HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New used bike added to the fleet.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/15/20 10:43 PM

New used bike added to the fleet.

Sold the 80th anniversary Super Record Group, and filtered some of the coin for something special, I thought.

5-6 year old Tomii Team Stampede CX custom steel frameset.

Tossed some bits on, some 30mm WTB Alpine JBs and rolled it in between wet today. Mostly in wet it turned out. Rain, then hail.

Considering Tomii custom frames start @ $3k, and the artful paint/schemata/decor [Hot Tubes] well over $1k, Add Enve fork, King headset.. yada.

It may as well have been made custom for me, lucky again, fit is stellar.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

11/18/20 1:19 PM

I was gonna say, looks like it fits well from looks of the setup.
Never heard of Tomii though, seems rare.

Crazy-a** shift levers, whaddayathink?

I'm thinking that rim brakes are still the way to go unless it's wet much of the time, since a lighter and more-resilient bike results.
And the deals are on rim-braked bikes these days, oh, the deals!

I came home with a rare (sold as frameset only) 1978 Nishiki ONP Pro road bike from Goodwill last week, 15-speed triple and with Phil/MA40 wheels and cool CLB sidepull brakes. I didn't have to sell anything since it was priced at only $24.99 missing it's saddle and post. Short wheelbase with vertical dropouts, no eyelets full race iow.

I'm finishing up a Diverge build today, for a friend who bought the F/F from his neighbor. Cool bike but I'm sort of hating the ridiculously wide/flared bars he supplied.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/18/20 2:01 PM

>>Crazy-a** shift levers, whaddayathink?

Big in the CX scene here for a while now, curiosity got the best of me. So far I'd say if you stay on the hoods a lot you would probably like them. Usually on the tops myself, but on wet surfaces you tend to keep brakes closer. Late braking not great on wet, add leaves.. worse. So I like them so far.

>>I'm sort of hating the ridiculously wide/flared bars he supplied.

They have their place. I think our tandem could benefit from them for the huge leverage. But a loaded bike packing on loose surfaces seem a good place for them.

Two good ride so far. On wet pave with 30mm Ritchey Alpines it felt like it rode smooth and nice.

The 33mm tubulars in the woods it felt stiffer to me.
I had some pave to ride @ about 50/50, so kept PSi probably high for tubulars. Plus I tend to stay in the pedals and front end light on dirt/mud, so different.

Another fit win on a used custom though..

Note on the MiniMoto Pauls, potent! Conscious light touch on loose stuff required...

dfcas

11/18/20 3:55 PM

past experience with mini vs makes me think that they may be a good candidate for travel agents because it would increase clearance at the rim and take a little power out of them. Being used to cantis the mini vs were too strong for me to switch back and forth. If you rode mini vs all the time no problem but they are strong brakes.

Sparky

11/19/20 9:50 PM

Correction, paint by JL Custom Paint

Brian Nystrom

11/20/20 7:09 AM

How mini V-brakes feel and how much pad clearance they provide is hugely dependent on the brake levers, because different brands use different leverage ratios. I've found that they work better with Campy than with SRAM or Shimano, due to Campy's lower leverage ratio.

That said, mini Vs are really just a band-aid for bikes built in the pre-disc brake era. There's a reason that Linda and I don't ride our old 'cross bikes anymore; the discs on our newer bikes are vastly superior. This is true for any application where cantilever or V-brakes were once dominant.

For regular road bikes, I'm happy with calipers and have no plans to change.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/20/20 10:14 AM

Since Campy brake levers pull less cable are they not a higher leverage ratio?

Sparky

11/20/20 10:14 AM

You're intimating non disc for road bike, not canti?

This bike started as a NIB TRP EUROX carbon Canti set I had. Then because of the S bend stays the rears could not align to the rim, worst laid plans. ;)

It originally had MiniMotos and I knew they'd lived on it, so I actually bought a new set. They are nicely implemented and quality city. I like getting something NIB, a trend going forward? ;)

If I pop on Di2 1x11 which I am considering, I have some carbon Record brake levers on the wall. I believe they may have less pull then the Gevenvalle short pull levers.

I don't really have an issue with the extra power. If you can ride a Buell Lightning [had one 2006-9] with that front brake and non ABS you can modulate anything. ;) 8 years of MX on loose surfaces, my brain is connected well to my brake hands.

I may try a different pad compound being I put Shimano MTB pad carries. The Mini Moto came with kool stop salmon MTB type I did not use, prefer pad carriers. They came with red oxide pads, very grippy.

Oh, I also used compression-less housings FWIW.

Sparky

11/20/20 10:32 AM

BTW, anyone else using Swiss Stop BXP on rim road calipers? Came on the Dura Ace Calipers on my Team Domane. I will be buying more...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -