HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Kayak trailer?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

7/1/20 3:26 PM

Kayak trailer?

With virus stuff I haven’t been using my kayak, but I should start. Not having a helper, and having a sketchy back, getting the boat on the roof is doable but not fun for me. My new car will have a trailer hitch. So, for Brian or anyone else, any downside (other than cost) to using a trailer? I’m thinking I would get out more that way. TIA

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/20 5:18 PM

My neighbor gets me to lift her boat up for her often.

She ordered a suction cup roller thing I will help get installed and lined up for her tallish Subaru. Should be here any day now, can keep you posted if you like...

https://www.amazon.com/Codinter-Roller-Assist-Heavy-Duty-Suction/dp/B07WFJHPFY

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/1/20 5:26 PM

Hmmm

Thanks, looks like it might possibly work. I’ll let you test it!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/20 6:25 PM

Trailer wise, when we get some boats, a trailer it will be as we will get two. And have the trailer already.

I got a 4'6" x 8' Aluminum trailer with a 4' drop ramp gate I picked up early this year. Used and provisions for good quick release tie downs points [6] and a removable wheel chuck for a Harley. What is was originally purchased for.

I went Alloy as it is like 330 lb. My 4cyl CRV AWD is rated 2000lb tow capacity. So I figured the extra payload over a steel trailer being so much lighter with the 4 cyl was worth the ample extra coin for alloy over steel. No paint or rust other pluses.

I will make a pallet A-frame to strap on for our two, and two more I figure. being we have none and they seem all sold out here, will wait I guess.

Just how our thought process on similar tasks has developed thus far.

Tom Price

7/1/20 6:27 PM

Cycling Relate

The roller looks like it is made with a set of drop handlebars.

Brian Nystrom

7/1/20 6:30 PM

The best solution would be a paddling partner, both to help with handling the boats and to help you stay safer on the water. If you haven't checked put local clubs for someone to paddle with, you should. I know there are NSPN members from your area, but I don't have any names for you. I'm sure that there are ME-based clubs, too. For that matter, Tom Berg may know people near you.

As for trailers, the biggest issue is that they take up a lot of room, particularly when it comes to parking. That can be a real headache at put-ins. Storage may or may not be an issue for you, but it's another consideration. Some may argue that they expose the boat(s) to more potential for damage from cars around you. Most utility and boat trailers are designed for much heavier loads and the suspension is too stiff - which can beat up a kayak - so the best bet is a kayak-specific trailer. However, they tend to be pricey.

The upside is that they are definitely are easier to load and if you get a dolly for it (https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-60533.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer+dolly), you can wheel it to and from the water (assuming a boat ramp or other reasonably solid surface) without the hassle of backing up or carrying the boat, both of which can be a pain. If you decide to get one, make sure it has at least 12" wheels, which are much better for highway use than common 8" wheels.

If you decide to go with a roof rack, a roller of some sort can make getting a boat on and off your vehicle a lot easier. I've seen some petite, older women put big boats on tall vehicles solo by using a roller, or even just a piece of carpet to slide the boat on. If you only have to lift one end at a time and push the boat up, it makes a dramatic difference.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/20 6:34 PM

Our neighbor meets friends, so they unload/load with 2-3 paddlers at launch site.. I get to toss it up for her, it is a light 35lb small boat. Only time I had less than a quick hoist/toss was once she caught me off a 50 miler I rode hard and fast [fast for me]...

She has hopes the roller method will help her load solo with less injury risk to car and self. Looking at the scratches on her hatch edges, a few 'A' for effort attempts have been... well attempted.

EDIT: txted her and she did not order it as of yet.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/1/20 7:42 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

7/1/20 6:39 PM

Any comment on Burly trailers while I have all your attention. Honey Bee or something. My Niece is looking we thought it would make a nice gift. Seem some are plastic wheels, some are alloy? Nicer units laced spokes.

lrzipris

7/2/20 5:42 AM

Dan, have you considered a Hullavator or a Hull-a-Port? The arms come down to about waist height, making the lift of the kayak into more of a shift.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/2/20 7:29 AM

Actually

I can get the boat up reasonably from the rear with the rack system I have now, lifting the front end and sliding it up with a towel underneath. I was just thinking with a new car with a hitch, maybe a trailer might be even easier. Probably not worth the trouble though. The Y has a cool roof rack, and I could probably use the mounts I have now, or get similar Yakima mounts with rollers built in.

The bigger problem really is just getting out of the boat. I know the techniques, but my various orthopaedic issues have destroyed any ability to get my butt up from the ground. I can always do it eventually, but it ain’t pretty. OTOH I can sit comfortably on the bike all day, so that’s the easier choice.

Reply to topic    

PLee

7/2/20 8:11 AM

Is the Model Y roof rack meant to be permanently installed? I watched a video about it and it looks like it would be a pain to take off and put back on.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/2/20 10:09 AM

Well, if you can manage to find a relatively calm spot to land, you can pull your legs out while you're still in a foot or so of water and straddle the boat. That way, you're not trying to stand from a deep crouching position.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/2/20 10:19 AM

@Brian

I understand that, but I don’t always find such venues.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/2/20 10:28 AM

@Parkin

I’ve also seen a video, but not sure why you’d want to take it off. I’ve got a Thule rack on my A4, I leave it on. I think people generally leave racks on (the crossbars anyway). I expect you could take the Y rack off and on without too much problem, but most wouldn’t. I think the aero loss is small, so I doubt there’s much effect on range.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/2/20 10:44 AM

"I understand that, but I don’t always find such venues."

That's part of the beauty of paddling, learning to adapt to the environment you're in. Sometimes, it just takes some creativity, but other times you just have to gut it out.

Reply to topic    

PLee

7/7/20 5:47 AM

Dan -

I've always taken my racks off when not in use. On my current R-Class, I notice a 1 to 1.5 mpg loss with them on, and they're pretty aero, made by Thule. Esthetically, I also prefer the no rack look except on SUV's which are designed with rack rails in place.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/7/20 8:41 AM

@Parkin

Well you are more industrious than I. I have done that with a rack I only use rarely, but for regular use, as with a kayak (hopefully) I would not take it on and off with every use.

Aesthetically, I prefer to at least foster the illusion of an active person.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -