HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Look 785 Huez RS?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

1/1/21 6:07 PM

Look 785 Huez RS?

Does anyone here have - or know someone who has - one of the rim-brake versions of the Look 785 Huez RS? I'm trying to find out what the max tire size is, but what little info I can find is pretty sketchy and inconsistent. It comes with 25s, but I'd like to know if it has room for 28s.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/1/21 7:16 PM

I did a search over on Paceline and did a reach out for someone who once posted about that Look I think.

It was a 2018 post, but he was logged on today. See if I can scavenge data for you...

Is that a disc frameset?

Last edited by Sparky on 1/1/21 7:21 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/1/21 7:16 PM

Thanks Sparky, much appreciated!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/1/21 10:49 PM

This says so

https://www.lookcycle.com/pl-en/products/bikes/road-bikes/altitude/785-huez/785-huez-rs-frameset-2021

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/1/21 11:03 PM

No reply yet. But that link has a product PDF catalog, Product information Button:

Last line page 4:

COMPATIBLE WITH TIRES WITH A MAXIMUM SIZE OF 28 MM FOR THE RIM BRAKE VERSION AND 30 MM FOR THE DISC BRAKE VERSION

https://www.lookcycle.com/download/products-bikes-2021/downloads/785-huez-rs/catalogue-huez-en-es.pdf

Sparky

1/2/21 7:35 AM

fignon's barber sent you message: "Re: 785 Huez RS"

hi rob, I would say you could fit a 32mm in there. The biggest I use are 28mm corsa control, which balloon to over 30mm, and there was plenty of room. Best carbon bike I've every ridden too. best, Steve

Follow up: he confirmed disc

Brian Nystrom

1/2/21 8:51 AM

Thanks Sparky.

The frame I'm looking at is a 2019 and I wasn't able to find anything about it online. I don't think they changed the design for 2021, so the info on their website should be accurate. Somehow, I missed that, which shows why it's good to have a second pair of eyes take a look (no pun intended).

I can't see myself ever riding wider than 28mm tires on a road bike, so if I can negotiate the price I want, I'll probably grab it.

This will replace my Look 585, which has developed a BB issue: the threaded inserts have de-bonded from the shell and I can't unscrew the bearing cups (the inserts turn in the frame, albeit with considerable force required. I've contacted some carbon repair companies about it. One wouldn't touch it, one didn't respond and a third is on vacation for a few weeks. I may try to repair it myself, assuming I can get the inserts out off the BB shell and off of the cups.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/21 9:56 AM

There is more 30mm corroborating @ this link.

https://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Look/785+Huez+RS+Disc/2021/

Sorry to hear about your 585. I would consider loosing mine a great loss indeed. Hope you can DIY it back into service.

Brian Nystrom

1/2/21 10:49 AM

Wrench Science has a page on the rim-brake bike that lists 28mm as the largest tire size, so I'm satisfied it will work if I decide to go that route. All of my road clinchers have old-school narrow rims, so that will help, too.

Yeah, the 585 is a pretty amazing bike; it rides as well as more modern frames, despite having round tubes and lugs (a la Colnago). Mine still works, but I'm getting creaking from the drivetrain and through testing I've excluded the pedals, crank and rear wheel as sources, so I suspect that it's coming from the BB inserts.

It appears that I can tap the cup/insert assemblies out of the BB shell from the inside, but getting the inserts off of the cups could be a challenge. I'm hoping that once they're out of the shell, I'll be able to heat them a bit and separate them from the cups.

The inserts fit so tightly in the shell that any adhesive I put on them is going to get scraped off, so I may have to machine some very shallow grooves in them to hold epoxy.

It's not going to be a simple fix, but it's worth effort to save the frame.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/21 11:17 AM

"All of my road clinchers have old-school narrow rims, so that will help, too."

Help if too wide, but make tire taller and if the caliper it tight I have found wider rim can help the tallness.

I'd use more than less PSI with 28+ tire on 15c rim FWIW, well I do actually. ;)

KerryIrons

1/3/21 10:22 AM

Variable width

It's sort of been addressed in the discussion, but it's worth noting that saying a frame will take a given tire size can be a "thin ice" comment. We all know how much rim width can affect installed tire width, and of course there is the difference in one brand/model of tire to the next when both are a given nominal size. The spreadsheet that could hold all of the needed data would be large and very difficult to assemble.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/3/21 11:34 AM

Yeah

My RSL specs say max 28, I run 32s. I think the only way to know is to put them on the bike and see. Which admittedly usually doesn’t help you if planning a purchase.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/4/21 8:07 PM

I'm having second thoughts after learning that it has a PF86 (a.k.a., BB86) bottom bracket. All of my cranks have 30mm spindles and with PF86, that means small bearings that are not ideal for longevity. I'm not going to buy a new crank just to accommodate this frame (I already have two spare cranks with 30mm spindles), So I have to decide if it's worth taking a chance on it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/4/21 8:15 PM

How many bikes do you rotate thru?

I have come to think due to riding any one bike minimally [just because I have lots to grab] for me it is unlikely I'd wear out and given part on one very fast.

But it is too bad that one has a box you can't check..

Brian Nystrom

1/5/21 7:16 AM

I have two road bikes that I usually keep in different location (at home and at Linda's), so they get used somewhat unevenly. I'm not doing big miles or big watts, so perhaps my concern isn't warranted.

This time of year, I'm most frequently off-pavement riding either the gravel bike, hardtail MTB or fat bike, depending on conditions.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -