HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Masks
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

5/21/20 6:25 PM

Jesus, Jesus Saves, what got you so angry? One of the great things about this forum, unlike other sports forums I follow, is that we generally respect each other even though we may disagree. Ad hominem arguments and insults add nothing to the debate.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/22/20 6:31 PM

Isolation?

Informed by headlines that isolation has brought forth anger, I speculate.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

5/24/20 7:17 AM

Many unaswered questions

Yes. I agree with what makes this forum great. And no I am not angry.

Rather, I am a very astute observer of human biases and self awareness, including my own. This topic has been an excellent case study. I find it fascinating. Really so.

Thank you for the concern and making it clear what your perception is.

However I do think so ad hominem attacks have been pointed at me. It's not really a debate when KI does not answer the question about why he chose inflation for i or use a financial calculation in lieu of an (income) insurance pricing calculation. Or how about the relevance of the dunning kruger effect? They still remain unanswered and unacknowledged.

They are very fair and on topic questions.

Who's debating that with me? No one. Why is that?

What was the point of DA's gratuitous post?

Or Sparky's repeated injections of only adding to the debate/conversation of are we done yet? Gratuitous. For sure. And it has happened many other instances in other threads/topics, directed at other people. It's sadly predictive and pathos.

He went out of his way to voluntarily write. Time well spent, maybe not you think? Would you walk over to another group in a bar and interrupt them like that? I don't think so unless you want to get your ass kicked. Or are you a big fan of Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber?

I provide a lot of topical, substative content concerning the questions I ask. If you do not want to respond to it or feel uncomfortable by such so be it.
That's okay. Having no interest in the topic and telling others to stop is not cool. Doubling down and digging your heels in deeper when getting called out patiently and politely by a subject matter expert, doubly not cool or okay.

You see it cuts both ways.

There's other topics to read and participate in on the forum. Have fun with that. I am not singling out you in particular.

Have a fine day, sir. To you and to all. Peace to you and maybe I, while Festivus for the rest of us.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/20 10:12 AM

"Or Sparky's repeated injections of only adding to the debate/conversation of are we done yet?"

You being in output mode did not notice, I was not participating, rather observing mostly.

Participation on my part could accidentally be construed as moderating to what degree the adults in the room mostly require nudges before things get out of hand. If said nudges work even a little I am OK with that direction as I am Moderating with some success at that point. It usually works without douch-bagery being inserted.

There are Moderators here, and I am one of them. So any behavioral nudges are bonafide.

Brian Nystrom

5/24/20 10:28 AM

JS, the real point is that this thread has run its course and nobody cares anymore. Let it die or take it offline. Go for a ride; that's what I'm doing shortly.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/24/20 1:32 PM

Done

I agree with Brian, but I can't get over that JS completely misreads what I post. As the most glaring example, he says I assumed 8% inflation. I did not. 8% is the compounding rate that SS "pays you" if you hold off taking your payments. Well known fact. My original statement stands.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

5/28/20 6:59 AM

We're all moderators here

If we are done here then why do you continue to post the same muddled trite?

I do not assume 8% inflation. You stated that you use inflation for the value of i in your calculation. Why is it that you use the rate of inflation to discount the benefit payments? You still have not answered that question I ask.

Let me put it in quotes what I wrote,

"The 8% value I was commenting on is in a different context, as in [t]he value used to discount/calculate the present value. The poster I responded to commented about calculating the present value. That was my focus."

That was in response to what you wrote,

"With some reasonable assumptions about the discount rate, you will come out ahead if you delay your SS payments (earning 8% per year) "

And to put it in context with your last post,

"I agree with Brian, but I can't get over that JS completely misreads what I post . As the most glaring example, he says I assumed 8% inflation."

And to a much lesser point, you still mis-state the original scenario,
"8% is the compounding rate that SS "pays you" if you hold off taking your "payments."

To be clear, that read each year your benefit increases 8% per year. As in you receive $100/month this year, $108/month next year, etc. which is clearly not the case and has been put to rest in this thread by others. Or in plainer speak, NO, Social Security does not "compound" benefit payments at 8% per year. We've all moved on, but you have not as in you clearly do not comprehend what you write.

There are pension payments (life annuities) that are structured that way. There in lies another problem with an "it's not rocket science" touting amateur miscommunication of details that read as muddled gibberish to a finance professional.

Thank you for understanding my point of view.

Last edited by Jesus Saves on 5/28/20 8:31 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/28/20 8:23 AM

Obviously 'being done' is a pipe dream. I am wondering how long you will have to get the last word at this point in all honestly.

If I really cared that much, I'd lock or delete the thread.

It is really more like when a parent chastises a sibling leaving all the other siblings thinking about the poorly behaving child's actions. You are that kid at this point, that is only my opinion.

And not stabbing at you as to keep a fight going, it really is just my opinion from observation of your behavior. Wonder when you might get over yourself in all truth.

Sparky

5/28/20 8:58 AM

Time to talk about heat and riding with face mask?

It hit 82^ at the end of my ride yesterday, today promises to be hotter by a bit.

I find I am folding the bottom up on the Elaine's DIY masks I use while riding, when I got toward populated paths/areas etc. It leaves a good overhang over my mouth and my nose totally covered.

I can say after a short ride yesterday to visit a friend who's wife has had to relocate to a memory care permanently... Sit 8" apart masked yelling like old farts to hear each other with the semi busy road 1/2 bock up...

Not comfortable with folks out on these MUTs. Most are good, 1/2 have masks even.

But that few that seem to purposely get close to protest the mask/behavior will have me sticking to the other direction for rides for a while.

KerryIrons

5/28/20 9:30 AM

Rates

8% is the rate that SS increases your payout for delaying payment. Using discount rates of 2 to 4%, the NPV of SS payments are roughly equal if you live to 83 and take payments starting at age 62 or age 70. If you live longer than 83, the NPV is higher if you wait to age 70 for the higher payment. That's what I said from the very beginning. JS wants to make this about something else.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/28/20 9:59 AM

Kerry, I think most got it...

Now I am just being a douche. ;)

Sparky

5/28/20 3:12 PM

Mask was no problem in heat, was 89^ when I got back to my car from 35 miler.

dfcas

5/28/20 3:30 PM

Then why am I instantly hot when I put mine on? Seriously, I find it misrable.

Sparky

5/28/20 4:20 PM

I don't know if Elaine's are anything other than cotton material. They are outer and inner, so double layers.

I do fold the bottom up over my mouth up under my nose. It makes like a hood over hanging my mouth. I try to remember to breath in nose, exhale mouth.

Maybe if you double up the Beta blocker your HR and resp rate will go so low the heat won't be as bad?? ;O

It was breezy though, that had to help a lot I bet.

Brian Nystrom

5/29/20 6:38 AM

I'm just glad that I have pretty much unlimited roads nearby where I can ride safely without a mask.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

5/29/20 7:36 AM

I'm not riding while wearing a mask. I wear a bandanna around my neck and can pull that up as needed, but am otherwise riding alone and when riding near walkers/runners, etc... will simply move away from the shoulder to give them 6ft.

Thus it puzzles me to see riders wearing them while riding. If alone I'm not seeing that as necessary. In public, you need to wear a mask IF you are going to be in proximity of others, within 6ft.. If you are maintaining better than 6ft. no mask required. So why ride with one when solo ?

Reply to topic    

dfcas

5/29/20 8:45 AM

Some studies have suggested that people doing heavy aerobic exercise may be able to spread the virus up to 20 yards or 60 feet. For this reason i have decided not to ride my local bike trail. I would need a mask all the time and im not doing that.

Sparky

5/29/20 10:31 AM

" I wear a bandanna around my neck and can pull that up as needed, but am otherwise riding alone and when riding near walkers/runners, etc... will simply move away from the shoulder to give them 6ft. "

I did the bandanna before the sewing maven got busy, but too much insulation on my neck. Can't imagine that in yesterdays 90^+.

So far I am OK with the above mask. Elaine made others that don't work well for riding, but better/more face coverage for the store/public times I have no choice. Not the only one trying to find windows early and late for smaller density of folk.

I stay away best I can, 6" or more. But sometimes that just gets breached, but not often. I actually am not riding around folks very much as a %. But I rode to meet someone at a storage to get a Rotor crankset in town.

Mask with me always... I can't imagine I'd be saying any of this if still in the NY/NJ area looking at the odds VS here statistically.

Luck be with me...

stan

5/29/20 3:20 PM

quote:
Some studies have suggested that people doing heavy aerobic exercise may be able to spread the virus up to 20 yards or 60 feet.

That’s what’s keeping me away from gyms when they open. Even with masks, virus droplets can travel more than 6 feet with heavy exercise. I need some weight work but am going to pass other than what I can do at home.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/16/20 5:54 PM

Solo riding with a mask is laughable

I ride 10-15 miles of single track and won't get anything. Well maybe Lyme Disease.

I ride 20-30 miles on the road, by myself, I won't catch anything but exhaust fumes.

Me wearing a mask while I ride would be just about as stupid as wearing one driving your own car.

Wear a mask around people and avoid people in general and you are pretty safe.

Good luck city dwellers.

Brian Nystrom

6/17/20 5:37 AM

Funny you should mention the driving thing, as I see people wearing masks behind the wheel all the time. I guess they have no idea how pointless it it. As I've said before, I won't wear a mask while riding, but I do carry a doubled Buff with me in case I get into a situation where I have to interact with anyone else.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/17/20 9:03 AM

Following orders

I think some people take the "wear a mask when outside" literally. You wear a mask when the possibility of transmission exists and you want to prevent it. It's not a ritual to prevent illness, but I guess some people are following orders rather than thinking. Nothing new there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/17/20 1:07 PM

I am 20 mile so. of PDX. If I ride toward the city and on MUT etc, mask on once density of ppl is seen.

If I ride south of the house into rural, no mask. It is hilly as hell south, so last week I went north for a little flat landing. And met up for a some parts and a visit to a friend to see his new lectrik car. Masked!

dan emery

6/17/20 1:41 PM

Mask stuff

I’ve only seen a couple people wearing a mask riding or driving. Most people around here are sensible.

I‘ve had a couple medical procedures lately (routine) including one at the hospital, and they make you wear the mask they give you, and the appointment in general seems very safe as there’s basically no one there....(fortunately I did not need the ER).

As to ‘lectiric vehicles, I should have one delivered anytime, I already have the charger installed in the garage.

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

6/17/20 3:16 PM

Last I read that you were looking at Alfa Romeos. What 'lectric car are you getting.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -