Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

2021 TDF Stage 20 TT [SPOILERS!]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/17/21 10:01 AM

2021 TDF Stage 20 TT [SPOILERS!]

Wout is an animal..

Vingegaard ate up Carapaz, In case Carapaz thought he'd nudge his way to 2nd podium place, not. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

LeeW

7/17/21 12:15 PM

Not too unexpected wrt Carapaz vs Vinge. Jonas took Richard by just short of 90 sec in the stage 5 ITT, and this one was longer.

Pog looked like he wanted to avoid taking any risks and just cruise in I'm sure his DS gave him a good strategy talk.

I still don't know what to make of Pog, I first started following the Tour with LeMond in '86 (I only bought my first adult bike in '85 to cross train and give my body a break from running.). I was used to seeing riders like LeMond, Hinaut, and Fignon looking absolutely trashed after attacking each other on a brutal mtn stage. They would look they just finished an ultra-marathon in Death Valley during July.

OTOH, Pog looks like he's not highly stressed on the HC climbs and while he might sit on the finish pavement for a minute or two, he then jumps up and looks fresh as the proverbial daisy and speaks coherently and alertly.

Hoping this guy is a freak of nature with some unheard of VO2 Max and incredible power-to-weight ratio and is not instead on some nexgen pharma that might not even be recognized or tested for yet.

I vote for the first one, but he does look incredible.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/17/21 12:52 PM

"some nexgen pharma that might not even be recognized or tested for yet. "

Yeah, this thought never escapes me either...

Nick Payne

7/18/21 12:10 AM

Interesting article on the prevalence of doping in sport on the Economist website:

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2021/07/14/sport-is-still-rife-with-doping

You might find it paywalled - some of my friends were able to get to it and others not. I sent the link to a friend who worked for ASADA (Australian Sports Anti Doping Authority) for 25 years, and he reckons it's pretty accurate.

On the subject of Pogačar, I note that the UAE team manager is Mauro Gianetti - as well as being a successful pro during the rocket-fuelled 1990s, he was also director at Saunier-Duval when the team was kicked out of the TdF after Ricardo Ricco failed his dope tests...if these teams are clean, why hire staff with known doping associations.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/18/21 10:59 AM

Good read there...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -