Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Wahoo Speedplay cleat engagement
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

7/23/22 3:58 AM

Wahoo Speedplay cleat engagement

Just got a set of Wahoo Speedplay power meters and the cleat engagement is very stiff, even difficult to engage. I have to stand and push hard to get the cleats onto the lollipop. These are based on the Zero platform and I've always ridden X-series which doesn't appear to be a thing anymore.

Any way to adjust this engagement lighter? Not found anything on the googletubez...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/23/22 1:16 PM

Are cleats new with pedals. Sound maybe like bent metal rings?? What ever they call those...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/23/22 3:28 PM

It’s a feature

Gives you a power warmup before the workout.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

7/23/22 5:25 PM

These have not been out so long and there aren't many around I suspect. You might have to talk to Wahoo and see what they have to say.

Sparky

7/23/22 6:13 PM

quote:
Gives you a power warmup before the workout.

But can he tell us how many watts it takes to get clipped in?

RCoapman

7/24/22 4:54 AM

Blah, it's just annoying. I see complaints online but no solutions. I did dry-lube the cleats before ever using them, hopefully they will loosen up over time.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/22 6:17 AM

I've got the same cleats and I can think of a couple of things that could cause the problem:

- It's critical that the surface of the base plate is flat when the screws are tightened. Otherwise, the cleat will be twisted, causing it to bind and be difficult to engage. I found that I had to get creative with the shims to accomplish this with Zero cleats. Since you've been using X-Pedals, I imagine you know this.

- I had a real tough time engaging one of my cleats and eventually discovered that the spring was installed upside-down. Instead of having smooth, tapered edges facing the pedal, there were rough, square edges from the stamping process. Once I flipped the spring, engagement improved dramatically. That said, they're still not as easy as X-Pedals; that's just the nature of Zeros.

Lubing the cleats and pedal engagement surfaces with a dry lube also helps.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 7/24/22 9:43 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/22 9:21 AM

The Keywins are also susceptible to cleat twisting, cleat being so thin. Not that those are thin...

So I have just not used them on shoes that are 'less flat' or can allow them getting a twist out of plane with the pedal interface.

But yeah, non plug and play interface suks, don't it?

Brian Nystrom

7/24/22 9:41 AM

There's a handful of shoes available with 4-bolt soles for direct connection with Speedplay cleats, but it took me so long to find shoes that really fit comfortably that there's no way I would compromise my shoe fit for the sake of easier cleat mounting.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/22 11:47 AM

One of my issues/problems [1st world] is like a few of us here have multiple arrows to pull outta the quiver.

So shoes/pedals galore. Doing Keo and clones, SPD-SL, and still now for 2+decades the Keywins.

Like these all. But standing and hot spots nothing beats the Keywins.

And sounds like Brian's comment I can identify with, me #fat4E-feet. These old feet get fussier and fussier in their high mileage state, such as it is...

Brian Nystrom

7/24/22 3:00 PM

Lake makes some really great shoes for wide feet. There's a chart on their website that actually lists all the dimensions for every size, for each of their sole models. I traced my feet, measured the tracings and ordered shoes based on that... To my delight,they fit perfectly! After buying road shoes, I bought the corresponding MTB model and again the fit was perfect.

I have three pedal systems in the fleet, but one - Crank Brothers - is only on my fat bike and the only cleats are on my Lake 303 winter boots. I've got Zeros on my road bikes and Syzrs on my gravel bike and hardtail.

Unfortunately, once I wear out the last of my Syzr cleats, I'm going to have to change systems, since f-ing Wahoo discontinued the cleats. It seems pretty stupid, since they're a high-margin item. As soon as someone knocks off the Zero cleats, I'm done with Wahoo!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/22 3:29 PM

I mentioned road only there. I did some woods with PD-9000 and road shoes yesterday. ;)

Yes, Lake and my 4E feet are matches made in heaven, 3-4 pairs here. Although I do have some Spesh road shoes that are shaped perfect for my feet. But I got them when I was working at LBS years back and could try on, rather than online.

One pair of Lake MTN shoes I have are so heavy I swear I can feel the added rotational mass of them.
After those I watched weight of shoes more closely before ordering..

I have SPD and Candy for city and woods. I like the candy once in, but miss a lot getting in them.

I lean SPD over Cranks as I find it more deterministic getting in them. And I still have and use 747s, 2 pairs and have always been best MTN / SPDs to me. Have some newer XT SPD that are good too.

Still have Ultegra 6500 one sided SPDs, a fav for SS and City treks.

RCoapman

7/25/22 5:28 PM

The springs are in the correct way, will check on flatness...don't think it's an issue because of the underplate that screws into the show but can't hurt to look

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/26/22 5:51 AM

Rob, the mounting plate that screws to the shoe is flexible and getting it flat is crucial. They emphasize this in the installation instructions. You may get lucky and find that selecting the correct snap-on parts is enough, but if you didn't check the flatness, that's most likely the issue. I had to use the small shims they provide on one corner of the mounting plates, otherwise, they were nowhere near flat.

It's been a while since I've used X-Pedals, but I don't recall them being as sensitive to mounting plate flatness. I also find that I tend to miss-clip more with Zeros, despite the larger guide hole in the walkable cleats. They definitely require more of a push to get them clipped in, but that makes sense when you look at the difference in the springs.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

7/26/22 6:13 AM

I'll take a look. I lubed the [bleep] out of them this morning and still they were a [bleeping] [bleep] to get clipped in, to a truly unacceptable degree. And yes, x-series were never a problem at all. Screw em on and go riding, easy peasy.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/26/22 3:57 PM

Standardized

I’ve standardized on Dromarti touring shoes and ATAC pedals - road, gravel and commuting.

The shoes are favorites of Jan Heine (Rene Herse) and I agree. Old school, and perfect. And you can wear them to a party and get compliments on them, as well as ride.

I have used ATACs for years, and love them. I used to have Time road pedals and Brancale shoes for my road bike, but engagement was at times a bit sketchy, and I eventually said “life’s too short” and went to ATACs. I did like the Brancales though.

I’m riding to a “tea” this week at the Maine governor’s mansion, in support of cycling/walking infrastructure, and will happily wear my Dromartis.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/26/22 5:46 PM

Yeah, it would be nice to have everything the same, but there really aren't many (any?) MTB pedals that have zero float and good angle adjustment. I tried Crank Brothers Zero Float Cleats, but they're a joke. Aside from the lack of angle adjustment, they wear so fast that in a few miles you've got considerable float (no exaggeration). Speedplay Syzrs had real potential, but since f-ing Wahoo discontinued them, that's not an option. Oh, well...

I'm really not into bike shoes as a fashion statement, though the Dromartis are purty. My Lake 241s look like orthopedic nun shoes. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

8/1/22 9:42 PM

quote:
Yeah, it would be nice to have everything the same, but there really aren't many (any?) MTB pedals that have zero float and good angle adjustment...Speedplay Syzrs had real potential, but since f-ing Wahoo discontinued them, that's not an option. Oh, well...
Yeah, I was overjoyed when I discovered the Syzr pedals and how the float could be completely locked out. When I found that they were being taken off the market, I went on a buying spree. At that time the pedals and cleats were being sold fairly cheaply as being dead product - I notice now that the asking prices on fleabay, even for used Syzr pedals/cleats, are getting pretty outrageous.

I just did a count, and found that I have Syzr pedals on ten bikes, three pairs of pedals in boxes still waiting to be used, Syzr cleats on four pairs of shoes, and about a dozen spare pairs of the cleats. As the cleats hardly seem to wear at all - I have yet to need to replace a pair - my stock will hopefully see me through to my coffin.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/2/22 7:55 AM

As far my eyeball comparing to a straight edge can tell, the cleats were on quite flat. The more I use them the easier (though still quite far from 'easy') it's getting so maybe they just needed a break-in period.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/2/22 10:48 AM

Nick, you're definitely smarter than I am. I should have stocked up on cleats when I had the chance.

Rob, they do get a bit better with use, but they won't get as easy as X Pedals.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/2/22 11:06 AM

I do that too, especially things I think will become less and less likely to find, or find in good condition.

Like the 2 sets of Pauls cantis DanCasdf sold me recently. They are also unlikely to not at least follow inflation on the $$ front.

My kids will sell them for pennies most probably. ;)

RCoapman

8/2/22 11:24 AM

LOL, I'm terrified of what my kids will sell my cycling and fly fishing kits fof after I've assumed room teperature.

At the yard sale-

Hand made cane rod? $25

Zipp wheelset? $10

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/2/22 3:31 PM

Estate planning

Your really good stuff, pass along to someone who’ll appreciate it before you shuffle off this mortal coil, or pass along in your will. I have at least one bike, and I think a couple, designated (not kidding).

Or sell them yourself, though I’m skeptical I could get enough for even vintage items to be worth the trouble.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

8/2/22 4:40 PM

Now this thread has taken a dark turn. Let's not talk about which side of the grass we're on. I think about it often enough without prompting.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/3/22 5:04 AM

It's just part of life, so there's no point fretting over it.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -