Last edited by daddy-o on 7/30/18 10:22 AM; edited 20 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

7/14/18 12:22 AM

bump

Sparky

7/14/18 11:50 AM

Well, I didn't renew my Sports gold. So just taking sparse dregs off the airwaves. So I just finished the DVRed Stage 8.

Andre Greipel and Fernando Gaviria anyone?

henoch

7/14/18 1:47 PM

good picks but no chicken dinner I'm afraid :)

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/14/18 6:21 PM

Things are set things up to post these with a minimum of effort.

I'll keep editing the first post sometime before the stage.

I've got Taylor Phinney taking the stage to Roubaix. I suppose everyone agrees with that.

henoch

7/14/18 7:51 PM

Haha, don't go out and buy any chicken.... ;)

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/15/18 12:14 PM

Today's victory was truly well-deserved...pure class. Chapeau!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/15/18 2:55 PM

Tour de roubaix today?

Port out, new sheriff on that team now. TJ will get the ok now?

Nick Payne

7/15/18 3:11 PM

quote:
TJ will get the ok now?

Except on the stage he lost over five minutes to most of the other contenders.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/15/18 3:58 PM

@Brian, yeah after all he has been through it was nice to see him back on top.

Sparky,
Whos TJ?.
You gotta be joking, right?.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/15/18 4:19 PM

I forgot about Avermaet being on same team for some reason. Not watching stage by stage, so bits and pieces rattling around in my brain not the most efficient.

Or ignore all that txt, and yes I am kidding. ;)

henoch

7/15/18 4:39 PM

I dont know why people still keep on talking up TJ as some kind of GC contender, yes he finished 5th at the Tour, but that is a long way in the rear view mirror he hasn't done anything to warrant any such talk since oh, maybe 2013.....
That's a loooong time ago.
He will be lucky to even finish the Tour.
Ok TJ talk over and out.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/15/18 6:36 PM

Sadly, it seems that you're correct. Even TJ admitted recently that he's not a Grand Tour contender and is better suited to week-long races. It's a shame, but it's reality.

With no GC contender on the team, BMC will be all about stage wins now. That could make things interesting. This has been the craziest Tour in recent memory and hopefully some of the remaining GC riders will be able to keep this from becoming another Team Sky snooze fest.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 7/16/18 5:27 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/15/18 11:04 PM

I wonder if those three off the front shoveled extra coal when they saw Sagan missed their move. Froome finally learned to keep his nose in the wind on a technical stage. When I heard Taylor Phinney repeat his team's line to support Uran I knew there was no chicken dinner for me today.

Brian Nystrom

7/16/18 5:40 AM

I would be willing to bet that the reason the winning move was made in the first place was that they realized that Sagan was back in the bunch and even with his amazing skills, passing on the pave was going to be nearly impossible. Sagan said as much after the race; he was out of position and missed the move.

Although I'm an admitted Sagan fanboy, I'm really glad that the stage ended as it did.

Petey will get plenty of chances to dust everyone going forward. It will be interesting to see if Gaviria makes the effort to gain points in the mountains or not. If not, the Green Jersey competition is nearly a done deal. If he hadn't head-butted Greipel, I think they would have let the shouldering slide, since it wasn't anything unusual in a sprint. He threw away a bunch of points because he couldn't control his temper; perhaps it will be a lesson learned.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/16/18 5:41 AM

I would be willing to bet that the reason the winning move was made in the first place was that they realized that Sagan was back in the bunch and even with his amazing skills, passing on the pave was going to be nearly impossible. Sagan said as much after the race; he was out of position and missed the move.

Although I'm an admitted Sagan fanboy, I'm really glad that the stage ended as it did.

Petey will get plenty of chances to dust everyone going forward. It will be interesting to see if Gaviria makes the effort to gain points in the mountains or not. If not, the Green Jersey competition is nearly a done deal. If he hadn't head-butted Greipel in Stage 8, I think they would have let the shouldering slide, since it wasn't anything unusual in a sprint. He threw away a bunch of points because he couldn't control his temper; perhaps it will be a hard lesson learned.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/16/18 8:19 AM

Those were 3 super strong guys, so while none of them are on the level of Pete, they are a crazy strong trio, once they got the smallest of gaps they weren't coming back, You have 2 previous winners of P-R and the Belgium champ. Pete or no Pete, they weren't playing games either they all rode 100% until the last 500 meters.
Also the teams came into play, we all know how strong QS is, but yesterday as a team Trek was up to the test as well, as soon as Pete made the move to bridge he had Styuven glued to his rear wheel, and I believe a QS or two as well
Basically that is precisely how Trek wrote the script when they signed John 18 months ago.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/16/18 9:01 AM

cool stage

There probably aren't too many times you will see the Yellow Jersey blasting off the front on the cobbles...

Reply to topic    

Pino

7/16/18 10:43 AM

Had the pleasure to ride tomorrow's stage 10 days ago. I am pretty certain they will be faster than I was :-)
https://www.relive.cc/view/1690361140
https://www.strava.com/activities/1690361140

Brian Nystrom

7/16/18 11:05 AM

Very cool Pino! It looks like an epic ride. How long did it take? It would probably take me 2-3 days. ;-)

I was somewhat confused by Sagan's tactics. Even if he didn't get any help, what did he have to lose by trying to catch the break? Worst case, he'd drop back to the group. It seemed obvious that nobody would go with him to help, since the riders in the break weren't GC contenders, so there was nothing for the other teams to defend. Perhaps he just figured it was better to save his energy for the mountain stages that are coming. Perhaps it will pay dividends in the long run.

Reply to topic    

Pino

7/16/18 11:14 AM

It felt epic. Took me 10 hours leading me to around 7000th place out of 13000 starters. The second climb (plateau des Glieres) is very steep with riders in my vicinity tumbling over, but it will look much easier tomorrow.
We had the chance of great cycling weather, but still the last climb felt awful.

henoch

7/16/18 12:22 PM

Are you talking about his chase? he had 1 Trek rider and 2 QS riders sitting on his wheel, if he did a full on effort to bridge up they would have just sprinted past him at the end.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/16/18 1:14 PM

Link to WEDNESDAY'S profile

Stage 11 stuff
https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-11 - maps, etc

Quick ref: Stage 11 Profile

Last edited by daddy-o on 7/17/18 3:14 AM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

7/16/18 1:55 PM

7000 out of 13000

A solid middle of the packer, Pino....:)

Sounds like a great ride, congrats. Tough stage - 6 km @ 11.2% ain't bean bag.

Reply to topic    

Pino

7/16/18 2:34 PM

Preparing these events feels more and more like fighting decay.
Funny to find yourself in the "best off" video in the first 30 seconds :-)
https://youtu.be/Z4EflNL71Sw

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -