HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Inexpensive access to English language Tour coverage

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/2/20 6:17 AM

Inexpensive access to English language Tour coverage

As a test, I installed ExpressVPN ($12.95 for 30 days, much cheaper for longer plans). I'm able to connect to ITV4 in the UK and SBS in Australia, both of which are free. I actually have both running at the moment on separate computers.

I tried subscribing to Eurosport, but they reject both PayPal and credit cards on US banks, so I'm out of luck there. Shucks, I guess I'll just have to settle for not paying for coverage.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 9/12/20 10:18 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/2/20 9:14 AM

What is the commentating comprised of for each?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/2/20 9:52 AM

Both are good. SBS has Mathew Keenan, Robbie McEwen, Rochelle Gilmore and Bridie O'Donnell. ITV4 has Ned Boulting and David Millar. SBS coverage starts earlier, but ITV4 does an hour recap of the previous stage.

I stuck with SBS this morning and will probably do so going forward.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/3/20 3:01 PM

If you have the VPN you can probably also get to the SBS daily hour-long highlights packages and two hour stage replay for each stage. Available here:
https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ (scroll down to the "TDF Programs" tab).

SBS also have a tour tracker phone app that has live streaming of the full stages available. In our timezone the stages start around 9:30pm our time, so I tend to lie in bed with a tablet and headphones, and watch the initial part of each stage to see the break develop and possibly the intermediate sprint, before going to sleep and catching up with the rest the following day. The Android app is here (don't know about IOS version, nor if geo-blocking is implemented): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.au.com.sbs.tdf2011.android

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/12/20 7:56 AM

Thanks for posting this Brian, I went this route and have been watching the SBS coverage daily.
It's pretty good stuff.
Have you had any luck with the ITV4 broadcast?, it seems like you also need a ITV account to watch it.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/12/20 10:15 AM

Since I got SBS working well, I haven't bothered with anything else, as the coverage and commentators there are good. At Linda's, I hook my laptop up to her TV. At home, I've got it on a snack tray next to the desk with my work computer.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/12/20 10:56 AM

The setup here is decent connectivity wise being we cut the cable years ago..

I was using Chrome browser on my LapTop casting to TV via a Chromecast HDMI adapter. Only because the Tivo Sports Gold App would not do the older replays and it was obvious they had no interest in fixing it.

I did get an adapter so the Chromecast could go RJ45 @ 100base-T [instead of wireless G being old] and that helped tremendously.

But now I am only watching new stuff, so Tivo Sports Gold app it is. But at least that is Wireless N and not G like the old Chromecast was pre-adapter/RJ45 to router. Ya.. Da!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/16/20 7:07 AM

I had some issues connecting to SBS yesterday and the live feed isn't working today. ITV4 works fine.

UPDATE: I did a bunch of testing (different servers, rebooting everything) and eventually found that I had to go back to the SBS Home page, click the live TDF link, then click play on the coverage screen and it worked fine. Perhaps they changed the link slightly.

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/16/20 8:28 PM

Yeah SBS has been working fine for me the last few days.
Though I do with they had a better post stage show.
I have yet to manage to get into ITV4, do you need to set up a ITV account?.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/17/20 6:28 AM

You can sign up for a free ITV account.

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/17/20 7:25 AM

Right, but dont you need a UK address?
Or do you just make one up?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/17/20 11:06 AM

Frankly, I don't remember what I did, so I checked my account. I think it just requires a post code and I used E203EL

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/21/20 2:46 PM

Any idea if SBS or ITV will be broadcasting any of the other upcoming races i.e. Worlds, Giro etc...?

I only paid for a month of the VPN, but maybe I'll extend if I can see more racing, it was great for the Tour

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/22/20 10:19 AM

I'm not certain, but cycling is part of their standard sports lineup. Perhaps there's something on their websites about upcoming races.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/22/20 3:59 PM

quote:
Any idea if SBS or ITV will be broadcasting any of the other upcoming races i.e. Worlds, Giro etc...?

SBS has live coverage of the womens and mens road races at the world championships this weekend. They also have Fleche Wallone live on Wed 30th and Liege-Bastogne-Liege on the following Sunday. Don't know about the Giro.

p.s. All the above coverage is on their secondary channel - what they call, for some reason, "Viceland".

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/24/20 7:56 PM

Thanks for posting Nick

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -