20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/3/22 10:02 PM

Tubular users among us? Poll, ;)

I am curious.

Tubeless tubs has be all in with them last few seasons.

I only used them 50ish years ago. Had a reboot in 2013-14 with bad results.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/3/22 10:05 PM

I guess the ttf software is set for 3 only. I put 5 and only 3 showed up on my PC. Oh Well....

RCoapman

8/4/22 8:58 AM

uuuuggghhhhh....I didn't know tubeless tubulars were a thing...FML

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/22 9:09 AM

One of the most popular CX tubular, the Clement PDX was tubeless all along.

I had two pair off used wheels I got and never realized it was a thing. Another motivator for me was Covid killing CX seasons here 2 years running and guys blowing out tub CX wheels for dirt.

When I started seeing cobble tires in tubeless tubular the light bulb.s lit in my head. A robust casing mostly smooth tread seemed good choice for a Clyde to me.

My two fav winter semi off road tubeless tubulars are the Challenge Strada Bianca and I got a screaming deal on 5 Schwalbe HT G-Zero speeds from bike24 Germany for 125.00 shipped on a super stupid sale.

I liked the G-Zero so much I got a 40x700 TL clincher pair for looser deeper non paved stuff.

I got the 30mm in both of these, but they make a 36mm Strada tub too. Hardpack like deer paths and fine gravel are perfectly a-tune to rolling these. I do a lot of that kinda rolling as I stay away from car mostly anymore.

So when your Vit/Rallys are done, have some LGGs ready to go on maybe...

Nick Payne

8/6/22 2:59 AM

quote:
uuuuggghhhhh....I didn't know tubeless tubulars were a thing...FML
Yeah, I can remember using Tufo tubeless tubulars about 40 years ago. To fix punctures, they sold a repair kit which had sealant and a blunt hollow needle you used to inject the sealant where the puncture had occurred - no such thing as sealant already in the tyre awaiting a puncture. I gave up using them because the puncture fixing was rather unreliable.

But I haven't used tubular tyres since I retired my 6/7-speed freewheel TT rear disc wheel in favour of a 9-speed cassette clincher disc wheel in the mid-90s.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/15/22 3:10 PM

Still on tubies, just dose them with sealant.

Sparky

8/16/22 1:39 PM

"Still on tubies, just dose them with sealant."

You use Orange sealant, yes?? I am still using Stans, tried a few others and came back.

Any comparative experience?

RCoapman

8/17/22 8:33 AM

No real experience but I injected some Stan's into both my sprinters. No idea how it's going to work but I haven't noticed any difference in the ride with some sealant sloshing around in there.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/17/22 7:08 PM

Orange seal endurance doesn't dry or clump as quickly.

Sparky

8/17/22 7:29 PM

"Orange seal endurance doesn't dry or clump as quickly."

Cool, thanks,

As to sealing performance and shelf life VS others etc... ??

I have tried Bontrager and it worked great but dried way too fast and I also lost all but 2 wheelset installs to drying on shelf, zip lock bag and all. So I went back to keeping 2oz Stans bottles on hand. I tried something else too but can't recall what it was, but got these both non stans after a bunch of forum ask/searching and googling etc.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/18/22 9:31 AM; edited 1 time in total

RCoapman

8/18/22 6:36 AM

Did not know this...but I've got a full bottle of Stans. Probably enough that it will get lumpy and unusable in the bottle long before I use it all.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/18/22 9:54 AM

Its fine in the bottle, but the small quantities in a tire behave differently.

Brian Nystrom

8/20/22 8:13 AM

I haven't had any significant issues with Stan's regular sealant. I had one tube that developed a "Stanimal" in it after a few years of use. That's been it. I suspect that part of the reason is that I don't use the recommended amount of sealant, I only use 1/3 to 1/2 the amount that Stan's calls for. I don't remember the last time I got a flat on the road and the only flats I've had off-road were because I neglected to refresh the sealant for too long (>6 months). In every case, adding sealant and airing up fixed the flat.

Perhaps Orange Seal is somewhat better and I've never seen a bad review, but it's hard to imagine that there could be much difference.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/20/22 10:01 AM

Yeah but, the thing that is a tiny bit better is 10x better I thought. ;)

I just picked up the fattest tubulars I have ever seen, no less ever owned. The 36mm of the same 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca Tubeless tubular I already have. Well, 2 of those used briefly and one new unused tubed tubular.

Aired up like 37.2mm. Not rolled them but trying to imagine a tubular this size around 55 PSi being pretty sublime feeling. The 30mm @ 75Psi are pretty cush I can say, rolled them over winter.

Side note, all these tubeless tubs hold air better than a butyl tubes clincher to my surprise.

They look like the big old fat tubulars the racers 80+ years ago wore in figure 8s around their shoulder as spares. ;)

Nick Payne

8/24/22 2:13 AM

quote:
They look like the big old fat tubulars the racers 80+ years ago wore in figure 8s around their shoulder as spares.

Like the ones that were looped together to haul Wim Van Est out of the ravine he fell into while descending the Aubisque in the TdF (though that was only just over 70 years ago, in the 1951 Tour).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/24/22 9:41 AM

I bet he finished the race too! ;)

Wonder if those tires cost more than $3-4.00 each then. ;)

dan emery

8/24/22 3:20 PM

And

If his bike was busted, he could have just taken it to a blacksmith to be fixed. Maybe that was before ‘51, dunno.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/25/22 2:41 PM

"Wim Van Est out of the ravine he fell into while descending the Aubisque"

Whilst in the Yellow Jersey according to his Wiki page.

Willem "Wim" van Est (25 March 1923 – 1 May 2003) was a Dutch racing cyclist. He is best known for being the first Dutch cyclist to wear the yellow jersey as leader of the general classification in the Tour de France of 1951, and for falling into a ravine while wearing it.[2]

RCoapman

8/27/22 12:13 PM

So I've currently got two bikes, the Strong running tubulars and the Cervelo gravel running tubeless. For my first set of tubeless, the cervelo has needed a lot of care and attention and the Conti Sprinters just keep rolling.

Yesterday flatted on a ride, nearly crashing on a corner as I didn't realize i was almost but not quite riding on the rim, and this was the third ride out of 5 that had to be cut short due to inflation issues on the tubeless. This is not doing any wonders for my retro-grouchness, which I guess riding tubulars qualifies for these days. Just did a little over a metric century on the Strong this morning and the tubies are flawless.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/27/22 1:13 PM

Well most days are tubular rides for me anymore. SO my saying I rode the 28mm Hi-Carbons yesterday normal I suppose.

But day before I tried some King/HED clinchers on the same bike to test roll these once zoot clinchers wheels. Tire do sit nice on the HED rims, latex and 1mm smaller than the tubs, yada.

I came away from the 28 tub ride feeling, ahh that is better. I do love that feel...

Looking forward to getting the 36mm Bianca Strada tubulars glued up and feeling the fat tubulars. Life getting in the way thins week...

Brian Nystrom

8/28/22 1:23 PM

Rob, are you using sealant in your tubeless setup?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/28/22 2:06 PM

If you mean Rob in NY "No real experience but I injected some Stan's into both my sprinters. "

stated above.

If you mean me, I carry. Although I put in the LGG 25s upon gluing. Not in the Hi-Carbon 28s or 30mm Challenge or G-Zeros.

My thinking is I am less likely to flat on new tire, and later when I should be more likely to flat if I have not added sealant I might flat anyway...

RCoapman

8/29/22 10:21 AM

Yes, sealant in tubeless. I think the wheels that came with the bike are crap. Lots of slow leak problems. But on the last ride it went from 45psi to barely holding any air in ~1hr

Bob, the sprinters are the tubulars. ;)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/22 3:09 PM

Yes, tubeless setup.. Missed that in plain site.

dan emery

8/29/22 4:24 PM

I have had the same problems Rob describes with my one set of tubeless tires - intermittent slow leaks. I think they are leaks at the rim bead. Can be fixed by refreshing sealant and spinning the hell out of it. For awhile. These are Bontrager wheels, not cheapies. I don’t use tubulars, but prefer clinchers with tubes. With wider, lower oressure tires, almost never have flats. YMMV.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -