CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tubulars, trip back to the dark side complete...
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

8/5/20 10:55 AM

Glad no injury

Lightweights, damn

Reply to topic    

dfcas

8/5/20 1:38 PM

Dan at least he only has 1 set. 😀
All my wheels are heavyweights.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/5/20 2:23 PM

Like to hear about what tires you are using and what kinda service you both expect and are seeing. Was the blowout a seam/thread bust on older tire or something.

Sizes and pressures rolling of interest as well.

I have running 3 sets of tubulars now, my new coin loss direction. One XTR with 30mm, one CX 33s and the Rolf Prima that are CX that I am using road. The extra CX beef for this Clydz.

I am still drooling over the 23mm CX/SC Vitt 23mm on Primas test ride on my S-works Tarmac the other day, felt soooo good. But will replace with a more Strada-ish 25 most probably.

greglepore

8/10/20 3:57 PM

Bob- I'm the wrong guy to ask about mileage, as I rotate the bikes so much that its hard to tell. I'm not the sort of guy that keeps a log. The old garmins were good for that...

Anyway, currently I have Veloflexes and FMB's on the bikes. I've been very happy with the Veloflex, getting decent life out of them with few flats. The tire that blew was a couple seasons old, maybe 1500/2k mi. Fronts last me forever. I have no idea why it blew, no fod that I could see. Had just aired it .

The fmbs were bought relatively cheap on ebay from a shop closing down. They ride great, but no better than 25mm Veloflexes, are much more expensive at retail and suffer from the hand glued tread coming loose on so me.

I use 25's for the most part, gumwalls, and a 28 on the Ottrott rear. The 28 Veloflexes are magic carpets, but the do steer a little slower than a 25...

The lightweights? 2 sets of standards plus an extra rear. One set of Ventoux.
All but one set of the standards were bought cheap with some damage of one sort or another and repaired in house.

dan emery

8/10/20 5:18 PM

Setas?

Greg,

Tried any silk tubies? I remember the old del Mondos.

I’d love to try the FMB 30 mm setas. Not enough to buy wheels, though. And I’m not sure they’d be noticeably better that the Rene Herse 32mm Stampede Pass extralight clinchers. Would have to ride them. At this point I’m not interested in anything less than 30mm (if they fit). Not concerned about fast steering...😀

I have some old Veloflex that may still hold air, but I think they’re the old 21.5 or 22 or whatever, no thanks.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/11/20 12:06 PM

I have a pair of Dugast seta 25's in hiding that I'll get around to eventually...everyone else has given up.

dan emery

8/11/20 12:21 PM

Aha

No doubt aging for six years in your climate controlled wine cellar....

You’ve got some gear, dude

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/16/20 5:25 PM

Got around to ordering the 25mm Donnelly LGG 25mm Tubeless Tubulars. Not spent like this on tires in my life. But I did manage the LGG @ 89.00 ea. and the Strada 30mm @ 82.00. Most prices I saw in the 125.00+ each range for these.

These will go on the Rolf CX58 and I have enough carbon pads for 3 bikes, 2 more after the Tarmac.

So will have two bikes for the 2 cabon wheelsets. LGG/Rolfs to swap back and forth with the Carbon clincher Bonty xxx climber wheels. Thinking the Look 585 maybe...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -