HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

I'm tore down: Almost level with the ground

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

2/28/19 4:03 PM

I'm tore down: Almost level with the ground

I've been riding my trainer alot- maybe 5 days a week. I've increased intensity and kept the duration of rides under an hour. I spend some time at 30-40 watts over threshold and generally do famous euro climbs. This week was Mt Ventoux.

I'm beat. My legs are dead, ramdom stabbing pain, fatigue. At 66, I can't handle this load, so I'm taking some days off to see if I recover and feel like training again.

Note that I have not been outside for 4 months or longer, but I'm hoping to get out soon. When I ride outside, lots of the miles and time are at an easy pace. I don't get easy time indoors, as I find it boring.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/28/19 4:38 PM

Listen to your body. Maybe it was telling you something day 4. ;)

I try to stick to consecutive limits. No more than 2 on or off in a row. In season no more than 3 in a row on, 2 in a row off... Body needs rest...

dan emery

2/28/19 4:55 PM

I’d be surprised

If you weren’t torn down with that schedule. Too much hard riding. When I was doing structured indoor training a few years ago, I was in great shape, and three hard rides per week was max, two better. If you’re doing 30 watts over FTP, that’s hard.

I’d ride hard twice a week. If you can’t stand riding easy the other days, just go out and walk or something.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/19 5:14 PM

Old farts still trying to prove shiet to our old arses...

;)

daddy-o

3/3/19 8:28 AM

Monday ridiculously easy for a half hour to get the inflammation out
Tuesday a good warm up and cool down with a few good punches
Wednesday LSD
Thursday some kind of intervals
Friday like Monday
Saturday like Tuesday but shorter and more intense
Sunday: Ventoux
Monday: Like last Monday

That's the Eddy B. plan from ~1984, modded for a 2019 reply.

Be good to yourself dfcas, many miles to go before you sleep.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/10/19 1:04 PM

wow

Been away form the forum for a while too busy on the bike I guess....

I'm 65 still racing (one of my t-shirts - Jerry Garcia's band iterations "Old and in The Way"

I do a lot of indoor training during the winter - no way close to this.

I finally retired my 20 year old Computrainer and replace with a Kickr Core....(why didn't' I do this sooner?) love the simplicity of direct drive. I have been using Smelly"s (former TTF member and sponsor)ERGVideos for some years now that he has gone subscription based and with a training plan with TOE' (training objective equivalent) options not getting bored at all

Basic training principle HIT and then rest for recovery and adaptation

Even more important as you age, it is a fact that as we age it takes longer to recover from hard sessions / rides

I do not do more than 3X hard sessions per week and every 4th week an easy week

Can't wait to get outside to ride

(plug)Smelly's ERGVideo subscriptions and available training plans are great little boredom

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/11/19 4:14 AM

quote:
Even more important as you age, it is a fact that as we age it takes longer to recover from hard sessions / rides

Our local veterans cycling club here had one of the staff from the Australian Institute of Sport give a talk to the club a few years back on the topic of "Aging and athletic performance". One of the things I remember them saying was that a 20-year-old can be put through a really hard training session, and within about six hours they have recovered and can be put through another - so the swimmers at the institute have morning and afternoon training sessions. Put a 40-year-old through a similar intensity training session, and they take about two days to recover. She didn't mention how long a 60- or 70-year-old takes for recovery.

I'm 66, and these days I definitely try to avoid two hard days in a row. Even with low intensity stuff, such as touring, I try to organize the days so that we don't have more than two long (these days that's > 100km) days in a row, particularly if there's climbing involved. A far cry from 30 years ago, when we would sometimes do 1000km weeks when touring on our tandem.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/11/19 9:42 AM

Bunch of has beens.... No me of course. ;)

Keep in prospective what percentile for our ages we are in on the anti sedimentary front. ;)

Paul Datars

3/11/19 12:18 PM

Geez at 61 I'm feeling kinda young, not many places I can go to feel that way these days :-)

I still ride 7 days a week, 365 days a year (well last year it was actually 363 days, 1109 hours) but many of those days are pretty damn easy compared to even just 5 years ago.

Over the winter I tend to do 4 of the 7 days a week at a very easy pace, I also do a 'fast' ride for an hour every morning...'fast' as in before eating anything and at stupid low power like 150W. This really helps me get more than 12 hours of fasting a day but also means many days end up with two rides. I only do intervals once a week with the other non-easy days being just 2 or 3 hours mostly in zone2.

When the summer gets here (particularly the 2 months I spend in the Catskill mountains) I really notice the inability to completely recover from hard days but mostly I just try to ignore it and enjoy riding as much as I can. I can do this because I'm no longer quite as focused on being as fast as possible and thus am willing to give up a little bit of performance for the sake of just riding more. There's nothing I hate more than not getting a 'good' ride in on a beautiful day because I need to recover so I can be faster for the next ride.

Cheers, Paul.

walter

3/20/19 10:27 AM

listen to your body

when you've got the mojo, it can be fun to hammer...but when your body cries for mercy and you still feel like riding, do a short 20-30 minute trainer ride at really-really easy power and high cadence, so its super low load. seriously...spin at +90 rpm and under 150watts. just move your legs and get your blood flowing for on-the-bike recovery...movement pushes blood thru the legs and flushes out the toxins and accelerates rebuilding. do that for a couple rides, maybe more, and get your legs back under you...then let 'er rip again!

Sparky

3/20/19 10:52 AM

What is interesting to me now being on a Beta Blocker, is there is no zone 4 anymore. Or I just barely brush it on a climb I don't back off. My max is 184, and I barely see 160 on sustained output.

Not ridden with the club for a while so I do not know if I am slower from controller HR ceiling. I do not think so due to gear range & cadence used being the same. I am just the usual amount of slow? Luckily, I feel no negative noticeable aspect of the BetaMed, perhaps the zone lowering is a positive aspect. It is the lowest usual prescribed dose of the particular drug. When my weight loss hits 35lb I plan to start hill repeats and more serious intervals to build some power.

I have been riding every day for a 5 days, shorts and short sleeve jersey temps, I can't stay off the bike. I do feel I need a recovery day or two, the rides are getting shorter each day. ;) A few drizzle days upon us starting tomorrow, I will do a rest day soon...

Also, the Spectrum with SR now on it should be in the honeymoon phase for a bit, motivates me to wanna ride it. New Toy yada... My less fat ars state is a honeymoon phase motivational wise as well.

"when you've got the mojo"

A result I hope to re-attain the beginnings of for 2019. Not had it really for a long while seems like. I expect if I stay on track, 2020 I expect to be when I actually get there? Last time around 2000-ish it took serious 3 seasons to get/land to that fitness level. I was a lot younger then. Hoping that 43.5 est VO2 Max treadmill test result allows me to get there in a reasonable time. Extra recovery days I seemingly need not withstanding...

I have been saying/planning every winter to start the next season without having so much muscle building mass happen due to carrying so much to start with. 1st time I actually have it in the accomplished box/checked.

I am in anticipation of how my fitness will manifest differently given my lower Clyde status going in...

Biggest difference I notice so far is I stand a lot, and a lot longer than I have for many seasons already. Given higher gear standing VS seated, it suggests going faster avg overall for the most part. [in my minds eye]. I stop and BS with folks too much to take my Polar beat avg as indications of anything. I am after longer medium effort for more weigh loss for now.

Sparky

3/20/19 6:28 PM

Not complaining, not when I am out with shorts and short sleeve jersey and sun block on...

But yet another very windy day making for an inadvertent @FTP 25 miler. ;O Probably not a bad thing really...

dfcas

4/5/19 2:34 PM

As a last resort I tried rest and took a week off the bike. I had a good trainer ride today-better power and i went a little longer than I have been. It seems that I can do 1 hard day or interval day per week and the other 2 or 3 rides must be easy recovery rides that stay below threshhold.

Gotta watch burning that candle.

Brian Nystrom

4/5/19 3:58 PM

Make sure you're fully recovered before you increase your workload significantly. Otherwise, you risk a relapse that could ruin your whole season.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/5/19 6:16 PM

Agree with Brian

If by threshold you mean FTP, that’s a time trial, and you can’t do that for a prolonged period real often even if you are an elite rider. A recovery ride is WAY below threshold. I do trainer rides like Mallorca with about 25 hairpins that take you above threshold, but only for a few seconds at a time. That’s no problem, but a long effort at that level, even one or two minute intervals I would say, is tough and not to be done often, especially by your and my ilk.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/6/19 6:53 AM

I actually find it difficult to do true recovery rides because they have to be so easy. Even when just noodling along on a relaxing ride, I find that my effort level naturally creeps up to above recovery level, unless I'm careful to pay attention to it. I can tell when I've done it right, as I'll feel better when I get back than when I left and won't feel any fatigue afterward.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/19 10:32 AM

I just pick a HR to not exceed for the ride when recovery.

Used to be 135, on the Beta blocker, I dunno...

Or just go downhill only. ;)

Brian Nystrom

4/7/19 8:03 AM

That's what I do, too, but I have to watch it like a hawk. If I start daydreaming, my effort level inevitably creeps up.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/7/19 9:05 AM

If I see a hill off in the distance my heart rate max/s out.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -