CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Strong/Pursuit second carbon offering drops.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/8/19 10:46 AM

Strong/Pursuit second carbon offering drops.

Carl's joint carbon endeavor, the LeadOut is born.

Apparently not a gravel bike looking at the tire clearances.

Most notable feature?

T-47 Bottom Bracket

We think bottom brackets should be threaded. And we think threads should be metal. So we bonded in a titanium T47 bottom bracket insert. This ensures easy maintenance, prevents squeaking, and fits just about every crank out there.

https://pursuitcycles.com/bike-information-lead-out/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/9/19 1:13 PM

I agree with the stated philosophy, but $6200 for a frameset? Really???

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/19 3:03 PM

My 2008 Scott LTD Frameset was $7k originally, and made in Taiwan too.

So inflation adjusted to $8100 in 2018 $$, compared to the HMX LTD Addict, the custom hand made and painted Pursuit frame is cheaper arguably.... By what once would be considered a tidy sum. ;)

I wonder if the Previous Strong repeat Customer Discount carries over to the pursuit line...

Brian Nystrom

1/10/19 7:02 AM

OK, but what did you actually pay for your Scott? I'll bet the number they actually sold at $7K is pretty close to - if not exactly - zero. It's one thing to stick a high price on something, but quite another to get people to actually buy it. The hugely discounted Trek Emondas that we were discussing last year is a perfect example.

Reply to topic    

Craig

1/11/19 12:21 AM

4 stock frame sizes with a top tube range of 3cm for $6200 from a second year carbon frame manufacturer. Nope. And I'm sure they will sell every single one of them.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/11/19 12:34 AM

"OK, but what did you actually pay for your Scott?"

Not sure in my case it is a fair one for cost comparisons. I got it 4.5 years old from a sponsored racer that got it for free. When Scott told him they did not want him on the old graphics it got retired as a backup bike. He gets to keep the old ones to sell to pay for other crap I guess.

To answer your question I got it in 2013 for $550.00.

Brian Nystrom

1/11/19 8:19 AM

That's pretty much my point; the majority of these stratospherically-priced framesets are given to team riders and very few are actually sold at anywhere near the list price. It seems to be largely a marketing ploy, perhaps with the intent of desensitizing the public to the never ending price escalation at the high end of the market.

As for the LeadOut, it seems that its only real distinguishing characteristic is an unusually low bottom bracket. For someone like me who rides 175mm cranks, that's not appealing.

Sure, it appears to be very carefully constructed, but will it actually perform better than much cheaper frames from larger manufacturers? Not likely.

With only 35 being made, it's obviously catering to people who place a value on exclusivity. However, I suspect that they'll use the molds to produce less expensive/exclusive frames as well, since these frames may not even pay for the cost of the tooling.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -