HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

SPOILER - Interesting finish to Flanders - SPOILER

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

4/7/19 9:29 AM

SPOILER - Interesting finish to Flanders - SPOILER

I was rather surprised, but pleased to see a winner from an American team. It seemed that everyone else was just too gassed to mount a solo chase and there was no organization, due to most of the chase group being from different teams, which meant there was nobody to sacrifice to the chase. Sometimes the bold move pays off!

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/7/19 7:09 PM

For sure that was an Epic win, the crazy thing is that this guy has never had a single win in his (pro) career, not even in any minor races, so his first win is De Rode, holy you know what :)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/8/19 7:27 AM

I wasn't familiar with him either, but perhaps we will be going forward. Maybe the lead group let him go figuring that he was not a real threat...until he was and then it was too late.

It turns out that he's had some high finishes in significant races and he's only 25 years old (he apparently turned pro at 19), so his Flanders win doesn't seem suspicious.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/04/the-weekly-spin-alberto-bettiol-solos-to-victory-at-2019-tour-of-flanders/

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/8/19 8:00 AM

Yeah I totally agree with you, I think the big guns kind of let him go, figuring they could reel him back in, and then once he had the gap, he was stronger then they thought.
Also kudos to EF, it was a complete team win, not sure how much you watched but Sep Venamrke and Sebastian Langeveld were unbelievable, and I dont think he wins with out those 2, if you want to explain to a non cycling friend how cycling is a team sport, so the the last 45k of this race, just awesome.

And as to your last comment, I was in no way insinuating doping, it hadn't even crossed my mind, I was just saying how cool it is that his first even big win is the biggest race of em all.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/10/19 4:18 PM

The ol’ late breakaway

I love that move. On any level of racing, from cat 5 (or citizen races when those existed) to the Ronde or World Championship, a late breakaway usually doesn’t work but sometimes does work, depending mostly on the dynamic of the chase group. When it works, I think it’s usually because the chasers wait for someone else to take it out.

Kind of reminds me of the pick and roll in basketball. One of the first things you learn as a kid, it still dominates in the NBA. Simple, but a certain amount of the time inevitably works.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -