View posts since last visit

Wheel sucking NOT
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

4/9/20 8:25 AM

Wheel sucking NOT

FWIW:

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/20 8:59 AM

I left the local MUTT as soon as I saw a big group in one direction up ahead, and the opposite direction a smaller group walking. I turned away from the smaller one and saw the bigger group.

I was aware that I had a tail wind first, and a head toward the bigger group. Even though 1/4 mile up the MUTT, the thought of the wind carrying any airborne pathogens was first thing that crossed me mind, I exited same way I came on...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

lrzipris

4/9/20 9:23 AM

“He who cycles alone, waits for no-one.” (Paraphrasing Thoreau)

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/9/20 10:44 AM

The local cycling club is still riding but spreading out. They said as of yesterday, cyclists/runners/walkers/etc are required to wear a mask.

I can't get enough oxygen without a mask so I am out. Trainer only for me.

EdO

4/9/20 1:02 PM

If anything, COVID has managed to kill the paceline as we know it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/20 2:14 PM

My trick was always to ride with older folk and stay solidly on the front. I ran out of riders old enough to do that anymore a few years back. ;)

PLee

4/9/20 5:43 PM

Yeah, I cut a ride in my local 3.5 mile park loop short because there were just too many people running and biking for me to be comfortable that I could stay far enough away from them.

Riding in the streets is a lot better nowadays with the reduced auto traffic.

Reply to topic    

PLee

4/9/20 5:53 PM

I also alternate riding and running, primarily because I find that running every day, at my age, is a sure recipe for injury. I have no problems wearing a mask while riding but can't tolerate it while running. That gives you a pretty good idea of how slowly I'm riding . . .

Reply to topic    

eragot

5/8/20 1:26 PM

Hey all - I haven't been around on here in ages. But for some weird way the internet works - I'm back. Thanks Dennis Bean-Larson posting on FB in response to Richard Sachs...

The park Parkin refers to is worse than ever now. Especially when it gets warm.

Last weekend, i tool an early-ish ride down to the Brooklyn shore and returned through part of the park.

JOGGERS
Racing Cyclists
Cyclists
Pedestrians

In order of least mask wearing to most-ish.

Not one mask on joggers in a 40 mile loop along bike paths and boardwalks.
Only counted 4 in the park for a mile.

Racing cyclists are just too fast to get it or spread it apparently

Rec cyclists - not sure why they aren't wearing them.

Pedestrians - really depended on the area I was riding through. i'd say the conservative areas / groups were less likely to wear them.

Then I took my wife for a ride up through Manhattan and it seems like 60-70% of people not wearing masks on a Ssaturday afternoon.

Insane.

Hope everyone is healthy.

Eric

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/10/20 7:37 PM

I wear a mask in stores/ public places and slop on the sanitizer.

I don't ride in groups and there is no way I can catch it out on a trail on my MTB or hiking.

There have been no documented cases of transmission between athletes sharing the outdoors.

Make your own health choices but don't be a doomer without supporting data. The projected numbers have not been supported by the actual events.

I don't know a single person who has caught the disease.

The disease impacts are driven by two things.

Dense and Dense.

Population density

And how dense the population is (lack of PPE usage when needed and lack of SD)

I am not dense and don't live in a city so my odds of catching it are very low. YRMV

Brian Nystrom

5/11/20 8:25 AM

I'm with you, Erik and fortunate to live in similar circumstances! The only things holding back my riding are the weather and work.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/11/20 9:32 AM

Pharmacist fried sent me this:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Tom Price

5/11/20 12:07 PM

Thanks Sparky, this is one of the best articles that I have read about spreading of the virus.

Sparky

5/11/20 12:24 PM

Tom, I did not want to editorialize an opinion, but agree with you 100%.

My friend is retired, but very much keeps up on his past medical experience and tends to send up more substantive data points/links etc.

stan

5/11/20 10:11 PM

Great article. Factual and logical. Also very easy to understand without lots of technical jargon.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/12/20 5:30 PM

Agreed. The Vox article it links to is also well worth a read, as it applies more directly to people like us.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/14/20 9:48 AM

Deltas

And while the Belgians stay 60 feet apart while riding, this article says (as common sense would predict) that out in the open air and without snot rockets, coughing, or sneezing, you're at pretty low risk when riding. Quite the contrast.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/14/20 3:16 PM

Deltas

I actually don’t find the Vox article compelling regarding riding on a wheel, in a pack, at 20mph without a mask. It says jogging is OK at 6’, as long as you’re not in a pack, especially if you have a mask.

I ride all I want without a mask and don’t worry about it, and I’m not a scientist and can’t analyze all the data, but at present I ain’t sitting on anyone’s wheel.

I may well be wrong but in my view I’m not giving up much.

You guys happy sitting in a fast pack without a mask?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/15/20 6:28 AM

I don't know anyone who's organizing or doing group rides. The largest group I've ridden with since this began was 3 people, me, Linda, and a friend of ours, for an off-road ride. We maintained reasonable separation, which is necessary off-road anyway. On sections where we could ride close, we didn't draft each other. Under those circumstances, I'm completely comfortable, as our risk is very low.

I would not ride with a large group, but I'm not going to try to ride with a mask, either. Any mask that actually provides a real level of protection is going to restrict breathing the the point that hard efforts are not going to be possible. Stretching a buff over your nose - which I've seen other cyclists do - provides essentially no protection, as it's too porous. Anything more than that is too restrictive. So, I ride the roads either solo or with Linda, in areas where there are very few people or other cyclists. Either that, or we go into the woods in areas where pedestrians don't go and there aren't many riders.

Things will get interesting on Cape Cod soon, as people head to their summer retreats there from all over. Even with the restaurants, hotels, B&Bs and resorts closed, if they don't close the beaches, day-trippers will still flock there. With people out of work, there will be more traffic during the week and not just on the weekends. It's a perfect recipe for a COVID spike. We'll see. Fortunately for me, nobody flocks to Nashua, NH for the summer. ;-)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/15/20 6:38 AM

Cape Cod

I have friends in Boston who are riding this out at their house on the Cape.

Few will be flocking into Maine as long as the 14 day quarantine remains in effect.

Interestingly the Rene Herse mask I got ($8 with a set of tires) is pretty breathable even though tightly woven, and I think I could ride in it (not that I intend to).

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

5/15/20 6:55 AM

This year's Adventure Cycling Cape Cod Weekend, in June, was canceled. I was looking forward to it, as I enjoyed it so much in 2019.

I said in the "masks" thread that my Buff neck gaiter is a gesture, not preventative. But I always ride by myself, so I only slip it up over my mouth and nose when passing other people or if I go into a store.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/16/20 11:10 AM

Group rides

My "argument" was not about group rides but about the risk for drafting one person. I would say the risk of someone in a group coughing, sneezing, or blowing snot rockets rises dramatically with every rider added to the group. So no, I am not suggesting group rides are a good idea nor am I participating in any. I am riding with other people, one on one.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/16/20 3:46 PM

The Maine "quarantine" is a farce, plain and simple. There is absolutely no way they can enforce it and they can't prevent people from staying at property they own. As a co-worker who lives in Maine said yesterday: "The mandatory quarantine is really just us saying please, please, please quarantine." Like it or not, people are going to shop for groceries and engage in other essential activities. You can't stop it.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

5/17/20 7:38 PM

And yet some strange things have happened. Rhode Island was stopping out of state cars early on, that’s kind of illegal, but I get it. New Mexico mandated anybody from out of state had to self quarantine for 2 weeks, how do they enforce that ?. Then I read lots of posts on the Adirondack Almanac that express many opinions about how folks from downstate (meaning NYC) should not be be occupying their summer homes in the Daks, and I was like - really ?. I found out last week that the state of Rhode Island recommendation was to track every potential contact you’ve had when you leave the house and to keep a log. Pretty sure very few states got that specific and I know NY didn’t state that.

It’s an easy message to basically don’t travel, just stay in place. Needs to be delivered on a national level though, not a piece meal approach as current.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/18/20 1:09 PM

There's no one-size-fits-all solution, so a national mandate wouldn't work. Moreover, it would probably cause major revolts in some areas. That said, I think what some states are doing is simply irresponsible and we'll find out in another week or so. Politicians' heads will roll - figuratively speaking - once all is said and done.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -