HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anyone watching the FIFA World Cups?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

7/3/19 10:09 AM

How is the offside rule exploited? If you mean by having the defenders move up past the offensive player, the offense is merely forced to be aware of defensive positioning and ensuring that they are not offsides. And the penalty is just loss of possession.

Here, there is almost nothing a defensive player can do other than to get out of the way of a goal kick, and what's the point in that? And the penalty is a penalty kick. That's a lot worse than loss of possession.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

7/3/19 10:54 AM

Dan, I used to think, "I get crap all day from judges and DAs. Why do I need this garbage from coaches and players?" And "appellate review" is often as bad as "video review."

April, the offside trap has been a defensive tactic at least since I began officiating soccer, almost 40 years ago. There is the attendant risk that the officials will miss the offside, and the attacker will go in on the keeper unchallenged. "Exploited"? How about "employed"?

I no longer do club/FIFA rules, only school games, and I'm not calling a handball where the ball plays the hand, not the hand playing the ball, as we say.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -