Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Campy Ekar
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/1/22 4:18 PM

+1 on Bike24.

I got 5 tires faster than from stateside. And shipping was a token low amount.

Best part was the price, clearance offerings there can be pretty attractive..

Five Schwalbe 30mm G-Zero Speed HT tubulars shipped for 125.00.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

7/3/22 7:34 AM

Tires in particular are much cheaper to buy from European dealers. It really points out how badly we're getting screwed by the distributors here in the US.

There are also some products that you can't find here in the US, but are available from European dealers.

Reply to topic    

PLee

7/11/22 5:59 PM

Hey, the euro just reached parity with the US dollar. That has to count for something . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/11/22 6:25 PM

Saw that, thought about hitting Merlinbikes. ;)

RCoapman

8/4/22 12:09 PM

Ekar...I was thinking that a 44x9 max gear (depending on chainring choice, of course) felt pretty low. Then I did the calculations (by using an online calculator) and the 44x9 gear actually makes ~2 more gear inches than my current max gearing of 53x11.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/22 1:06 PM

I wonder how some folks (like me) that gripe about an 11 smallest cog for forever could consider a 9-10.

I recall over the years here on ttf this griping was a preaching to the choir, my not being alone on this point, etc.

;)

The 1x11 Boone try I still dislike the 11, and with a 38 ring I hit that 11 on any hill.. I have the 2x11 parts, think they will get installed...

dan emery

8/4/22 4:09 PM

You don’t like 38x11 why?

It’s lower than 50x14.

I look forward to 38x10 on my new bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/22 9:37 PM

I guess I don't like how such small wrap/teeth feels under power in rear.

I don't know if it is I am just used to sub compacts for climby use with a 28 or 30 granny for bail out I only use occasionally.

46-48 up front with a 12 smallest seems I like best.

As far as GI, the 46-12 is 10 GI taller than 38-11, no?

Maybe if I used the 1x11 less on pavement I'd quit pissing about it. ;)

I sold that Lynskey Mongrel Gravel bike and miss the 28/42 up front, and did not use the 11 enough to be bothered by it. But than I really only have a 10s cassette. ;)

RCoapman

8/5/22 10:06 AM

I was in my 53x11 (occasionally used the 12) on my gravel bike for about 8miles today coming back down a meandering, curvy road that trends uphill with one significant (for this area) climb. So much fun, love the tall gears...

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/19/22 2:00 PM

Found a full Ekar group for <$1k on Bike24.com. Pulled the trigger.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/19/22 7:08 PM

Nice! Let us know how you like it.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/20/22 8:20 AM

Need to find wheels or a compatible freehub first.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/20/22 9:49 AM

Keep us posted on the duty cost if you would.

I see the Campy disc wheels over the pond way less than stateside, but duty boosts cost. Reading on ThePaceLine.com shippers tagging on post delivery duty handling costs higher than the duty itself depending on shipper. Do your homework...

Wheels? Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO 45 Disc of course..

But the Shamal carbons are sure a lot more bang/buck for less coin... If you can stand 165 more grams of weight and a heavier wallet to go with them...

But the G3 spoke pattern front and back looks great to me.. My Fulcrum Zeros rim brake wheels only have rear G3. ;)

RCoapman

9/20/22 1:10 PM

Literally have a set of Shamals in my cart right now...just balking at spending another K on bike stuff this week.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/20/22 3:47 PM

Clicked through on the Shamals...LBS price was $500 more.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/20/22 8:57 PM

We should be seeing a pic of it painted back at Pursuit build ready soon, no?

RCoapman

9/21/22 4:26 AM

Well, the pursuit is a pure road. Ekar and shamals are for the cervelo.

Carl said paint can take 'a while' which can mean anything. I would guess before Halloween. Hoping to get a few rides on it before my world looks like Scarface's desk.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/21/22 8:32 AM

But, to be clear, I did not order the bike with the intent to ride it this year. I knew it would take some time. Don't want to leave the impression that I'm in any way dissatisfied with the process. Carl has been very helpful and responsive, as he always is.

[Thread drift warning]

I was actually thinking on this morning's ride that this may be the last high-end road bike I ever buy. I'm 52 and my Strong is still putting in many miles after 20 years. In another 20 years I will surely be putting in less miles at a slower pace and the need, and maybe desire, for fast machines will be far less. I'm ok with all this, was just a moment of realization and means I'll savor this experience even more.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/21/22 9:16 AM

Not so fast Rob

I thought pretty much the same thing when I bought my Sachs in '12, when I was 62.
Nonetheless, since then I've bought a Domane RSL at 66 (a road bike), a Checkpoint at 67, and a G-Road where I'll take delivery at 72.

I think Nick Payne is about the same age and he surpasses me in both riding and (I think) bikes.

BTW my G-Road is also EKAR but I went with humble Hed Belgium rims. It hit a bottleneck in painting, then came back and now has a bottleneck in assembly. But no long delays, like you, no complaints at all.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/21/22 10:48 AM

Oh I get it. And I was very careful to say "may." ;) If it is, I'm fine with that...at least today. If not, good for me.

Reply to topic    

PLee

9/21/22 12:00 PM

I'll be 69 in a few weeks, but my last bike purchase was over 15 years ago; a 15 lb aluminum custom framer. I might have to finally treat myself to a carbon bike, maybe with disc brakes? Hmmmm. It might help on the long downhills in Vermont. I usually take breaks on those downhills to let my brakes and rims cool off . . .

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/21/22 12:39 PM

quote:
I might have to finally treat myself to a carbon bike, maybe with disc brakes? Hmmmm. It might help on the long downhills in Vermont.

I had to do a hard, downhill brake in the pouring rain with disk brakes for the first time yesterday. Intersection not quite at the bottom of the hill, grade of at least 8%, speed nearly 38mph, fat guy on the pedals. SO MUCH better than rim brakes. My only worry was that I'd lock up the wheels from too much force....I'm absolutely sold on disk brakes after that. Not that I wasn't before, but that clinched it.

If I refer you to Pursuit think Carl will give me a discount on the current build? :D

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/21/22 1:02 PM

stop to let rims cool off

That's like Hurricane Mtn Rd in Me/NH. Never ridden it with disks.

Then there's the Mt. Washington Auto Rd,, which they don't let you ride down on bikes, but has turnoffs and barrels of water to stop and cool down your car brakes.

Not saying it's never been ridden down on bikes, just not on the right side of the law.

Disks are good (though the first pair I had sucked), though I also must say the SRAM Red calipers I have are great and have all the brake power I need. Haven't done real long descents on them though.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/21/22 1:28 PM

Rim or disc have their long steep descents issues I suppose..

Between boiling off mineral fluid, to melting discs, to rim heat that pops tires or in the case of tubulars softens glue to the point next switchback rolls tire way too easily.

Last week descending couple mile Crater lake hills, my front rotor warped enough to scrape some before it cooled down again..

RCoapman

9/21/22 1:58 PM

quote:
in the case of tubulars softens glue to the point next switchback rolls tire way too easily

More thread drift, it's apparently my superpower. When I glued my sprinters on a few months ago it was the first time in 20years I'd glued on tubies and I used tape for the first time. Absolutely spectacular in terms of how much easier and less messy it was.

BUT- does tape glue have the same weakness with heat melting it? I would imagine so and the only reason I ask is that this glue is activated by pressure and I'm wondering if it could possibly be an entirely different chemical family that perhaps reacts differently...but I have exactly zero knowledge in this space

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -