HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bar Tape grip and sweat.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/5/19 12:52 PM

Bar Tape grip and sweat.

Damn near came of the Nago yesterday. JRA near 20 and went down for forearms on bar tops to get outta the air for a little. I did not realize how wet with sweat my forearms were. And it was like ice.

Now I do not like sticky tape, shit give me the chills like nails on a chalk board feel wise.
But wanna get that tape off those bars now. The swede Fizik I have tried sticky wise. Won't use it again, and it wore so fast it was not funny.

What all are youz guiz using for wet/sweat. It was only 82^, I expect more for the next months...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

7/5/19 1:21 PM

I once had some cyclocross tape. It was more rubbery but had really good frip. As I remember it was heavy, but that can't take priority over grip.

yesterday and today here it is low 90's bith temp and humidity. I ain't goin out in it.

sanrensho

7/5/19 1:25 PM

Are you wearing gloves? I prefer Cinelli cork ribbon or similar synthetic cork tape, but I don't have heavy moisture/sweat issues. However, I sweat enough that good (not thin) gloves are essential.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/19 2:30 PM

Yes, gloves. It was my wet fore arms on the bar tops, a position I apparently have not done while quite this warm for a bit. I hooked up with another rider on his zoot carbon, aero carbon wheels on the return. Rode with me approx 15 miles, and we were big ringing it. So making the evaporation systems run...

My ego enjoyed having him using me for drafting while on a 1985 SLX steel Colnago with low profile wheels. Not turns drafting, I'd go back to his left side for chit chat.

Good day on the bike, and good ego/vanity day. Cause I need that. ;O

dan emery

7/5/19 3:08 PM

Or

He probably enjoyed drafting because you’re twice as big as he is. People used to tell me they loved being on my wheel.

And if he’s not taking a turn at the front....(fill in the blank).

I can never remember having my hands slip on the bar due to sweat, but I’m nearly always on the hoods and never put my forearms on the tops.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/19 3:52 PM

No, I rode him off a few times accidentally. We had about the same miles in each of us. But he was 40lb lighter and I was in my Clyde element on a miles long 2-3% down grade. Just better condition for me than him.

Just one of those better days on the bike for me.

Oddly, I don't feel like I need two days recovery. Although I have been only doing one day off or 6-10 easy between avg 30-50 miles rides. And this one was after 2 days rest.
Maybe I always need two days off now, old fart etc...

Brian Nystrom

7/5/19 9:07 PM

Try Cannondale Synapse tape. It's got great cushion and it's grippy without being sticky. It's also really durable and it's become my go-to tape. I use the 3mm stuff over a layer of cork, as I like a fat bar with reasonable cushion.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/19 10:51 PM

I am seeing 2.5 and 3.5 mm. I like at least 2mm myself.

walter

7/6/19 2:45 PM

zipp service course cx tape

cushy, but not ridiculous. grippy, but not ridiculous.

level of grip is perfect for hot/humid days when you want to lay your schweddy forearms on the bar-tops and maintain a modicum of directional control

it is now my go-to-tape after a 3 decades of cinelli cork.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -