Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sayonara to road bike?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

7/9/19 2:59 PM

Yawda yawda yawda

I have no idea what Yaw even is (don’t explain it I don’t want to know) and no knowledge of the general experience with etap front derailleurs. Mine has worked very well in the etap system. But then I really never have problems with front shifting.

To me mixing drivetrain components just introduces a level of complexity and uncertainty which I don’t need to introduce.

If I avoided a problem by not mixing a different crank with etap derailleurs, that just illustrates that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/9/19 4:02 PM

Can't explain as I really do not know beyond what I read and said here. Yaw is SRAMs way to revolutionize front shifting I believe. It is so well designed, to do so it includes a chain drop device. ;)

Mixing, not mixing? As long shit works I got no problem going out of spec and/or mixing groups and even brands.

I think orig cabled Red is Yaw, eTap.. dunno. My total eTap experience is your bike ;)

Funny though, when I tried double tap in 2012 I said no way I can use that. Once my elbow wear/age caught up with me and swinging a brake lever to shift caused tendon issues...

Now I think I'd like it. But have already replaced that style SH swing shifting with ERGOs.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

7/9/19 9:12 PM

Ask Bauke Mollenma how he feels about the tap front drauiluer :)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/10/19 10:04 AM

Yaw is pretty simple. All it means is that in addition to the front derailleur moving inward and outward, the angle of the cage also changes to eliminate chain rub on the cage in the big-big and little-little gear combinations. That's it.

I wasn't aware of the issues with the Etap front derailleur.

Mollema had issues with the new AXS system, but it wasn't clear to me which derailleur was the problem (I thought it was the rear).

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/10/19 1:33 PM

On top of that, the bloody high limit screw is a) reverse thread and b) ti and c) strips easily. Mine did. Luckily its where it needs to be, but its a $300 problem if ever I want to move it . Freaking head scratcher.

Nick Payne

7/11/19 12:43 AM

quote:
How much top end gearing do you think you need? A 46/30 crank with an 11 in the rear still provides a pretty good-sized top gear (113").

On my Open, shod with Compass 700x35 tyres, I have 42/29 rings with an 11-34 cassette. The 42-11 is good for a bit over 50kph, and outside of road racing, I can't see any need for a bigger gear. 29-34 has got me up anything I've aimed it at so far, including some pretty steep off-road singletrack.

As for the Red eTap FD, once I had it adjusted properly, I've haven't had a chain drop in many months, and I'm not using either a SRAM crank or chainrings. Crank is a Middleburn with 94BCD spider, and the chainrings are NOS Shimano (outer) and Gebhardt (inner).

Reply to topic    

April

7/11/19 5:39 AM

“I've haven't had a chain drop in many months”

That’s a pretty low standard, is it not? I’ve not had a chain drop more than once every few YEARS!

Or did you only had the setup for a few months so far?

Brian Nystrom

7/11/19 7:57 AM

quote:
That’s a pretty low standard, is it not?

That depends on what kind of riding you're doing. While I rarely ever have a chain drop or overshift on a road bike, drops happen off-pavement with some regularity. In fact, I just modified the chain watcher on my gravel bike a couple of days ago to try to reduce drops (I added support between the frame and the bottom of the arm to reduce flexing).

Reply to topic    

April

7/11/19 2:49 PM

I guess I didn't have that happened on my gravel bike.

Back when I used to mtn bike, I noticed the chain sometimes jump off the small ring when it's in the small end of the cog set. Not quite a small-small combo but just a lot of chain slack. The derailleur didn't seem to have enough tension to "hold" the chain tight. But other than that, I rarely drop my chains.

(I'm talking 9 speeds though. Not sure if 10-11 maybe more finicky?)

Sparky

7/11/19 5:22 PM

They make rear DR with clutches in them since after 9 speed, maybe after 10s.

And then of course there it the single front chainring with the narrow/tall teeth. I think a lot of this is the child process of downhill where the chain really bounces, and then some.

I can say back in the day of FS and rock garden blasting I intentionally would choose a gear with the most teeth in play rather than not. Hopefully not too cross chained.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -