HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Interesting steel bike

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

2/15/20 11:59 AM

Interesting steel bike

I liked this article on Jan Heine’s bike for Paris-Brest-Paris, and why he prefers steel for that application:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/blog/?utm_source=Retail+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5a86139ed2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_11_29_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f74fbd5ca8-5a86139ed2-108703741&mc_cid=5a86139ed2&mc_eid=1124689c2b

I have no particular opinion pro or con, other than I think great bikes can be made from steel as well as other materials. Interesting this is from a new (to me) steel tube set, and is built by Nobilette and painted by Weigle (I have no bikes by either, but old school names for sure).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/15/20 12:25 PM

A mention in that article is the 650b. Ttwo of mine are sitting with 47x650b now. One gravel tires one smoother gravel [solid centers].

I find there is a comfort with the combo, mostly due to volume I suppose.

That bike sez "ride me across the county" all over it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

2/16/20 9:21 AM

Resurgence

The first time I ever heard of 650B wheels was in the late '60s, about the same time I learned about tubulars. In Gene Portuesi's Cyclo-Pedia catalog (7th Edition), he listed a pair of 15 speed 650B touring bikes complete with generator lights, seat bag w/tool kit, fenders, pump. partial chain guard, and racks weighing 32 lb. with steel cottered cranks & steel rims. There was a 2-page article on cyclo-touring including equipment list noting that a full kit for a solo tourist could come in at 35 lb. The bike was $95, which would be about $750 in today's money.

The tires were 38 mm. With wider tires and modern components, this is pretty much Jan Heine's bike today. These bikes were modeled on the randonneur bikes of the 1950s and 60s. You wonder how they would ride compared to a modern version.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/16/20 10:34 AM

Has anyone looked or noticed Ben Serotta's planned use of 559/26" wheel in the new digs?

All road design for vertically less endowed.

https://www.serottadesignstudio.com/news-post/2019/7/15/project-559

The new https://serotta.com site is down, perhaps getting needed unsparcificatified...

https://serotta.com/whats-new

Note the mention of AL 6069-T6 for the Duetti.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

2/17/20 7:20 AM

"I opted for steel because it’s easier to fabricate a frame that accepts all the things I need for adventures like Paris-Brest-Paris: fenders, lights, a rack, a pump…"

This makes no sense in comparison to Ti. What can you add more easily to a steel frame, that you can't add just as easily to a Ti frame?

For that matter, there are all manner of carbon gravel bike frames that are festooned with attachment points for fenders, racks and such. With a generator hub, you can add all the lights you want.

It seems like the real argument here is primarily aesthetic, not functional.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -