HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Awful news...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
pete hausner

3/9/22 10:00 AM

Awful news...

Got a call from Rick Hardy's spouse earlier this morning. He was in a biking accident, yesterday, while attending climbing camp, down south. Unfortunately, he did not survive the accident.

That's all I know, thus far. I'll keep you folk apprised as I know more. Obviously, Carol and I are devastated...

PH

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/9/22 10:06 AM

Sorry to read this... Thoughts and prayers to friends and family.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

3/9/22 10:33 AM

Awful indeed. I hope the family gets through this ok.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/9/22 10:43 AM

Thoughts to his friends and family.

KerryIrons

3/9/22 11:07 AM

Hard news to hear.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/9/22 12:04 PM

Speechless

Rick was a close friend. One of the guys who hauled me to the hospital when I bounced on my head Downeast last year. Also a 2 man team time trial partner in years past. Thoughts are with Deirdre and Emily.

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/9/22 1:47 PM

Condolences to his family. Awful news indeed.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/9/22 2:19 PM

Oh man, that's terrible. I didn't know Rick very well, but he seemed like a really great guy. He will definitely be missed. Truly sad.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

3/9/22 3:13 PM

Terrible news. My thoughts and condolences are with the family.

Pete, thanks for letting us know.

LeeW

3/12/22 6:08 AM

Very tragic. I had never actually met Rick, but appreciated his posts. My energies go out to his wife and relatives.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

3/12/22 10:03 AM

So sorry to hear, not much more to say.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/12/22 4:35 PM

Just awful.

pete hausner

3/14/22 6:17 AM

Dan E. spoke with Rick's spouse last evening...

He let me know:

"Rick got hit by an SUV, probably from behind. Just on a ride with one other guy, on a slightly uphill road in broad daylight. The driver has been arrested.

She is having a wake at Eaton Funeral Home (Needham, MA), 5-8 Friday, which I will go to. It will be in the Globe. She seemed to be managing as well as can be expected."

May his memory be a blessing...

PH

Reply to topic    

pete hausner

3/14/22 5:29 PM

More info...

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: "Dover TT" <dover-tt@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 6:32 PM
Subject: [dover-tt] More on Rick Hardy's death
Dear friends
I got some more information about Rick Hardy's death on Tuesday. He was on a team training session in South Carolina, with Charles Coaching and Nutrition Services (CCNS). Here's the email the company sent out to other riders:

-----------------------------------
Dear CCNS Athlete,

We are incredibly saddened to tell everyone that Rick Hardy passed away yesterday after being hit by a motor vehicle while riding with us during our training camps in South Carolina. He was immediately unconscious and passed away on-site. Coach Hunter was riding with him but was unharmed. They were doing everything right, riding safely on the side of the road with safety lights on, and the police arrested the driver for reckless driving. The driver claimed to be distracted by a light that popped up on his dashboard. Both Hunter and I spoke with Rick's wife and are helping in any way possible. He was 68 years old and left behind his wife and one daughter.

We are sorry to have to deliver this news by email, and we appreciate everyone's patience as we do our best to navigate this incredibly tough situation. We hope you will understand that we may have some difficulty discussing details of the incident due to the emotionally tough circumstances, and due to the fact that there is an ongoing police investigation and pending prosecution of the driver.

All of that said, we hope that everyone takes a moment to think about Rick and his family and takes extra care to try to enjoy their ride today in honor of Rick.

Sincerely,
Aidan, Hunter, Ben, Vivien, and Katrina
------------------------------------

I received the above in a long chain of email forwards, and cleaned it up to be easier to read. Thanks to those who passed it along.

I have not yet heard anything about memorial services. I will pass on any information I get.

Rick started doing the Dover Time Trial back in 1998. He rode it 60 times--I don't know of anyone who did it more times. I was surprised when I counted this up--Rick was easy to miss because always left before the chatting that went on after the ride.

I can't resist making this suggestion: Put a rear-view mirror on your bike and use it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/14/22 5:39 PM

quote:
I can't resist making this suggestion: Put a rear-view mirror on your bike and use it.

I totally get that. Thus my Garmin Varia, and it alerting me to look in the mirror I've always used [20+ yrs] when it may matter most.

In the hope it may lower odds and maybe have me get outta harms way when/if.

Continued thoughts and prayers.

Wheels

3/14/22 7:07 PM

Pete H.

Please Email me.
Use my hotmail account if you have it. If not repost and I'll send it.

Bill

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

3/17/22 1:15 PM

Was able to ride outside for the first time this year today. I never met Rick in person, though we certainly interacted on the TTF back in the day, but he was definitely in my thoughts out on the road. Definitely felt some extra gratitude to be out and some mindful appreciation of enjoying the moment knowing that every one could be the last.

Stay safe, everyone.

Reply to topic    

pete hausner

3/18/22 5:22 AM

Rick’s obit…

https://www.eatonfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Richard-Hardy s

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

3/20/22 9:00 AM

I'm a bit sorry to see that the obit is so ambiguous about the way he died, though. He didn't, after all, have a heart attack or go off the road. I don't think the driver of that car is owed any kindness.

When I had my accident coming up on ten years ago, I didn't die, but if I had, I'd hope my obit would have made it clear that I was hit by a ****** car.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/20/22 6:01 PM

A lot of obits don't mention the cause of death; my father's didn't either.

I agree that the driver shouldn't be cut any slack, but unless you're going to put their name in the obit, it's not going to have any impact on them. I don't think I've ever seen that done.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

3/20/22 8:16 PM

I wasn't' thinking about naming the driver, just the basic fact of it.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

3/22/22 6:14 PM

I haven't been lurking much lately, just tuned in and saw this. Terrible and tragic.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

4/20/22 8:09 PM

Sad to hear this. Go**amn distracted drivers. I can say it with more conviction now that I'm not a driver anymore.

I did not know (or can't recall) that Rick was a practitioner of Zen Buddism. I never met the man and only know him through TTF, but chatting about bikes and Buddhism would be fun.

It goes without saying, never take things for granted. Enjoy every ride that you can take and spread the joy of cycling to others.

(So good to see that the TTF regulars are still around and swinging the leg over the top tube. I will check in occasionally now that I am permanently unemployed.)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -