HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

dddd in BQ?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

12/27/21 6:23 PM

dddd in BQ?

My Bicycle Quarterly arrived today (the Jan Heine/ Rene Herse publication) and it contained a story on a Marin County “un-meeting” featuring the iconic Jacquie Phelan among others. It described, and pictured, an unnamed cyclist on a yellow Pedersen “with its unique small tubed frame and hammock saddle.” Now, who would show up on that bike but our own dddd?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/27/21 8:07 PM

Especially a yellow one maybe...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

12/28/21 9:02 AM

Speaking of which...

Have you seen the Pedersen tandem?

http://www.pedersenbicycles.com/tandemarticle.htm

Sparky

12/28/21 11:56 AM

Thinking a Pedersen is the perfect perch for those Soma Sparrow bars.

Andy M-S

12/28/21 1:02 PM

>Thinking a Pedersen is the perfect perch for those Soma Sparrow bars.

I Concur.

dddd

12/28/21 4:24 PM

Thanks, Dan

With things being busy, I hadn't had the time to unwrap my copy of BQ yet, and suddenly went to see what this was about.

The Un-Meeting DirtVenture was a heck of a ride, with much of the 55 miles spent on steep and very rocky trails. Not what I had expected before pre-riding the DirtVenture loop, as I figured the ride along San Geronimo Ridge might be fairly smooth and only occasionally steep!
Meeting Jacqui Phelan again after so many years was fun, the picture shows her handing me a photo of her posing on "Otto" that her husband Richard Cunningham built for her to race (quite successfully).

The story gets longer as my earlier pre-ride (of the DirtVenture route of the Un-meeting) was so rough as to crack my frame, and with no local framebuilder willing to touch it on such short notice. So I had to fashion a "mechanical bandage" at home (and which would also carry me through a couple of late-season CX races, fifth place in B's being my best finish during this busier year.)

The "moral" of my pre-ride adventure was a very firm decision to find and fit the widest tires that I could, to be run at much lower pressure.
Yes, the chosen route was effective in selling another pair of tires, lol.
The 42mm Hurricane Ridge tires bloated to 43mm on my i22mm Mavic Allroads, and were perfect for this Un-meeting (I even used them for my subsequent 'cross races).

Those handlebars are actually made by Nitto, sourced used (so model unknown, though I probably have them on upside-down?). I chose them for their greater heft after breaking a generic bar during practice some years ago.

Here's a couple of pictures showing my repair (and of the bike and it's new tires):

The ever-growing crack:

Chain guide plate added:

[/img][/b]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/21 4:43 PM

Nice ad-hoc repair there.

Is the final repair just a brass filet buildup? Are you going to repaint it, or just where needed?

Andy M-S

12/28/21 6:17 PM

Impressive!

That's quite the repair job.

dan emery

12/28/21 6:48 PM

Cool

Nice work in several respects.

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/28/21 9:17 PM

Thanks, that repair took me all day, after days of perusing my options before even starting!

Not sure when I will have the frame repaired by the local trusted pro in Sacramento, but I've talked to him about it and it will get done.
Not an easy job either, since all three adjacent tubes need to be fixtured before brass-melting temperatures are applied while the middle tube is removed, prepped and replaced so as to remove any hint of a stress riser.

I finally looked over the tandem link! I found that his was a lot like my own experience of getting my bike set up for racing over MANY hours of tinkering.
23 years on and I'm still not done, with recent shorter cranks and taller saddle positioning making the ride better than ever.
I knew of the tandem article's author Dave Ductor, since I recall him selling off a bunch of unpainted Pedersen frames in the late 90's when I was first getting ready to race mine. I ended up instead buying my backup-spare bike from a shop in Pasadena who had the 30-y-o unused bike on display. I got it for only $750 already painted, but did have to drive 5+5 hours (though got some road rides in with my old riding buddies while I was there).

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -