CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

[OT] [Midlife crisis] Picked up a bass guitar....

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

9/23/22 9:12 AM

[OT] [Midlife crisis] Picked up a bass guitar....

Yeah, so that's the level of this particular late-mid-life crisis. I'm now taking lessons before and after 12yos. [sarcasm]It's not at all weird to have the mothers look at me strangely as I'm waiting to see the same instructor and their wee hellions. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, Bob I know you play guitar (not sure if bass is among your arsenal) so if you or anyone else has any good online resources to look at I'd appreciate it. I am taking in person lessons, bought an online course (bassbuzz came highly recommended in the interwebz), and am picking up what I can from other sources.

Apparently I'm being somewhat serious about this, which is weirdly amusing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/23/22 9:38 AM

TDPRI is telecaster forum that has a Bass Place. If nothing else you could find other forum recommendation specifically for Bass.

https://www.tdpri.com/forums/the-bass-place.10/

TDPRI and here are multi decade homes for me, and last few years ThePaceLine/bikes.

Actually, I played Bass 1st. Then acoustic accompaniment as a duo @ 15, and got an Electric @ 16 and been a git fiddler since.

Are you playing Electric Bass, Acoustic Bass Fiddle?

Frets, fretless?

Have fun, and enjoy.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

9/23/22 12:41 PM

Got a low end electric w/frets. Never knew how weak and uncoordinated my 3rd and 4th fingers were...lol

If I stick with it and get anywhere, skill-wise, I'll treat myself to a nice acoustic in a year or two.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/23/22 12:48 PM

Linda has taken up playing the ukulele in her retirement and now has about as many ukes as she has bikes, including an ukulele bass (yes there is such a thing). She's doing much the same as you, taking in-person classes with a former co-worker, playing with her group and doing lots of online classes. She's having a blast and had some kind of "cord progression epiphany" last week, so she's even more hooked than before. I love it when she plays the lead-in to "Stairway to Heaven".

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/23/22 1:00 PM

"including an ukulele bass (yes there is such a thing)"

Is it specifically a Uke bass or a baritone Uke?

I traded for an 8 String Schecter Baritone Elec. It looks so wild with all those pole pieces in the fat PUs.

Wide neck, yeah!

This trade included good looper, so one day/week/month I will delve...

Rob, start with a 4, 5 string?

Brian Nystrom

9/23/22 2:35 PM

The Ukelele bass ("U-bass") is an actual bass, but it's the size of a typical Ukulele. The strings are so fat it's laughable and it requires an amp to get any real volume, but you can play it just like a full-size bass.

I don't know if you remember the thread where I talked about repairing an uke, but that one was a bass.

Here's an example of someone playing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWWKfixmLA

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/23/22 3:09 PM

I like it! ;)

Now I want a fretless bass uke.... Thanks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1eunn_7rfc&ab_channel=Thomann%27sGuitars%26Basses

Andy M-S

9/23/22 3:32 PM

U-bass

I have one hanging in the closet! Child picked it up a few years back and abandoned it, but I've been playing it through a small amp with effects, and it's a lot of fun. You really need smaller hands than mine, though.

Sparky

9/23/22 5:22 PM

Small hands not my particular gift, gorilla mitts maybe...

I do have a decent Cort P-Bass clone for years, and a bass amp, just in case a bit of a jam produces itself, and a cajun drum for percussion... Or just make percussive track(s) in the looper if no one to tap out on the cajun box/drum.

Brian Nystrom

9/24/22 12:10 PM

I've been tempted to play around with Linda's U-bass, but my hands are really too big for it. I really don't need another hobby, either.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/24/22 4:54 PM

quote:
but my hands are really too big for it

Watch this vid, in particular Redd Volkaert / Gorilla Mitts on a 7-1/4" radius telecaster neck with 1-1/2" wide neck at the nut. Then come back and tell me you hands are too big for the Bass-Uke. ;)

Side Note; Cindy Cash Dollar on the steel is pretty good too I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY8AFtlAykA&ab_channel=TravisWLyon

Andy M-S

9/25/22 4:34 AM

Impressive

My problem isn't the with of the neck. It's how close together the frets are. Remember that Teles are long-scale guitars.

dfcas

9/25/22 8:13 AM

Someone smarter than me said "A band is a bass and a drummer, and some novelty acts".

Brian Nystrom

9/25/22 8:44 AM

Cute!

I think I'm better off sticking with "playing" the spokes in my wheels.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/25/22 10:07 AM

I wonder being 1/2 as many frets for 1/2 the scale lengt, 13" scale length of 12 [VS 21 vintage Tele] the spaces not that much different.

Uke Bass Scale length: 20.5 inches Tele 25.5" Page states 19 frets Bass Uke, but pic showed 16..

Don't know Mando fret spacing nor scale length, but I've picked a little on them here and there, sloppily I'd add.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -