CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

2.3 instead of 2.2mm Campy 11s cassette spacer?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/23/18 1:09 AM

2.3 instead of 2.2mm Campy 11s cassette spacer?

What is the deal with this? One 2.3 with the rest spaced 2.2mm. Is .1mm going to make any difference?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

12/23/18 10:47 AM

Apparently, or they wouldn't bother to do it. I've noticed unequal spacing on Campy 10 cassettes, too. It probably has to do with the way they design the teeth for various cog positions.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/18 12:32 PM

Of course, and this is the one that is cracked. ;)

Both of my Campy 11s setup I have I only have used with Shimano wheels/cassettes and shifting is perfect. This is what got me to start with Campy again when I read that was the case, and has been borne out.

Not to mention the asymmetrical shifter shape, never really liked the feel of the 9 and 10s Ergos I have had. 11s Ergos are like a glove to my big mitts, even with out the ergo/bar spacers.

So my brain can't get around .1mm [mattering] on any level.

KerryIrons

12/23/18 2:42 PM

Thread spacing

So how much movement results from a half turn of the RD barrel adjuster? I'm guessing it is on the order of 0.1 mm (pretty fine threads). That can affect shifting, right? Just saying.

Reply to topic    

Craig

12/23/18 3:57 PM

That's an improvement, some 10spd cassettes had 3 different sizes of spacers...

I suspect that while the spacer dimensions change, the distance between cogs remains the same. The G sized spacer, 2.3mm, should sit between the aluminum carrier-ed cogs and the individual cogs and while Campagnolo could/should have machined the alloy carrier to be .1mm thicker, they didn't. I'm sure there's a weight/stiffness/production efficiency cost/reason for this.

You can ride it cracked. If your cassette is properly tightened down it shouldn't move. You could also wrap a small piece of stainless wire around it a couple of times after the cassette is tightened down ensuring it doesn't make a break for it mid ride. It only has to last the lifetime of the cassette, the new cassette will come with another. Or, buy a new cassette, swap in the spacer you need, be careful to not overtighten etc, and then move that spacer back to the new cassette when you wear the old one out.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/18 4:24 PM

I was thinking of popping a high temp O-ring between the cog where the cracked spacer is before tightening to spec.

Or I just might sand a Shimano 2.4mm one I have with emery paper .1mm smaller. The only reason that spacer is keyed appears to be so it only gets put between the multi cog carrier and the first loose cog where they want the extra .1mm.

I may even try the 2.4mm spacer by itself. Lets see if my .1mm argument holds water. ;)

dddd

12/27/18 11:14 PM

Yeah, .1mm is a very slight change if made to a single spacer.

Turning the barrel just a quarter-turn moves the pulley a quarter of .8mm, multiplied by the actuation ratio of the derailer (1.7 or so), so more like .3mm which is a lot more than .1mm!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/28/18 8:06 AM

Sparky...

Why are you worried about a cracked spacer? It's under compression, so it's not as if it could come out when riding.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 12/28/18 11:15 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/18 10:11 AM

I know that intellectually, but I also like things to spec I suppose. ;)

Brian Nystrom

12/28/18 11:14 AM

I say Super Glue the silly spacer and lie to yourself that it actually accomplished something. ;-)

FWIW, I can be the same way. In cases like this, I tend to "fix" it until it's really broken!

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -