HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Folding bikes anyone?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

11/25/18 7:59 AM

Folding bikes anyone?

What to look for? What are the “gotcha” to look out for?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/25/18 9:49 AM

I guess 1st question is do you want full wheel size. A friend is into bike Fridays, even has a tandem. These are super well made quality that impresses.

I think they are 16" and 20" wheels depending on model, I think...

https://www.bikefriday.com

Nick Payne

11/25/18 2:40 PM

Depends what you want it for. Quickest folding/unfolding? Minimal folded size? Short rides only or rideability over longer distances? Only folding bike I've owned was a Bike Friday (Air Friday model, no longer made), that I used to take with me when travelling for work. It took about 20 minutes to assemble/disassemble, but the riding position was the same as my normal road bikes, and I could comfortably use it on rides over 100km.

A friend has a Brompton, which packs impressively small impressively quickly, but the gearing is limited and the riding position pretty upright, so I don't think I'd want to use it on rides of any distance.

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

11/25/18 5:33 PM

Brompton

For ease of folding and compactness nothing beats a Brompton. I used one for a train/bike commute for several years and it was perfect. It's fun to ride for short jaunts, but not really fun for more then 5 or 10 miles.

David

Reply to topic    

April

11/25/18 9:46 PM

A bit more detail.

I’ve ridden a couple different models, for more than just around the parking lot too. So I have some idea what may meet me need.

I’m looking more for the sort of specifics regarding folders only a long term owner knows but a regular non-folder owner never thought of. Particularly durability and repairability while on the road.

P. S.
Expected use is day or multi-day (long weekend) light touring in mixed terrain (flat to rolling only, no mountain passes). Focus is more on the “touring” part less on the “cycling” part.

Bob Dymond

11/27/18 9:10 AM

Moulton Bikes

These bikes don't "fold" per se, but separate at mid-frame. The cables have S&S splitters that screw back together when re-assembling the bike. Whole job takes about five minutes (less with practice.) An old cycling veteran tried mine out. His reaction: "If I didn't know any better, I'd think this was a regular bike."

Don't know if they're available in the States anymore. Just thought they are charming and drool-worthy. The workmanship is first-rate.

Reply to topic    

April

11/27/18 10:43 AM

Moulton

I'm looking more for a bike that I can fold up and take on to a city bus. Not a bike that can be separated and packed into a box for a flight.

In fact, I never quite get the latter kind. I had packed a full sized bike on a plane a few times. While not exactly piece of cake, it's not rocket science either. After a couple of practices, it actually went pretty quickly.

Ride quality is not a big concern. Efficiency I care a bit more. But as long as it handles properly, it'll do.

Last edited by April on 11/27/18 9:39 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

11/27/18 4:47 PM

Moultons are cool

Very popular in Portland when I got here in '80. Good suspension, the LBS had test rides on a cobblestone street.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/28/18 8:35 AM

The purpose of take-apart bikes...

...is that they can be packed in a case that's not oversize, so you don't get charged for bringing a bike on a plane...as long as you don't tell them that there's a bike in the case. The standard response if you're asked what's inside is either "sports equipment" or "a trade show exhibit".

You also have the advantage of a full-size bike when you reach your destination.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

11/28/18 8:45 AM

Don't most city buses have bike racks on the front now? I've never used one but I've seen people load/unload in just a few seconds. Are there security concerns with those racks? (no idea on that one)

Reply to topic    

April

11/28/18 9:06 AM

quote:
Don't most city buses have bike racks on the front now?

Not ALL the city buses have racks. Further, if the racks are taken, you have to wait for the next one. When the weather is bad, or night falls, that's when the racks are full. Also, if there're more than 2 of you in the group, obviously you can't fit on the same bus.

April

11/30/18 4:50 AM

The main drawback of non-folding bikes is one need to carry a bilky bag or worse, a box to put the bike in for transport.

With a folding bike, I can ride anywhere and fold it up to take advantage of whatever transport (or storage) option available. No fuss, no worry.

Basically, the bike is merely a tool of the outing, not the objective which the trip revolve around. So giving up the “ride quality” of a full size bike isn’t such a big deal.

It’s hard to visualize here because there’s no such thing as “public transport” in much of US. But the rest of the world has public transport, and much smaller home and hotel rooms...

Metro NY area is also more like “rest of world” in that regard, come to think of it.

Brian Nystrom

11/30/18 8:04 AM

quote:
Metro NY area is also more like “rest of world” in that regard, come to think of it.

That's a truly scary thought and woefully incorrect. That may be true of cities elsewhere in the world, but it's simply not true of the majority of the planet. It's the kind of warped perspective that I've come to expect from city dwellers and it explains why they have no concept of how the rest of the world lives.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/30/18 9:31 AM

"explains why they have no concept of how the rest of the world lives."

No kidding. ;)

April

11/30/18 9:54 AM

I should have said it’s like the rest of the world, but unlike the rest of US, which arrogantly believe it is “the world”

Sparky

11/30/18 11:14 AM

And there it is, the usual Status Quo retaliatory strike.

Serves us bad Americans right. ;)

Now wait for the next one...

April

12/2/18 2:55 PM

There’s no “next one” because this is actually a cycling thread. Rare as such threads are.

But the closed & ever shrinking “CYCLING forum community” lacks sufficient breadth of cycling knowledge. So it takes the only path possible which is degenerates into personal insults.

daddy-o

12/3/18 6:21 AM

April remember to use spoiler with comments about the finish. #humor

Sparky

12/3/18 10:52 AM

"lacks sufficient breadth of cycling knowledge."

Like to understand what you mean by this, if you wouldn't mind further comment/embellishment.

In my minds eye, there is only so much content of cycling to talk about. And seems knowledge is pretty good here, to me anyway.

I'd add that seems this time of year when we get forced off riding the amounts we 'need', we get testy. ;) Only noticed this the last 15-20 years though. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -