CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Move Campy rim brake group to disc frame?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

3/7/22 8:21 AM

Move Campy rim brake group to disc frame?

The gravel Cervelo I just bought from my friend who was retiring from his LBS business is 105. I took it out for a short ride around the block yesterday to check fit/feel and realised that no, I really am not going to be ok with a Shimano drivetrain. I certainly could get used to it but I don't want to. ;)

I have 11 spd Record for rim brakes on my Strong and am curious what I'd need to do/buy transfer most of it it over?

I've read there are cable-actuated disc brakes...what are your thoughts on them as compared to fluid? If I stick to fluid I know I'll need to buy new ergo levers...will they work with the 105 brakes or would I need to buy brakes as well? I assume most of the rest is interchangeable with the possible exception of the bottom bracket but I lack knowledge to even guess on that one.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/7/22 9:12 AM

Walter is using ergos with juin tech GT-F 4 pot cable actuated hybrid hydro calipers with good results he says.

I put one on front of Roubaix, replacing a Spyre and better power for sure.

Mine is SH cable pull ratio VS Campy. But Water said he is happy. Other folks on PL also done this with campy.

Pauls Clampers have a campy ratio actuator arm option. But very very expensive path.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Campyman

3/7/22 9:25 AM

Cable operated Hydro Disc Brakes

Check out these.

https://trpcycling.com/product/hy-rd-kit/

Here is the link to the Pull arms to convert these to Campy Levers Pull Ratio.

https://www.amazon.com/JJBP-Short-Pull-Conversion-Brake/dp/B073CCKD85

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/7/22 9:32 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2745813&postcount=15

I have the hy/rd, and agree with others they are heavy unattrative and have issues getting lever right. If you tighten cable adj to have lever move less the arm won't come back out enough to let more fluid into the piston. As pad wears this is a problem.

Newer versions may have resolved this, but cant confirm it myself.

As far as Pauls $! I have mini moto V on a CX/Canti bike. 300.00 brakes that are worth the price of admission. But definitely expensive.. Clamper will be too.

Side Note; All my fronts that are cable actuated got big improvement with Swiss Stop Green Organic pads. Don't bother on rear calipers. I particularly find OEM TRP pad perform poorly at best when bedded correctly, total shit at worst if not bedded correctly.

I think the pads are more important than the expensive compression-less housings for cable actuated calipers. My experience here is that the front run is too short to matter, and having a better rear brake is not something I desire. I say this having used the top end Jagwire. If there is better housings I can not speak to them.

I do advocate for polished stainless brake cables being mandatory though..

walter

3/13/22 8:06 PM

Correct. Juin-tech GTs with ergo 10 levers and semi compressionless braided housing and polished cables. Works great for a flat-lander. Would be even better with top-shelf compressionless housing.

RCoapman

4/14/22 11:52 AM

Ended up ordering Paul's. Been waiting for weeks with no ETA yet.

When I ordered it was ~$240 and I thought, "that's not that bad for a set of brakes." Then I realized, literally three weeks after, that I'd only ordered one. D'OH! Expensive indeed. By then I'd waited so long I just had them add another to the order vs waiting longer for something else. They were super easy to work with on that.

A bit painful to the credit card, but I know I won't regret them being on the bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/22 2:45 PM

Yeah, Pauls quality is 2nd to none. MiniMotos I have are about best brakes I have ever used.

Got them on this.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -