Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Times page; Jakobsen / Groenewegen content

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/30/21 9:36 PM

Times page; Jakobsen / Groenewegen content

"How a Horrifying Cycling Crash Set Up a Battle Over Safety"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/30/sports/cycling/riders-crashes-uci-safety.html

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Tom Price

1/31/21 1:36 PM

I think the UCI needs to set up routes without as much traffic furniture and roundabouts. This may mean moving sprint finishes away from town centers. Also the bike rack type of barriers have to be eliminated at the sprint finishes. The legs of the current type of barriers snag the riders and in extreme cases the barriers can separate causing more injuries. Perhaps an interlocking plastic barrier similar to the ones used at indoor go-kart tracks. They need something that stays together and something that offers some energy absorption.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/217650594469466954/

Here are some proposed rules from the UCI:

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/road-cycling-the-uci-announces-the-introduction-of-numerous-measures-to-improve-rider-safety-as-of-2021

Brian Nystrom

2/1/21 1:26 PM

It sounds good on paper, but as they say, the devil is in the details.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/19/21 4:07 AM

Came across this photo (one of the entries in the World Press Photo Contest). I think the NYT article used a smaller version in their article. The contest entry is too large to see the whole thing even on a 4k monitor, but click on the link below and it should open in a new tab automatically sized to fit the browser window:

https://www.worldpressphoto.org/getmedia/9bf31789-7b93-4074-ab86-7e29ffd73d25/WPP-2021PhotoContest-SP-TomaszMarkowski.jpg

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/21/21 3:43 PM

Yeah, that's a pretty sobering image.

Reply to topic    

dddd

5/3/21 2:16 PM

I think what is needed is for there to be bike-slowing rumble strips at least a foot and a half out from any barrier wall or fence.

Just removing barrier legs removes the needed deterrent from a rider riding too close to a barrier surface, where such surfaces can still rip a rider's handlebar from their hands, causing a pile-up in all directions.

A shallow rubber ramp leading up to any barrier surface might be better yet than a rumble strip, similarly imposing a "wattage" penalty to any rider riding too close to the barrier surface.

Reply to topic    

dddd

5/3/21 2:23 PM

"...pretty sobering image."

That's like "photo of the decade" if you ask me.

Really a lot going on there, riders amazingly still holding their bars and even brake levers(!), bike in low orbit with Mr. Specialized flying out of the picture, gad!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/10/21 2:31 PM

Groenewegen's 9 mo suspension up just a few days before Giro. So he is racing, and looking crazy strong too.

Right there on the Stage 2 Sprint. 4th over line in the cluster...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -