HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bag for spare tubular?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

8/3/22 4:27 PM

Bag for spare tubular?

Using a set of old school Bontrager Aeolus tubular wheels on my Strong with Conti Sprinter Gatorskins. I know these tires are very durable but things happen and I'd like to carry a spare to limp home if I need to.

Any recommendations on a seat bag that can accommodate a full tire and CO2? I know I could simply put them in a jersey pocket but I'll forget at least half the time...

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/3/22 4:52 PM

I haven’t used sewups for many years but still use a couple of these

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/products/jandd-tire-bag-ii-seat-bag-black?variant=39335020134502

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/22 6:15 PM

Rob, you carry some Vittoria Pit Stop with you??

I am looking for a Paceline thread to link for you I saw to answer you question.

I'd suggest you get some tubeless tubulars. I carry a mini plug kit and a 2oz Stans, no spare. No spare means no semi glued spare and no riding home on a freshly wet/glued tubular more easily rolled I figure.

I can give you a list of tires.

My current road choices are Donnelly/Clement LGG 25mm, and Tufo Hi-composite carbon 28mm.

They hold air better than a butyl tube in a clincher too.

PL posts; listed are JANDD bag, Arundel bag, Widgets bag. I assume these are just long bags non tubular specific. But Dan's link show my assumption may be just that...

Examples in this PL old classified thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3013837&highlight=spare+tubular#post3013837

Amazon link for the Arundel bag, called Tubi, so made for it I guess. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/arundel-Arundel-Tubi-Seatbag/dp/B008H5ZHRQ

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

8/4/22 9:01 AM

Well, I didn't know tubeless tubulars were actually a thing. I would have gone with that option had I known.

But I'm committed at least for this season. I don't expect my Pursuit will arrive with enough time left in the year to get significant, if any, outdoor time on it and I am confident that the sprinters I just mounted about 300miles ago are more than up to the task of getting me to winter. I recall getting 2 full seasons of training and racing out of a pair back in the day.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/4/22 4:43 PM

For the last few years that I rode tubulars, I ran Stan's sealant in them and it virtually eliminated flats. Sprinters have removable valve cores, so it's easy to do. I carried a spare tire in a Jandd bag, but I don't think I used it after I started using sealant. I still use the Jandd bag, as it carries a mini pump better than more compact bags. I will not use CO2, as I've seen way too many stranded riders who relied on it and I don't like the waste (spent cylinders) it creates.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/5/22 9:49 AM

I've thought about putting sealant in but haven't found much online. I got a park tool sealant injector so it would be easy. I mean, what could it hurt? It'll add a tiny bit of weight...I think I'll go for it.

Any idea how much I should add to a 700x25 tubular?

Caught a flat on my gravel bike today that is tubeless-ready but I am still running clinchers because I'm lazy. Wet roads, so I was fully prepared for it, but still annoying. The gravel is noticeably more comfy and easy to ride I think in no small part due to 30mm tires vs the 25mm sprinters on the Strong.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/6/22 7:38 AM

I used an ounce to an ounce and a half of sealant in Sprinters. That worked fine.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/15/22 3:13 PM

I have a Jandd bag but don't use it, rather keep tools in jersey and tire in a toestrap under seat.
And yeah, an ounce or two of Orange Seal Endurance for me. Also carry a Stan's single dose bottle filled w Orange Seal with me.

dan emery

8/15/22 4:45 PM

Old school!

Greg, I hope it is a Christophe toestrap…:)

Do you also carry a banana in a jersey pocket?

Still liking the Ottrott?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/16/22 6:41 AM

Lol. And the tire's in an old sock.

The Ottrott is my primary bike. I've stopped buying bike stuff, have too much money tied up in rim brake wheels (not actual money, everything was used, but to replace them with disc stuff...uggh). I did pick up a crazy deal on a Campy EPS group and put that on the Ottrott.

Evan posted a pic on facebook of a jersey with your sponsorship on the top-good on ya.

dan emery

8/16/22 1:04 PM

Those jerseys are old....but they live on!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/16/22 1:31 PM

"Those jerseys are old....but they live on!"

Let's see....

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -