Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Way OT: The ultimate vintage keyboards book

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alenhoff

12/14/19 6:40 PM

Way OT: The ultimate vintage keyboards book

Hi guys.

Longtime member here who hasn't posted in years, in part because I've been busy writing a book. Apologies for going OT here, but I know there are a lot of musicians on this forum.

"Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music," is a big, beautifully photographed tribute to the great keyboard instruments of the 1950s to the 1980s. Among them: Hammond organs, Vox Continental and Farfisa combo organs, Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos, the Clavinet, Mellotron, Minimoog and many more. It's been a 7-year labor of love for me and my Australian co-conspirator David Robertson. It's a lavish gift book: Hardcover, heavy stock, 416 pages, 560 color photos.

The great guitars of the era have dozens of keepsake, coffee table-style books written about them. This is the first about the great keyboards of that time.

Check out http://www.classickeysbook.com/, which describes the book, shows sample pages and displays endorsements from Rick Wakeman (Yes), Donald Fagen (Steely Dan), Chuck Leavell (Allman Brothers and musical director of The Rolling Stones), Steve Nieve (Elvis Costello and the Attractions) and others. Or order it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1574417762

The book was officially released this week. Three weeks before the release date, pre-orders were so strong that publisher ordered a second printing. So it's being very well-received by people who get excited about these kinds of things.

Thanks for tolerating the self-promotion...

Alan Lenhoff

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/15/19 4:18 PM

After we talked about this a few years ago I've been on the lookout for it. I was one of the first preorders and can't wait to read it. I probably need a large print version but I'll get thru it with a magnifying glass. Hope you sell a ton of it.

Dan

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/15/19 5:11 PM

Nice gratuitous self serving post after all this time. ;)

Glad you did though. May have to order it up to keep the The Beatles Anthology book company in my music room.

OT, LOL.. here? Not usually any kind of a problem.

Right up Dan's alley for sure.

dan emery

12/16/19 3:36 AM

Cool

Congrats, good luck with it. Inspired me to find a YouTube of “House of the Rising Sun.”

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

12/18/19 7:44 AM

No jacket blurb from Question Mark and the Mysterians?

Reply to topic    

Alenhoff

12/18/19 11:16 AM

Thanks guys!

I actually still do lots of cycling. I'm just less interested in the gear and the technical side than I once was. I just ride/wear what I have. Of course, as Sparky mentioned, this forum has always gotten into a lot of other stuff, too. Maybe, now that the heavy lifting of the book is over, I ought to spend more time here.

(Is it safe to talk about Trump here? Just kidding! Really!)

Re the print size: It's not a Readers' Digest large print edition, but the type is quite generously sized. And, for most, the highlight of the book will be the big "glamour shots" of the instruments, some of which span two pages.

Re ? and the Mysterians: Maybe I should have tracked them down, since I'm in Michigan -- and they were, too, during their 96 Tears days. One of my regrets is that Ray Manzarek died before I had a chance to speak with him. He played so many of the instruments in the book. (I did, however, get connected to Robby Krieger, who had many Ray stories to share.)

Best,

Alan

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/18/19 2:16 PM

Is this one in your body of work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkRIMgTU7cA

Alenhoff

12/18/19 10:02 PM

As much as I am a rocker (and occasional jazz player), if I had the chance to play a carillon or a massive pipe organ or a huge theater organ, I'd love 'em.

Alan

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/19/19 4:06 AM

Rockin’ The Bells

Well you might enjoy the Cornell Chimes commemorating the 40th anniversary of an iconic Dead concert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iS58mlAmVSo

I'm not a musician, but I think there’s some great stuff in there.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -