View posts since last visit

Hey Dan-incoming
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

12/25/18 5:46 PM

Hey Dan-incoming

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230869&highlight=ottrott&page=2

Sorry, pics are photobucket...but they're in the link.

What, 15 yrs after yours? Its nice, ST stays, asymmetric HT, just need to drill it for di2.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

12/25/18 6:47 PM

Nice

Does this mean you bought it?

It's a great bike. I still ride mine on the computrainer, but I'd be perfectly happy with it as a primary road bike.

I got mine in early 2005, so about 14 years.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/25/18 7:29 PM

Nice. Hope I never see one in my size!!

dfcas

12/25/18 8:22 PM

That’s a nice ride.

Sparky

12/25/18 9:38 PM

For the thread: [Some pic hyjack/re-hosting]

Brian Nystrom

12/26/18 8:31 AM

They definitely are pretty frames.

I've always wondered if the seat stays were just a way to use up leftover carbon forks with 1" steerer tubes. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/26/18 9:59 AM

Is it a road race or sport GEOM?

"just need to drill it for di2"

Or SRAM eTap and spare it of the drill bit molestation? ;)

Me, it would get Super Record 12s, yes with cables. ;)

More probably non super Record 12s to help pay for the rest of the build. [being 900 space bucks cheaper and all]

greglepore

12/26/18 12:55 PM

Yeah, etap would be the ticket at current pricing but I have a di2 9070 group in inventory. Serotta did drill these for di2 at the end of their run-they found the ti lugs plenty durable for that, but their steel frames developed stress risers so no go.

Sparky

12/26/18 2:57 PM

"steel frames developed stress risers so no go."

I've thought of that on a lugged frame. Where you have the tube and the Lug to drill a hole thru. I thought about doing that to the colnago when I got the Victory frame back. Drilling a hole for the Di2 wire in the club cutout on the DT lug though the actual .9mm SLX tube. I'd have only drilled a 2.7mm hole. the Di2 wire is 2.5 not counting the E-Tube ends. I;d have cut and re-spliced the middle to keep the hole as small as possible.

FWIW, I have a 531 Reynolds Crescent frameset, made in Sweden. There is a hole drilled thru the DT lug/tube and BB for a wire about the same diameter of the Di2 middle section for presumably a light/generator wire. The wire is still in there too.

Sparky

12/26/18 2:59 PM

Are you DIY drilling? Going with the standard Di2 grommet hole size? If you do DIY drill, chamfer the edges inside an out.

dan emery

12/26/18 3:27 PM

Drill etc

I'd put something like Chorus mechanical on it and forget about it. I have eTap on a bike, and I like it, but IMHO it's no better than Chorus mechanical, and actually slightly slower. I have Record mechanical on my Ottrott, and if I put it back on the road as a fultime machine, I wouldn't dream of updating the drive train with drilling and related shenanigans.

But if you want to check out e-shifting, go for it. But there's really no reason to other than curiosity (which didn't stop me. :)

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/26/18 5:43 PM

I have an SR11 bike, a Etap bike, and a Di2 bike. Etap is fine, but I don't like the ergonomics much. SR11 hoods are amazing, as is the rear shifting. The front shifting is fine too, but I have tiny hands and an arthritic left wrist, so after more than 30 mi it wears on me a bit. That said, I just made a guy an offer on a Record 11 shift group, used.

I'm parting some bikes out due to space/lack of use and I have a 9070 di2 group with low miles. I don't need the cranks or brakes, so ... its better than free at this point.

With that said, if anyone wants a Willier Cento uno Air, in size small (like 51-53) with 9070 and 17mm internal 25 ex carbon wheels for 1500 shipped, lemme know. Photos are in the paceline classifieds.

Sparky

2/18/19 9:28 PM

GP, How is that Serotta Project coming?

greglepore

2/19/19 4:07 PM

Its together, ended up with 2016 SR mechanical on it. Its a very sweet ride, very comfy while giving up very little performance. And it rails downhill like nobody's business.

Sparky

2/19/19 5:50 PM

Being I am currently flushing out the Shimano for Campy, I am in the good idea camp on the SR.

dan emery

2/20/19 5:32 AM

Sweet

Perfect bike

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/20/19 11:05 AM

I actually bought another SR parts bike Monday. It is the BMW M Carbon Racer with 2013 SR and another 12-29 SR cassette. K-Wing bars and a Lynskey Ti seat post. Looks like it has a few rides on it. $700.00

And just like the Helix appropriation, a $250.00 saddle, another Specialized. Which is a bonus as my butt gets along VG with Spesh saddles it seems. Saddle already on the Madone.

Putting a 1x Di 2 on the BMW M Racer and flipping it. Same guy as the Helix. That was his last road bike outta 7 he is liquidating. Only keeping Gravel and MTB bikes. His wife started getting on his case. He said he started selling off middle of 2018, and road bike are give always now. No discs, no ticky as we have been predicting here for a while.

I am either going to do a repaint on the Reynolds 753 frameset for the SR.

Or... Wait for it...

Nibbling at a frameset, a Spectrum Ti Super with threaded 1" Wound Up in VGC. Top tube internal brake cable route, nice touch too. ;) And no DT side bosses either, like. On the fence on the Quill/WoundUp, unless the included stem is Ti...

What do you guy think about that?? Vote for the Ti Super or the 753. Either way there will be paint involved. I'd have to paint the Wound up to some kind of slash paint across the Ti leaving the stays and BB just Ti.

greglepore

2/20/19 12:12 PM

I'm a huge Kellogg fan, so...
And those wound ups are nice forks for being so fugly

Sparky

2/20/19 12:54 PM

"nice forks for being so fugly"

I remember they are pretty stiff. I guess if it stays I will get some hipster arty mojo distraction going on with color dejour splashed back onto the ti. Waiting on specific geom before going to look at it... If not close in my range, the 753 bike will get stripped down. Get that Shi.. off it. ;)

The bike fits a big 25 he sez.

eMail Tom, he sez a refresh with decals is 150.00 plus shipping, an option. But the metal looks pretty good in those recently dated pics... I will have Tom look up the build to make sure it was not built for a skinny MF or anything.

This will leave on carbon bike here, when the BMW M departs. It is too small for me so I am not tempted to keep it in the stable.

Let'd see some finished pics of the Serotta if you do not mind sharing...

greglepore

2/20/19 5:16 PM

Sure-first pic includes my other steed...

dan emery

2/20/19 5:30 PM

Oh yeah

The stem is Cipo-esque.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/20/19 5:50 PM

Very nice, hipster stem top cap is neat too. ;)

greglepore

2/20/19 6:15 PM

The bike is quickly becoming a favorite. My 13lb carbon wonderbike is probably more responsive, but for tempo rides over varying surfaces, I can't imagine a better bike than this. And the tech is 15 yrs old now, so imagine a 333fab or seven slx...

Sparky

2/24/19 5:02 PM

Well, I grabbed the Spectrum Ti Super. I thought Carl's welding was super, and it is. This Super is... Well super welds beyond any I have seen, and not post weld ground or sanded apparently.

Geometry measures out on the money, 6mm shorter TopTube than My Strong Customs. 9mm longer than the Helix. Helix is on the edge of the window, Strongs are at the other edge [now that I am 61+] Spectrum is solidly in middle. Great luck for used.

Luckily, seller included a new decal set he had bought. I had emailed Spectrum and he [Tom] said they only have them without the rainbows.

Apparently after loosing an argument with the UCI, not having any Worlds titles with Spectrums he had to cease the rainbow decal long ago.

Tom offered a refresh and re-decal for $150.00 if I sent the frame to them. Or could sell me the non rainbow set. Guess I won't have to ask how much.

Along with the decal set, two Spectrum rainbow water bottles, a steel powder coated Spectrum stem, and still installed Wound up fork with Dura Ace threaded headset.

In fine condition, all I could find was a few tiny chainstay stone lean nicks right side.

Didn't steal it exactly, but for $750.00 I just had to. Hoping for a keeper. Sold the Chili Con Kermit yesterday to mostly finance it.

Oh yeah, way cool. He had the Road Bike Magazine with the Ti Super Review which he included. Fun/cool.

Also happy about the tire clearance.

This is a fat 25 on a wider rim, measures 27.4mm and has 6mm clearance to stays.
Tire to crown on the Wound up 6-7mm, Nice.

greglepore

2/25/19 4:36 PM

That looks like a Vandermark era Merlin built frame. It ought to ride very nicely...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -