HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Ouch

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

6/12/19 12:35 PM

Ouch

Froome out of the Tour - broken femur, elbow and ribs while checking out the route of the Criterium Dauphine time trial.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/12/19 1:50 PM

Ouch indeed

Broken femur can be very ouchy.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/12/19 2:21 PM

The Team Ineos rider, 34, hit a wall at 60km/h when he took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose, according to team principal David Brailsford.

Speaking just after the crash, Brailsford told Cyclingnews: "It sounds like he was at the foot of the descent, and it's obviously very gusty today, and he took his hands off the bars to blow his nose and the wind has taken his front wheel. He's hit a wall at 60km/h or something like that."

Ouch, and then some it sounds like...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Marc N.

6/13/19 9:40 AM

With all due respect

Froome has never been considered an outstanding bike handler, and even for someone with his ability and experience, to take his hands off the bars under such circumstances to blow his nose sounds downright careless to me. Having said that, I wish him a speedy and full recovery.[/i]

Sparky

6/13/19 10:22 AM

I have said before here:

"Froome on the bike looks plane wonky to me.
One of the Aussie feed guys said he looks like a frog in a sock."

Frog in a sock... he he he

Speedy recovery wishes as well. But when I see certain age riders and big bone fractures, I always wonder...

Will they... can they get back on top?

Then there is this, but how old was Taylor then?

I should say big bone displaced fractures. Looking at the bbc reporting this am, 6 hours of surgery suggests exactly that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/48628284

Chief surgeon Remi Philippot told AFP that Froome faces a "long recovery".

"The surgery was carried out as a semi-emergency to try to avoid any early complications that can develop from that sort of trauma," he said.

"Now recovery is going to be long. Roughly speaking, you are looking at a minimum of six months out of competition.

Brian Nystrom

6/13/19 11:05 AM

The update I heard today was that he broke his hip, had an open (a.k.a. "compound") fracture of the femur, a fractured hip, fractured ribs, fractured elbows (plural) and injuries to internal organs (unspecified). It sounds pretty horrific and I sincerely wish him the best, and hope that he makes a complete recovery.

This development could end up making the Tour more interesting, as it's likely to lead to competition between Geraint Thomas and Egan Bernal for the leadership at Team Ineos. It doesn't necessarily make them any less likely to win, but it could be a situation to watch...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/13/19 11:14 AM

Brian's last paragraph: makes me wanaa watch the TDF more now frankly.

I had read early about the hip, but seemed it was a femur instead. But both, damn Froome way to clean your clock, Smokes!

Seems cyclingweekly.com is reporting just that.

dan emery

6/13/19 12:48 PM

Hip vs femur fracture

Most hip fractures are femur fractures. I use both terms for mine.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

6/13/19 1:07 PM

Froome is 34. This will likely end his career as it’s going to be a year of recovery and I’m not seeing him coming back at 35-36.

Last edited by Steve B. on 6/13/19 2:54 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/13/19 1:10 PM

Now that Dan mentions it, IIRC Elaine refers to when the top/ball is broken on the femur as a hip surgery.

I am leaning with Steve B's opinion as well...

Brian Nystrom

6/14/19 7:35 AM

Hip vs. femur symantics

My understanding is that fractures in the trochanter/femoral head/femoral neck area are usually referred to as hip fractures. Those on the long part of the bone are typically called femur fractures.

Obviously, it's the same bone and it's possible that Froome broke it in more than one place, which would really suck. It's also possible (hopefully) that it's simply a matter of confusion.

A comeback does seem somewhat unlikely, particularly if he happened to be on the decline already. He's also at a point in his career where he's probably thinking seriously about whether a comeback is worth the risks. He's a family man, after all, and probably doesn't need the money.

EDIT: According to Cycling Weekly, "Froome underwent surgery on Wednesday evening (June 12) after a horrific crash at the Critérium du Dauphiné, which left him with fractures to his pelvis, femur, elbow and ribs."

Based on my own experience, it will likely take 9-12 weeks for the bones to heal enough so he can ride again, but it will take quite a while to regain the muscle and fitness he'll lose. Of course, he'll have access to rehab/training tech and "medications" that I didn't.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/17/19 11:04 AM

Day out reporting 'The Guardian'

Froome fractured his right femur and suffered a broken hip, a fractured elbow and fractured ribs, while it has also been reported he fractured his neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TLIE_qFHU

sanrensho

6/17/19 12:45 PM

Having also fractured my hip, I would also predict that Froome is done. It doesn't make any sense to pursue a comeback at this stage of his career, nor does he strike me as the type of rider who wants to keep on riding as long as possible (beyond his peak).

Even if he does try a comeback, I predict poor early season results (stemming from the complications to his hip) will quickly push him toward retirement.

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/17/19 1:19 PM

Interesting that Team Ineos is now saying he will be back in 6 months, so it sure doesn't seem like they are thinking retirement

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/18/19 8:55 AM

Well, six months is during the off-season, so realistically he'd have even more time than that. A broken hip is a major insult to the body and it takes quite a while to come back. Depending on the nature of the break, it can also alter your body mechanics and range of motion. That happened to me after my femural neck fracture and although I can ride fine and pain-free (well, no pain in the hip, anyway), I haven't been quite the same on the bike since. Perhaps that's just normal ageing (I was 41 at the time), but I suspect the injury has something to do with it.

Froome's fractured ribs will heal at the same time as the hip fracture, but the muscles, ligaments and such in the chest can take quite a while to get back to normal and they make it hard to breathe until they're fully healed.

He's still pretty young and obviously very fit, plus he'll have the best care that money can buy. A physical comeback certainly isn't out of the question and I don't doubt that he'll be determined to do that much, but I wonder if he'll still have the drive to compete and take the associated risks. I imagine that his wife will have a bit to say about that...

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/19/19 2:12 AM

Chris Froome is now the same age as Cadel Evans was when he won the TdF in 2011, and Cadel was the oldest winner since the 1920s. I can't see Froome, even if he makes a full recovery, getting back into it quick enough to be fit enough next year, and the year after that he'll be 36, and I can't see anyone winning the Tour at that age given the higher standard and larger pool of riders these days.

Joseba Beloki never came back to the same standard after his crash in 2003, and Froome's injuries sound fairly similar to what Beloki sustained.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/19/19 4:39 AM

...and Beloki had the advantage of substantial "pharmaceutical assistance" that Froome couldn't get away with these days.

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/19/19 8:06 AM

NM

NM

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/19/19 9:23 AM

>substantial "pharmaceutical assistance"...couldn't get away with these days.

What are they all on that is just not getting detected currently, as when EPO for close to a decade was the dejour undetected regime?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -