Sparky

8/3/20 10:36 AM

From Pace Line Thread: Garmin paid the ransom

Or so it would appear.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/repo...-to-hackers-2/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

8/3/20 2:13 PM

When Garmin bought Tacx they shut down all service and support for the Neo Smart trainer I have. Note this was a $1600 trainer and at 3 or more years old they won't repair or even sell parts to repair it if it needs anything. The only thing they offer is a slight discount on a new trainer. It looks like when this one goes I'll be buying a Wahoo.

dan emery

8/3/20 2:35 PM

Well Dan

Just lay off those 1800 watt sprints and it ought to last.

I’ve got a Computrainer that isn’t supported but I don’t expect to need to replace it. I used it mainly in the winter when I was trying to get into great shape but I doubt I’ll get back to that level and will just go out and snowshoe or something more of the time.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/20 4:18 PM

"I’ve got a Computrainer that isn’t supported but I don’t expect to need to replace it."

We still have a pair. And speaking of laying off 1800 watt efforts, did you get a non die-cast flywheel under recall before they ran out and stopped support altogether?? New ones forged steel I think. I know you and I are not like our Hillbilly 1800 watter and may be moot...

dfcas

8/3/20 5:58 PM

I resemble the hillbilly part but not the 1800 watt part.

On a more seriously note i thought parts were required to be available for some number of years after an item is made/ sold. These smert trainers are pretty frail and mother boards go out pretty regularly. May have something to do with the heat up/ cool down cycles.

Anyway garmin wont sell parts for my trainer.

Sparky

8/3/20 6:44 PM

"Anyway garmin wont sell parts for my trainer."

You need to learn how to code ransomware obviously.

greglepore

8/3/20 6:53 PM

Really? No support for a high end trainer like that. Yikes. That sucks.

dfcas

8/3/20 7:00 PM

Garmin says no support for out of warranty trainers. The only thing they offer is a slight discount for a new trainer. People like me are pissed on the facebook neo groups.

Brian Nystrom

8/4/20 7:35 PM

Garmin products suck, their "support" is a myth and they apparently hire the worst software engineers on the planet. I'm using an Edge 820 currently, but it will be my last Garmin product, as it's a pain in the ass, and I don't even use any of the more complex features that are known problems.

I don't recall hearing about them buying Tacx and that's concerning, as Linda and I both have Neos and a good friend recently bought a Neo 2 based on our recommendations. Tacx's service was great, considering that it was based in Europe. I'm not at all surprised that Garmin is trashing the company, as they seem like a bunch of clueless morons who couldn't care less about customer service. The only reason they're as big as they are is that they got to the market early and dominated it. Based purely on the quality of their products and service, they don't deserve to survive.

Between this and the Wahoo/Speedplay debacle, I really wonder what he hell is going on in the bike biz.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -