HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Inadvertent Chiropractic Adjustment

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

3/19/19 6:49 AM

Inadvertent Chiropractic Adjustment

Linda and I were out on the fat bikes with a group of 4 additional women, all of whom are shorter than me (this becomes important in a moment). It was pretty cold, so I wore my favorite cycling hat with ear flaps that do a great job, but it also has a brim that blocks my upward vision somewhat when I wear it under a helmet. We were just about to exit a trail when I slammed into a 6" branch that was overhanging the trail. It wasn't an obstacle for the short women, so they didn't call it out, and I never saw it due to the hat brim.

The impact smashed the mount for the headlamp I was wearing (the last third of the ride was in the dark) and as I later discovered, it dented and cracked my helmet. I felt the jolt down my spine to the base of my rib cage. After several expletives and a few minutes to walk it off, I felt OK to get back on the bike.

Oddly, I immediately noticed that it was easier to bend my neck back than it has been in quite a while and it was less "crunchy" feeling, too. I felt OK for the rest of the ride and so far today, I'm fine. Go figure...

So, it's RIP for my Bell Sweep, which was way past it's expiration date, anyway. I'll also be looking for a different hat that doesn't compromise my vision.

And yeah, I know that I got lucky this time.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/19/19 8:37 AM

yikes

I won't make any comments about "low hanging fruit".....
\
Glad you were able to shake it off and hope it proves a beneficial adjustment.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/19/19 9:55 AM

Yeah, that coulda been a whole lot worse.

My CRV hatch is JUST tall enough when open on level ground. But not with a helmet on. I have put a kink in my neck a few times as a result of going back in quick to change gloves, or a forgotten pocket item...

I used to love lighted MTB riding. No distractions considering you can only see your line pretty much...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

3/19/19 12:01 PM

One of my customers told me his 90 year old mother had back problems for years and saw docs and chiros and never got any help from them. He said one day she tripped and fell flat on her face and it fixed her back. No more problems whatsoever.

Sparky

3/19/19 12:46 PM

I have reversed my shorten and raise bar thing from last few years little bit at a time. I got my reach out like 20 years ago and it tractions my back. I have added more setback in as well and am feeling less residual on 2-3+ hours out.

If I want old fart posture on the bike I will take an off road bike, although I never shortened those...

It is interesting what is therapeutic and isn't posture and position. Need stronger core still...

Although having 25+ lb less gut now [since 11/2018] is probably making the biggest difference for core and posture. Not fighting the hip rotation from the gut makes for the core being more balanced, A lot closer than it has been for a few years... #fatars

Steve B.

3/19/19 8:34 PM

What remarkable timing as Trek/Bontrager had a “monumental” announcement today that turned out to a major advancement in helmet design.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-helmets/bontrager-wavecel-helmets/c/E399/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/19/19 8:48 PM

Speaking of Helmets, I guess I am due for a new cap.

Wavecel now. Is this just Trek/Bontragger's MIPS?

And speaking of MIPs, or this Wavecel, how do opinion fall as far as importance of this tech for current caps?

Brian Nystrom

3/20/19 7:21 AM

Wavecel looks interesting and promising, though the claims seem a bit outlandish. I'll wait until I see some reviews before committing to anything that expensive. In particular, I want to see some data on how well it ventilates.

Reply to topic    

henoch

3/20/19 8:31 AM

This helmet has been discussed at length on various websites, if it lives up to half it's claims it will be pretty amazing.
We will have to wait until some tests start coming through the pike.

@sparky, it isn't a new version of mips it's a completely new and different technology.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/20/19 10:21 AM

Hmmm

Brian may be able to make a case for being a beta tester....:)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/20/19 12:08 PM

"completely new and different technology."

Not really as far the end means. Is the better MIPS I guess is what I should have asked opinions for?

I think I will most likely lean Smith MIPS, overtake seems decent enough and often on sale. Maybe more so now that another player is in the game with this tech.

I have concerns for wearing a hotter cap though. But not having bee stings on the head is interesting. Although that has only happened a few time on decades. But had hitch hikers pretty frequently. usually find their way to an exit before I have to pop off the helmet to do a release in the catch and release...

On the MUT I can do the helmet off to let a bee/bug out while riding. Something I would not do in a bike lane... Remoids me of changing out a shell while rolling liek the old days. ;)

Brian Nystrom

3/21/19 4:25 AM

"Brian may be able to make a case for being a beta tester....:)"

Well, I would like a new helmet...

Actually, I just switched the retention system from the damaged helmet to a newer one that had a broken retention system. At least I have a usable second helmet now, though I'm sure that's the kind of thing that gives Bell nightmares. I'm just glad that I wasn't wearing my primary road helmet when I whacked my head. At least I broke an old one that I rarely used.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

3/21/19 5:24 AM

The phrase, as BTW for this kind of hit is called "Ringing Your Bell"

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/21/19 1:22 PM

I don't know; I always thought that getting your bell rung implied being dizzy, dazed and confused. In my case, the impact to my head isn't what I felt the most, it was the shock going down my spine. I don't even have a bruise on my head from the impact, which surprises me. The helmet did it's job, I guess.

I wasn't knocked off the bike, but I dismounted in a big hurry, dropped the bike (on the left side, of course) and walked around, swearing, for a few minutes. The other riders were all very concerned, but it probably looked rather comical in retrospect.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, but I'm not sure if it's related. It's going to rain until Sunday, so I'm planning to "lay low" for a while.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/21/19 1:43 PM

Hmmm.... residual?? Maybe you did ring your bell more than you think.

Brian Nystrom

3/21/19 5:56 PM

It's certainly possible, which is why I'm going to take it easy for a while. I looked around online and everything I found indicated that the effects of a concussion generally become apparent within hours, rather than days (assuming they're not immediately obvious). Hopefully, I'll be up for riding on Sunday when the nice weather returns.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -