Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anyone watching the FIFA World Cups?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/14/19 11:02 AM

Anyone watching the FIFA World Cups?

I don't watch men's soccer, all the hammed drama is too much for me. But the woman's is played way cleaner to me and seems a lot less like AWF/WWF et al.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/27/19 4:35 PM

No, but

I like this from Megan Rapinoe, asked if she would be excited to go to the White House:

“No, I’m not going to the [forking] White House.” You go, Megan!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/27/19 5:49 PM

“I am not going to fake it, hobnob with the president, who is clearly against so many of the things that I am [for] and so many of the things that I actually am."

She said this quite a while back. DT just finally saw it on Twits_R_us and has nothing better to do than feud with more sport folk...

Women’s soccer player, @mPinoe, just stated that she is “not going to the F...ing White House if we win.” ..........
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 26, 2019

She just stated it in January...

lrzipris

7/1/19 8:24 AM

Over the past week or two, there has been a lot more soccer on TV besides the WWC.

The FIFA U20 WC had a number of excellent, well-played games. The UEFA U21 Championship has also had some excellent matches. The COMCACAF Gold Cup has too much fakery and less than world-class skills and tactics.

As a referee myself, I also try to pay attention to the officials and how they do things, to see what I can learn.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/19 9:33 AM

"As a referee myself"

So how do you feel about the VAR system and it potential future use in the sport?

April

7/2/19 3:48 PM

VAR

“Potential use”?

Wasn’t it already in use in the 2018 WC?

dan emery

7/2/19 3:49 PM

Escalation

Now Megan’s girlfriend, Sue Bird, is lobbing f-bombs at Trump. Sue has always been sweetness personified. As well as one of the best point guards ever, male or female.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/19 5:49 PM

I thought I read the men's WC did not, but the 2019 WC the womans's team were perturbed they had to get it tested on these matches.

April

7/2/19 7:29 PM

“I thought I read”??? Are you a politician or what?

Did you read it somewhere? If so, where exactly?

But if you didn’t read it, it’s hard to fathom how you form the impression that “women’s team are perturbed”...

Sparky

7/2/19 7:41 PM

Seriously? I read on the internet.

Go a googling, and you can read it too.

April

7/2/19 8:00 PM

Link please?

More precisely, the part that the women were “perturbed they had to get it tested in these games”. I’m curious how reputable the source of that is.

(Keeping in mind the technology had been well “tested” in the men’s world cup a year ago!)

Sparky

7/2/19 8:18 PM

I did not save nor remember the link. I'll look in my history real quick...

Can't find it. Even googled it hoping for the purple hyper link showing I had visited it. In doing so I see what you said regarding 2018 WC VAR, and that 10 of those VAR officials are included in the 2019 WC group.

So perhaps I am mis-remembering what I had read, would not be the first time. Or the link had mis-information, not like that ever happens...

------------

If you google "Women's World Cup become a guinea pig for VAR?" you can find more of the same impression I apparently had gotten.

April

7/2/19 8:58 PM

Ok, I googled as you suggested. The top hits were all from the UK (BBC, Telegraph...). As England lost a critical goal by VAR, it’s understandable they felt VAR “ruins” soccer. Some might say it’s just sour grapes. But I suppose for those who didn’t watch the men’s game, they may fall for that.

There’s relatively little controversy in the men’s WC regarding VAR. So the accusation of “genie pig” a year later, is entirely baseless.

Is it perfect? I doubt it. But it’s clearly more fair than without. I’ve been watching soccer since my teenage years. I’ve seen how wrong referees could be. VAR is clearly an improvement. That said, VAR itself probably could use continuous improvement going forward.

Sparky

7/2/19 9:15 PM

I agree it being an improvement. Is it here to stay?

April

7/2/19 9:32 PM

Do you doubt it?

Did you also doubt the use of it for (American) football too?

Sparky

7/2/19 10:26 PM

Don't watch football, so had not seen use there.

April

7/2/19 10:33 PM

In that case, I’ll have to say you sound like my Dad, who asked “are smartphone here to stay?”

Sparky

7/2/19 11:07 PM

LOL.

April

7/3/19 7:00 AM

On the opposite end of spectrum, my Mom actually asked me for a recommendation of a smartphone BEFORE I thought it's ready for casual user. She's 80 years old at the time.

Sounds like the English women soccer players (or perhaps only their disappointed fans?) claiming VAR "untested" are older than 80 in mentality. Or perhaps they lived in a "no man's land". ;-)

lrzipris

7/3/19 9:00 AM

Sparky's Question

I don't like VAR, or video review in basketball and baseball (my two other sports). I realize the tension between pro sports with their high stakes (both money and prestige), but I'm a retrogrouch--sport is a human endeavor, thus susceptible to human error, and that, imo, includes officiating.

In any event, working youth sports, I won't/don't have to deal with VAR and video reviews--until that coach comes out to argue, saying "I have a video on my phone...." Stop right there, coach--if that phone comes out, you are gone.

Reply to topic    

PLee

7/3/19 9:10 AM

I have a bigger issue with the new handball rule. It looks like it is now a great tactic to purposely kick a ball towards an opponent's upper arm in the penalty area.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

7/3/19 9:16 AM

I have never liked "cheap" penalties.

Reply to topic    

April

7/3/19 9:19 AM

But, but, but...

Isn’t the off-site rule purposely exploited, first by the Dutch team (?) in the WC a couple decades back, is now an accepted practice for all teams as part of the defense tactics?

Sparky

7/3/19 9:34 AM

"purposely exploited"

expound please?

EDIT: OK, seems like a tactical move to me. If that is you mean the defenders moving so that the previously 'non offside' offensive player isn't anymore...

Last edited by Sparky on 7/3/19 11:32 AM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

7/3/19 9:50 AM

@Roy

I guess you missed catching crap from lawyers and judges....:)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -