HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Yet another Keywin Cleat goes bye bye

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/19/19 4:12 PM

Yet another Keywin Cleat goes bye bye

Lost another right keywin cleat on my ride today. That's the 5th or 6th one in 22 years now. What a rip off. 😂

If I could change my habits to alternate clip out foot left instead of the right all the time...

Maybe 1/2 as maybe, only lost 1 left cleat in all my Keywin use. Usually when they get thin with age, a rock breaks off an important part of the mechanism that clips.

It is pretty amazing just how long the cleats last. And the fact that they can still be sourced is VG.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

3/20/19 11:18 AM

About 15 years ago I switched to to Time ATAC ROC pedals with brass cleats. I don't think I've worn out or broken a cleat in 15 years. The Atac XS pedals were garbage but the ROC's are bulletproof. I have maybe 13 pairs and tons of cleats.

Sparky

3/20/19 11:57 AM

I should be able to keep the Keywin fleet going for the foreseeable future.

I did get a couple pair of Exus Keo Clones for 1/2 price a few years back that I like a lot. They are on the Older steel more Retro bikes. They are solid and consistent.
As long as I remember to take the right shoes. Only done that twice.

Also have a single SPD-R shoe/cleat setup for the computrainer bike. Old carbon Shimano shoes I don't need the stiffness of on the road... Not the most comfy for hours in the saddle.

The Keywin cleat failure is not bad to finish a ride. As long as you don't sprint. It kind of sits in the pocket if you keep minimal weight down. Pulling up from the bottom of the arc or up the backstroke, not an option.

I just remembered the previous ride, I came out on that side when I playfully did a bunny launch off a sidewalk peak from a big root. I love getting some air like a child still. My saddle landing hurt for a few minutes. And luckily did not land on my Mommy/Daddy buttons...

KerryIrons

3/21/19 8:38 AM

Leftist

quote:
If I could change my habits to alternate clip out foot left instead of the right all the time...

Always click out the left foot. It eliminates the dreaded chain ring tattoo.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/21/19 9:37 AM

"It eliminates the dreaded chain ring tattoo."

I don't get that more than once a year or two.

But, yesterday I actually got a left calf brand. This was a first for me.

I turned standing next to the bike to head toward a garbage can. A gust came that literally had the front wheel blow under like a flag and the chainring into me as I lifted the front to do the 180 toward the garbage can. ;)

I posted in another thread about the windy inadvertent FTP+ ride in very windy conditions. ;O

Having said that. With new cleats, it makes you realize [over time as cleats wear] just how the deterministic 'clip in' feel slowly goes away. And how much more 'clip out' pressure it takes with the new cleats than the well broken in cleats. ;)

Brian Nystrom

3/21/19 1:29 PM

I always make it a point to clip out on both sides during rides, though I don't actually try to keep track of it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/21/19 1:41 PM

My right out may be less than possible to change. I track stand as much as I can. But some light/cxings are beyond my ability time wise. Need to work on it I guess.

Brian Nystrom

3/21/19 5:52 PM

Why would you not be able to change something so simple? All you need to do is consciously think about it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/21/19 7:17 PM

I'd be afraid to fall over before I get it right. ;)

My saying that was a touch tongue/cheek. I am sure if I decided to do it I might only fall once. More T&C.

Paul Datars

3/22/19 1:36 PM

If I had to guess I'd say I've been using Keywins for 20 years, my wife too so that's like 40 years total :-) We've worn out maybe 3 or 4 pairs, mostly by Sal because of her commuting days which meant she did a lot more walking.

As for clicking out with my left foot, that's a scary prospect, just feels so unnatural. Never occurred to me until just reading this thread that right out makes one more prone to chainring tattoos, this was probably a revelation to me since I swear I've never gotten one. Now possibly part of the reason for this is I rarely have a dirty chain.

Cheers, Paul.

Sparky

3/22/19 4:17 PM

Paul, if you'll recall Nate hooked me up with you in the 90s asking about the Keywins. He was using Speedplays as I recall. I considered Frogs, but the cleats on the Road Speedplays turned me off just looking at them. Thus I kept deciding.

SPDs for road I got ribbed for too much. ;)

So you got me started with the Keywins. And I don't think it is likely I will ever stray from them...

Brian Nystrom

3/23/19 7:01 AM

Speedplay cleats are not durable. The original Frog cleats weren't bad, but the newer design sintered cleats are terrible. The X Pedal and Zero cleats wear really quickly on the outside if you walk much in them. The underside of the aluminum outer plates wears quickly, too, even on the Zeros if you have them set to allow float. The new walkable cleats are better in both cases, since the internal parts are steel and the covers protect them. However. all Zero cleats develop rotational play, even if you have them set to no float, as the plastic base plates deform. Combined with the fact that the cleats are ridiculously expensive, it's an aggravating situation. If the pedals weren't so good, I wouldn't tolerate it.

It makes me wonder if there's somewhere I could send a set of cleats to have the bases and top plates scanned, then 3D printed in Ti...

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

3/23/19 4:38 PM

Sparky, yeah I do kinda recollect that. Glad to hear you're still happy with them. I believe Sandiway among others was also turned onto Keywins by me.

Ironically I also turned Sandiway onto SRM. I say ironically because while I had SRMs my wife didn't. Then one day in the Catskills we were coming up to Devil's Kitchen, Sandiway didn't have his usual gearing and thus was jealous of my wife's gearing. So he suckered her into swapping bikes by telling her she needed to try out his SRM on a climb. They not only had the same pedals but also the same saddle height. Well that was all it took, within a year all four of her 'main' bikes had SRMs.

Cheers, Paul.

PLee

3/28/19 4:06 PM

It's nice that you can pretty much get replacement parts for any part of the Keywins.

https://www.keywin.com/shop.php?ln=CRM-Pedal-Parts&LID=1946220033

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -