HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

No water!
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

1/26/19 10:07 AM

How would two units in series be more efficient? The temperature rise required is still the same and you'd be heating up the innards of two systems instead of one.

Reply to topic    

April

1/26/19 10:35 PM

My guess? The first unit raise the cold water temperature to "warm" water so the second unit can raise it to the desired temperature?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/27/19 9:24 AM

Yes, I'm assuming the same thing, but I don't see how that would boost efficiency, since the total water temperature rise required is still the same. It takes the same amount of heat to raise the water temp, regardless of how you do it. Using two heaters means that you have to heat additional hardware, which probably takes more heat than with a single, larger unit, reducing efficiency.

Such a system is bound to be more expensive than a single, larger unit, too.

OTOH, if you used passive solar to pre-heat the water and an insulated storage tank to hold the warmed water, then used an on-demand system to finish the heating process, you'd have a pretty efficient system. That's probably the only way it would be cost effective up here.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/28/19 11:14 AM

Efficiency

I never said it would be more efficient. Thermodynamically, it would be no different than a single unit that had the wattage to do the same amount of heating. I've never costed it out but when somebody says that an electric tankless unit is not a good choice when source water is too cold, you could install two (CHEAPER) smaller units to get the job done and MAYBE that would be cost effective.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/19 12:10 PM

Other than amortizing two pieces of hardware instead of one. Watts is watts pretty much.

The other possible issue is running two 40 AMP feeds just for water [assumption] instead of one if like us you are still running 60 AMP Main. But having said that, we run the Electric Stove, Clothes Dryer and WH simultaneously.

When we bought here, the guy had a 60 Amp breaker running out to the shop for his ARC welder. There was a Aux shutoff on the WH, and he probably told his family not use the Elec Dryer while he was welding. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Kramer

1/29/19 9:52 AM

Instantaneous electric just doesn't work

As a person who designs commercial plumbing systems for a living, just say no to instantaneous electric water heaters unless you have no other choice.

The watts to usable output ratio is just too high. A small hand washing sink with a 0.5 gallon per minute (gpm) aerator sure go for it. Anything higher than that go electric/gas storage type or instantaneous gas.

Standby tank loss is so small now that you aren't losing much by storing water in a tank.

A few companies even make a small thermostatic mixing valve (it is more residential so I'm a hair out of the loop) but it allows you to store water hotter at 140F and mix to more usable 120F as it leaves the tank and more or less gets you additional hot water capacity. A coworker installed one on her electric storage tank heater and she said it is amazing.

Last edited by Kramer on 1/29/19 10:11 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/29/19 10:01 AM

What I was told about electric on-demand systems by the tech I spoke with was "they work well in Florida". 'nuff said.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -