HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

It goes (not) to 11

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wheels

5/30/20 7:21 PM

It goes (not) to 11

So I have started to get back on the bike after many years of hiatus for various reasons.

Went to start riding the riding the race bike a few weeks back and forgot that my 9-spd Ultegra shifters are shot. The shifting is fine to lower gears, but the ratchet for going back to higher gears is stripped.

So I have looked around for NOS Durace or Ultergra 9-spd, but no avail. I'd rather not buy an 11-spd group, or a complete bike and strip it for parts for the 9-spd. Ebay has some 9-spd shifters, but most are pretty beat up.

If I end up going to 11-spd, can I use the current RD and Front Chain rings? I know the cogset and chain are different (thinner).

I am perfectly content with 9-spd.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/20 8:01 PM

Wheels, Hi first off. ;)

A possible solution is MicroShift, they'd be plug and play.

Another option is 10 speed chain, cassette and shifters. You DRs and chainset will work.

The 10s options will be ST-6600, ST-R700, or the Microshift ST type. I'd avoid all the 57/67/7900 shifters.

I have 2 sets of the MicroShift 10s on bikes I won't replace. I like them better than the brake lever swing SHimano STi has. Wife's Madone has 9s Microshift.

They downshift under load better than any shifter I have used. Which was why they got put on my wife's bike, she waits until 50 RPM when she hits a hill to remember it was time 30RPM earlier...

You could also go with Campy/ERGO with a J-tek to shift what you have.

I think also a j-tek #2 will let you replace the shifters with 10s and use your existing drivetrain otherwise...

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-compatibility-charts-choices/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micronew-Road-Shifters-2X9-9-Speed-Compatible-For-Shimano-Derailleur-Lever/254190815942?epid=1639856160&hash=item3b2ef40ac6:g:-k8AAOSw5PJbBFXY

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

5/31/20 4:47 AM

Also, Campy 11 speed Ergolevers are plug and play. I had 3 bikes set up this way and they worked perfectly. Campy 2013 Chorus 11 speed ergolevers, Shimano 9 speed rear derailleur, and Shimano 9 speed cassette. Any front derailleur is OK with these Campy ergolevers.

sanrensho

5/31/20 5:33 PM

A full Ultegra R8000 11-speed groupset (rim brake) is about US$670 shipped from Merlin Cycles.

You can remove one cog and run it as 10-speed, if you want to keep using your existing wheels. I know you said you would prefer not to, but it would be like getting a whole new bike for around $550 (assuming you sell the old groupset).

Shimano Sora is perfectly usable and still 9-speed. New FD if needed would be cheap. Uses a different brake cable pull than your current 9-speed shifters, but I bet it would work passably well at least.

Are you sure the ratchet is physically stripped? It might just need a thorough WD-40 flush to revive.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/31/20 7:17 PM

"You can remove one cog and run it as 10-speed"

Or use the HG800-11-34 11 speed cassette that fits on 10s freehubs and have 11s. You'll want the GS RD for this.

Nick Payne

6/1/20 5:59 AM

quote:
Also, Campy 11 speed Ergolevers are plug and play. I had 3 bikes set up this way and they worked perfectly. Campy 2013 Chorus 11 speed ergolevers, Shimano 9 speed rear derailleur, and Shimano 9 speed cassette. Any front derailleur is OK with these Campy ergolevers.

Campagnolo changed the cable pull of their 11-speed shifters in 2015. So the older 11s Ergos work fine to change across 9-speed Shimano RD and cassette (I have some 2011 Chorus Ultra-shift Ergos doing exactly that), but the later 11s Campagnolo shifters won't.

You can tell the 2015+ products as they have a capital A in a square moulded or printed on them somewhere.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/1/20 2:41 PM

Hey Wheels

11 gives you room for a couple more BIG cogs....(like I have)

Glad to hear you’re back on the bike.

Reply to topic    

eragot

6/3/20 2:49 PM

I have 11spd Campy for you

Glad to hear you are riding again.
I have 11sp Chorus levers, FD&RD. 2017 or so is the year. I didn't use them much for various reasons. then on my CX bike which didn't get raced, the left lever stopped working properly. So I tossed Ultegra on there.
The left lever needs a rebuild.
Also an 11spd Ultegra Cassette will work just fine. I ran it that way all the time. Call that $50?

I'll sell the Campy stuff to you for anything you'd want to offer for them. plus shipping.
Let me know.
Eric

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7sBK882W3qu2F6X6

Reply to topic    

eragot

6/3/20 3:02 PM

Come to think of it you need different chainrings. Never mind, It was harder to move from 9-11 sped than I remembered

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/3/20 3:15 PM

Regarding the 9 speed Sora. That came on the 2014 Roubaix Disc I had bought. It shifted perfectly, although the down shift throw seemed huge even with my huge hands and long fingers. Although I can not speak for longevity.

But the little gear indicators in the windows rattled like mad, which was partially covered up by the full cable runs inside the DT tapping and the frame acting like a speaker. Bike lasted a very short while with me, the BB noise also was non conducive to sanity riding the thing...

Anyway, don't recommend them...

Anthony Smith

6/4/20 11:17 AM

Not a hard conversion

Ok I've done this numerous times.

What you need:
1) 11s 105 Brifters ($140.00)
2) 11s Cassette ($50.00)
3) 11s chain ($30.00)

Installing the brifters and chain is straight forward.
Route the shift cable to the opposite side of the bolt on the rear derailleur.
Dremel off a small bit of the stops on the inside (spoke side) of the cassette body (there is an older thread discussing this) and install the cassette.

You don't need any other new parts.

Reply to topic    

Wheels

6/4/20 8:45 PM

Thanks everyone.

I stole a bike from Rick Hardy. Don't worry he has like 20, so he doesn't know it is even gone.

Actually he wants to swap some Ultra shifters with the current Sora, so I get the Sora's for free if I do the swap.

Can't be that. Free.

Wheels.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -