on my radar for a while now.

My last MC I sold in 2015, had it since 94ish. I decided I'd be the motor only. Probably will continue no motor until such time I can't...

I think I have spouted about these in forum before.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/custom-built-board-track-racer.41036/

Another:

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

1/1/23 1:04 PM

60 mph scooter

https://fluidfreeride.com/products/kaabo-wolf-king-gt?currency=USD&variant=39541730705468&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_source=google-ads&campaignID=17203280381&AdGroupID=%7Badgroup%7D&CampaignName=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3pDdooen_AIVUuHICh2pMwBdEAQYASABEgL_8vD_BwE

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

1/11/23 9:35 PM

@Dan - yes, that 60mph scooter looks pretty identical to the one he was riding - small wheels and the "rider" standing up.

I haven't heard anything further on the matter since. I guess there'll be more news when he fronts court.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

5/4/23 1:37 AM

Well, here's a news report on the court appearance, which includes about four minutes of video from the helmet cam of one of the police motorcyclists, showing the pursuit and eventual apprehension of the nut on the scooter. You can see quite a few startled cyclists being passed once he deviates off the road onto the bikepath.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-04/canberra-man-caught-speeding-on-e-scooter-jailed/102299854

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/4/23 9:31 AM

And thats relatively calm sheit police have to deal with..

dan emery

5/4/23 12:18 PM

But....

He said he was sorry.....

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/4/23 12:55 PM

Jeeeeezus

Imagine the state of the cyclists who encountered that chase...

The guy must have had a truly massive battery!

Sparky

5/4/23 2:22 PM

lucky he didn't mow any cyclists down...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -