Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Race Shop SLR Domane rolling

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/30/22 9:47 PM

Race Shop SLR Domane rolling

Tossed this together today.

I think it is just like Dan's SegaFredo RSL/SLR. I think this one is Team Trek Green ala Mad Pedersens recent sprinter greenery.

I have been searching for a 60CM H1.5 Stack one of these before I got the 62CM DoMonster Classics. These are OCLV 700 where as the Classic highest then was 600.

The Bonty Speed Pro Direct Mount brake are impressive stoppers I can say. I have R8000 Direct mount on the English Custom and the Speed Pros are more betterer...

Full ride tomorrow. Broken pavement test close to house show how well they soak up crud with ISO do-hicky thing-a-ma bobbers front an rear. Rear is adjustable on these.

Got more Trek ISO do-hicky thing-a-ma bobber bikes round here than Carter had little liver pills..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

10/1/22 9:28 AM

Can you run both mechanical and electronic groups on it? Really like the color.

Sparky

10/1/22 11:30 AM

Yes, just different entry fittings. But I have good amount of Trek bits.

I almost ordered the UT BB90 kit and seriously thought about 11s Campy, but musical groupo swapping lost out to expediency parts in bins.

The Cranks, RX Di2 and FD-R8000 were meant to make Boone 2x11. Guess it is staying 1x11 for now.

Kinda like getting a really special rim brake bike rolling. I tire of messing with discs, and 28" rotors stop well. ;)

Not liking the white stem as much as I thought I would. But I love those puzzle face stems, hands in close on the tops no jutty pressure points.

I have a Black same length same puzzle face, and may go black on bar tape too. Although this silicon white stays clean very well. Unlike the White Boone Bonty tape I clean after each ride, yuk.

I also like that green a lot, seems quite uncommon color for a Trek non MTB. I have more green bikes than any other color by a margin at this point, similar greens too.

I kinda miss the frosting pink Boone. ;)

Sparky

10/1/22 11:39 AM

Dan Emery,

We have chatted about the SLR adjustment. I recall you saying you just left it as was I think.

Where is yours set VS the position in the pic. I may make is less loose, maybe... maybe not.

dan emery

10/1/22 12:22 PM

I had to go out and look to see where the adjustment was, but actually it’s a bit lower than yours. I think it used to be in the middle, and then I may have lowered it and found it was still great on smooth road, and left it there. I ride some gravel on it at times and it handles it well.

Today for example. I went on a mixed gravel ride with a friend, took my Checkpoint, and a couple miles in the rear hub fell apart or something, all kinds of noise, could barely shift, etc. so I limped home, just got on the RSL, it handled gravel great (32 mm Stampede Pass rubber). It really is a very versatile bike.

Only problem with your green is you don’t get the cool Segafredo decals. :). I’d go with black stem and tape.

As I’ve said, I also love the SRAM dual pivot calipers on mine.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/1/22 3:37 PM

I like the Segafredo Team graphics. But been riding the Classics in full Team graphics less subtle than the Sega for 4 years. I am OK with quieter decaling. I can say I prefer the Team Green over the Red by a margin.

I think lower setting is cushier. Being mine has little pictures of cobble stones at top/bottom. There are more cobbles in the lower position pic.

As with the quick ride yesterday, now sitting after ride, I have no memory of the saddle. Is the saddle or the ISO set to the ow setting side...

I just rode a variety of terrain in an hour shake down. Honeymoon period aside, I think this one will become a fav. The fit is just perfect. Unlike my 62CM Classics that feels big muscling out of the saddle, this does not. And it is not an actual Race Shop Team issue bike for a Pro, so it is way more forgiving..

The difference on paper is not that much either. Moslty 1CM more WB and 16mm more toptube, some of which is a slacker seatube. So call it 1CM more TT.

I grabbed a bunch of brake and actually felt the bars dive. The Classic with no front ISO the bars are rock solid.

Sparky

10/1/22 3:59 PM

Then there is always team decals kits if I change my mind. ;)

RCoapman

10/2/22 6:19 AM

I like the white stem. I think the bar tape should be solid white as well. Matches the white logos on the bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/2/22 8:46 AM

It needs white saddle too with white stem/tape front. I am short on 7x9 Trek rail bits and all the white saddles here are carbon rails. Well one is round, but it has some bright red accents I don't see on this bike.

That tape is the only white I've used that does not get dirty, silicone and base is dark. It is nice and grippy too.

I have a Pro Vibe one piece bar on another bike that I almost harvested. I try to avoid playing musical parts.

But I really am liking these XPLR slight flare Zipp bars a lot ergo wise. 3rd set in short time...

I have such big hands the flare un-crowds them in the drops.

I woke up and 1st thought was riding this today. ;)
#thinkIAMinLuv.

Sparky

10/2/22 3:55 PM

Pretty day here for a Sunday ride...

Campyman

10/2/22 4:50 PM

That is the 2nd Generation Domane, it’s at least 4-5 years old.
My wife has the Women’s version of that bike that was called Silque.
Trek finally released the 4th gen Domane to the public about 6 weeks ago.
I know the design engineer team at Trek that does the road bikes. They all rode/ride it with the slider all the way at the bottom.
I have the 1st gen Domane and am looking at the new one.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/2/22 4:59 PM

Silque is WSD geom I think. Trek really does women's geom well. My wife will not let me upgrade her old WSD Madone, first best bike fit for her.

RSL/SLR is a 2017. My 62CM Classics Team Issue is a 2013 I think. I'd have bought another Classics in a 60 if I ever found one, 2013 or not. I think if you want rim brake [which I did] you are out of luck in or after 2018 models. I can't do the Endurance Domane, so these Race Shop Long Low geom is my attraction. But my low is getting higher every few year of age... ;)

The 3rd gen with bad seatpost design I'd avoid.

I see they got past 3rd gen fast, like 10s Shimano 1st under tape shifter cable versions. ;) [57/67/7900]

Sparky

10/3/22 1:43 PM

This shifts way better with 11s speed chain VS the HG95 I mistakenly thew on [10s].

If that was not bad enough, HG95 has beveled side plates on one side only... Yep, had that reversed wrong as well.

Musical eye glasses wrongly applied I suspect...

dan emery

10/3/22 5:10 PM

Mine is also a 2017. Interesting that the Trek guys ride with the adjustment at the bottom. As mentioned, mine is near the bottom, and I was just thinking probably no reason not to bottom it out, as I have experienced no sloppiness on smooth pavement whatsoever.

However my soon to be delivered bike is steel with 42 mm tires and Campy Ekar 1x13 mechanical.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/3/22 5:53 PM

I was hoping to see a pic painted forwarded to you by now. Do I have to ride down there to see it? ;)

dan emery

10/4/22 7:50 AM

Not expecting any pictures.

Maybe if you buy lunch at the Cafe you'll see it through the window.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/4/22 11:31 AM

I think covid did in the cafe permanently FYI

Sparky

10/5/22 4:14 PM

quote:
I have been searching for a 60CM H1.5 Stack one of these before I got the 62CM DoMonster Classics.

Just a clarification. Dans and mine are H1 not H1.5.

Best I can tell the 2019 Disc was the first H1.5. So wasn't possible to get H1.5 before I got the Classics. Thus my search for one was after I got the Classics, yada...

;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -