HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cycle tour in the Middle East?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

10/18/18 9:03 PM

Cycle tour in the Middle East?

Anyone here know anything about this tour/race scheduled for next May?

https://www.metour.info/

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

10/19/18 2:13 AM

First I`ve heard of it, and it`s in my backyard.It`s in March, not May as the latter would be uncomfortably warm considering where they are riding. Seems a bit steep money wise but who knows, maybe it will draw riders.
When I saw the original post, I thought it was referring to what is being called the Tour of Israel. The same Canadian zillionaire who manage to bring the Giro here, and is building Israels first velodrome, is organizing a 5 day stage race that will be used as a warm up to the Giro. Not sure yet if it will be on the 2019 calendar as it was organized only recently.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

10/19/18 8:05 AM

I never heard of it before but it does sound interesting.
For what you are getting I am not sure if the price is that high, consider that the GFNY is $300 and that is for one day of riding.

Reply to topic    

April

10/21/18 8:55 PM

It’s a race! So there’s timing setups that a tour doesn’t have to provide. And the roads need to be closed. Henoch got it right, it’s inline with the Fandos.

Whether it’s good value is a personal thing. It looks interesting enough that, if there’re no other comparable offer available, it would interest *me*! (Some day, maybe. Have other priorities right now)

dan emery

10/22/18 1:31 PM

Price looks OK to me

Considering it's 8 days and they schlep riders and luggage (note the contextually appropriate terminology!)

Actually looks pretty cool (not literally).

Reply to topic    

April

10/22/18 3:46 PM

Yes and no.

All tours schlep riders and their luggage around. That's the cost to compare this "tour" with. It's on the pricy side in that comparison.

But it's in line with Grand Fandos, which are races. (some say GF are just money grabbers. But "value" is always a very personal thing).

dan emery

10/22/18 4:32 PM

Whatever

Gran Fondos don't schlep begs. So look at it as an 8 day Gran Fondo where in addition they schlep your bags. Plus I'm guessing that Israel is a bit more challenging logistically to stage than a Gran Fondo or tour in the US. Plus they have several routes much longer than a typical tour. I think it's a pretty good price.

For Bike Maine you pay $900 for one less day, much fewer miles, and none of the Gran Fondo aspects.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -