Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

No football fan here, I guess?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/25/18 9:12 PM

No football fan here, I guess?

My desk is next to a TV in the office. So I get to watch the World Cup while awaiting for the ‘build’, or in a teleconference etc.

Enjoy the distraction very much. Will be even more exciting when the group play finishes and the knockout round starts!

Last edited by April on 6/25/18 9:44 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

6/25/18 9:20 PM

I hear Brett Favre is trying to institute a nationwide ban on youth tackle football.

Brian Nystrom

6/26/18 5:27 AM

She's talking about the other kind of football, the one where the players actually use their feet.

I watched part of a match the other night at a restaurant. Between the endless kicking the ball around the middle of the field, the ridiculous theatrics whenever there was contact between players and not knowing when the game was actually going to end, it was a real snooze. I just don't get why most of the world is so rabid over this game. I suspect that it's mostly because so little equipment is required to play it, that pretty much a group of kids can get together and have a pickup game almost anywhere. It's great that it's so egalitarian, but that's not enough to make it interesting to watch.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

6/26/18 6:21 AM

#thanksbrian

#butseriouslyfolks The WC game is too focused on conserving energy: Implement hockey-style lines.

Any other suggestions for making the game interesting enough that the fans stop taking their boredom out on each other?

Yellow card, red card, a blue 'theatrics card?' How about a green card for exceptional effort so the player can sign a contract to work in the U.S.?

🎵✨‼ #rimshot

PLee

6/26/18 7:25 AM

American football = 20 minutes of action spread out over god knows how many hours.

International football = games that are 90 - 100 minutes long.

And it's a much more egalitarian game; size is not as much a factor as in American football or basketball. At the same time, the fitness, athleticism, and mental focus required is incredible.

Frankly, when you watch enough of it, and start understanding the skill and strategies involved, it's a fun game.

But, to each their own. Most people think bicyclists are crazy.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/26/18 9:02 AM

The foul theatrics have the same effect on me as wrestling nonsense. So I don;t get the enjoyment I might otherwise watching matches.

Now the woman's matches I watched last year were devoid pretty much of that crap, and I really enjoyed those.

Marc N.

6/26/18 9:31 AM

Not so fast

Most view the two American sports that they don`t play {baseball and football} as sports where for the most part nothing happens. Baseball it`s a given but even football is like that, A play takes 5 - 10 seconds and then there is a half minute break. The clock continually stops and it seems to go on forever. A game which is a hour long takes well over 3 hours to play In soccer at least there is always movement and a 90 minute games is over in under 2 hours including halftime.

April

6/26/18 11:53 AM

quote:
the endless kicking the ball around the middle of the field

I used to feel that way before I started playing!

I used to wait impatiently for the "highlight" when the ball is near the goal. Only watch on TV the goals.

But once I started playing, all that kicking around in the midfield started to make sense. It's like watching a quarter back standing there (or moving backward in the field) while the rest of the team frantically run around to get into best position. Except with European football, that happens continuously instead of for only 10-20 seconds.

More over, once I started playing, I have even more appreciation of the fancy footworks involved. It's like watching a dance, which it basically is one, with an express purpose of moving the ball into favorable position to score a goal.

I also play softball once in a while. It's plain boring even as a player. How anyone can watch the game is entirely beyond me!

Last edited by April on 6/26/18 1:37 PM; edited 1 time in total

JohnC

6/26/18 12:11 PM

I've been watching some, and enjoying it. Viva Mexico! (I'm an American of Italian descent - I needed to find someone to root for). I have a close friend who is an avid and knowledgeable fan; he's been trying to teach me to understand and appreciate the game for years, and I'm finally starting to get it, at least a little.

As for American "football," I have finally given up on it, I think. I used to enjoy the intricacy and athleticism, but there are just too many negatives now. The dishonest failure to seriously address the brain damage and other injury issues began to turn me off, and then the militaristic imagery and rhetoric became intolerable. But the plantation-mentality response to the protests finally did it. "We're paying you n-----s a lot of money to play ball, so just shut up and play." That's what the owners and the league sound like to me.

PLee

6/26/18 2:00 PM

Hard to believe that Italy, the Netherlands and the US didn't make it in. It's probably a sign of how much better the traditionally weaker national teams have gotten.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/26/18 3:34 PM

If Australian Rules Football ever makes it to your TV screens, a high quality game of that is worth watching. It's much more chaotic and non-stop than the other codes of "football".

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

6/26/18 3:48 PM

Aussie RULES, --football, soccer, hockey (constant motion, no sticks) rugby, basketball, all rolled into one the wife loves it because they run around in gym shorts and tank tops, no helmets, no genetic freaks. Speed, power, endurance, eye-hand.

It's on some of our PBS feed. Like you guys probably get some content from us.

Brian Nystrom

6/27/18 5:33 AM

I certainly don't discount the stamina, skill and strategy involved in soccer; I just find it boring and the fans boorish. There's no way I'd ever go to an event where I had to listen to idiots blowing on plastic horns for two hours.

Australian rules football used to be on one of the UHF channels when I was a teenager, but I haven't seen it in years. I remember is was a lot of fun to watch, with some of the most entertaining bits being the bizarre signals from the officials.

Reply to topic    

April

6/27/18 6:21 AM

quote:
not knowing when the game was actually going to end

I just don't get why most of the world is so rabid over this game.

Funny coming from a cycling fan! Bike races are even less known in its “end time”.

Tour de France (or other “classics”) are many hours long. Majority of time nothing happens. Just a bunch of people cruising along in a bunch.

Yet it’s hugely popular “game” to watch for Europeans, which I bet most Americans “don’t get” either.

quote:

“it was a real snooze”, “I just find it boring“.

I can say the same about American football and baseball too. Yet it’s crazy popular here.

PLee

6/27/18 9:44 AM

Holy cow - South Korea is about to knock Germany out of the World Cup.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

6/27/18 12:50 PM

According to our broadcast, they are the 3rd defending world champ in a row that didn`t make it out of the group stage.

April

6/27/18 1:38 PM

Maybe that's the sign of things to come, new up-and-coming power from outside of the traditional power circle threatening the existing established "order"?

Might get a lot less work done next week when we're in the knock out round!

PLee

7/2/18 9:20 AM

Argentina is out.

Portugal is out.

Spain is out.

The world is upside down.

Reply to topic    

April

7/2/18 12:36 PM

Makes it more interesting.

Marc N.

7/7/18 10:33 PM

Belgium - Brazil

I don`t know if anyone here was fortunate enough to see this game, but it was of such quality that even someone who never saw a football (soccer) match, and has no idea of the rules, would have enjoyed it, Just an outstanding athletic event.

LeeW

7/8/18 6:15 AM

world upside down?

Q: when was the last time that the World Cup final 4 did not include a team from South America or Germany?

A: Has never happened before.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/10/18 1:00 PM

I got home hoping to catch the second half of France / Belgium and was confounded that it was in Spanish, text, commercials and all. That's how I found out it was being simulcast on the same channel that carries the TdF. #🎵💥

PLee

7/10/18 3:41 PM

I was rooting for Belgium, but I guess I will now root for England just so we see a classing France/England final.

Reply to topic    

April

7/10/18 6:26 PM

^^^

Same here.

April

7/15/18 3:06 PM

What an exciting game to watch!

Perfectly appropriate entertainment for a rainy Sunday. :D

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -