CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Feeling nostalgic about internal routed cables...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

4/22/18 10:18 PM

Feeling nostalgic about internal routed cables...

Only half joking. I never like naked cables running on top of the top tube (or under, doesn't matter where), because it makes it difficult to attach pump & bag etc to the tt.

I know, I know. The full length housing weights an extra 2 oz!

Today, I had an embarrassing, painful and expensive fall at the end of my ride. Swinging my leg over the top tube, the cleat caught the rear brake cable which is running along the top of tt. I landed on my butt first, then my back, then my shoulder. In the process, I painfully bruised my butt, broke my phone that's sitting in my back pocket! My lower back still hurts at the spot where the phone dugged into...

Of my older bikes, I had one the cables routed inside the tubing. Another one that has full cable housing (no space between the fully-housed cable & tt).
. So it was no issue attaching pumps and bags under the tt. When I got my latest bike(s) (2000's), there's no place for the under-tt bag!

Not to mention getting clothing and footwear caught between the naked cable and the tt itself.

Last edited by April on 4/23/18 1:13 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/23/18 5:26 AM

Look on the bright side

Glad the phone was the only thing you broke.

Reply to topic    

PLee

4/23/18 6:59 AM

Feel better quick!

But your post raises another question - How many of us dismount by swinging their leg over the top tube? As opposed to back over the saddle and rear wheel?

Rear wheeler here.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

4/23/18 7:52 AM

Rear wheel

I suppose it might have to do with rider height, but I was wondering how you could hook your brake cable with your cleat. On my bikes (since we went away from cable clamps that you screw on) the cable is always about the 7:00 position when viewed from the back of the bike (low and to the left of the top tube). I don't think I could catch my cleat on it if I tried.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/23/18 8:06 AM

MTBs often have cables on top of the top tube

The same is true for 'cross bikes. It helps to keep water, mud and such off of them.

I agree with the dismount comments. I almost always swing my leg over the saddle and I'd be more likely to swing it over the handlebars than to try to step across the top tube.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/23/18 8:44 AM

"How many of us dismount by swinging their leg over the top tube?"

My wife does as well. On the tandem I wrapped the stoker top tube with clear cinelli bar tape so seh did not take paint off..

"wondering how you could hook your brake cable with your cleat."

Moot I'd say, being in fact she stated that is what happened I guess.

I suppose a piece of housing could be inserted in the section and gorilla clear taped in place.

Putting on clamp on cable stops and setting the cable on the left side as low as in practicable might be a solution.

My Trek Madone Kammtail Series 4 has internal shifter cables, but the brake is not. It is down low on the left side however...

dfcas

4/23/18 11:42 AM

I don't carry my cell phone in a jersey pocket, for fear of a crash /fall and landing on it. I carry it in a seat pack.

On a worse note, I'm forced to carry my insulin pump in a jersey pocket due to the tubing. It costs about 10 times as much as an iphone.

Sparky

4/23/18 11:53 AM

Gel pack top tube pouches y'all. They have some pretty padded ones suitable for an expensive pump or the $1k phone deJour...

I use a https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushwhacker-Laredo-Red-Bicycle-Frame-Bag-Cycling-Triangle-Bag-Bike-Top-Tube/183049398591?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

To have a place to stow arm/leg warmers or a raincoat etc for those parts of the seasons. I have two different size I got on eBay for 9.95 shipped. They make a plethora of sizes/shapes etc.

Last edited by Sparky on 4/23/18 12:14 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

4/23/18 12:02 PM

A thought:

I had a friend in CO that passed recently. After 2 decades of health problems and a pain pump from falling on a belt mounted 2 way and subsequent spine trauma.

So a solution to get shit outta your pockets could be as important as a helmet.

April

4/23/18 1:12 PM

quote:
the cable is always about the 7:00 position when viewed from the back of the bike (low and to the left of the top tube)

Mine is around 2 o'clock!

quote:
I suppose it might have to do with rider height

Actually, it's rider height vs height of the TT.

I have 4 bikes. The 2 mountain bikes has a much lower standover height (low TT measured from ground). Of the two "road-oriented" bike, the older one has a lower TT height than the newer one. (And it's the newer one that caught my cleat!)

I used to dismount exclusively swing my legs over the saddle. But because I often have a rear rack on the bike, sometimes a trunk bag on the rack, I also dismount by swinging my legs over the TT. I occasionally see people swinging their legs over the handlebar. I've tried it just to see how it feels. It works too. But I've not developed the habit to do that. I switch between over the saddle and over the TT.

Cable issue aside, the TT is after all the lowest point of the bike. So for those of us who're somewhat "height challenged", dismount over the TT is the most comfortable.

April

4/23/18 1:17 PM

Those two bags you showed, you can't attach it to the TT if there's naked cable running along the TT!

But it would work if the cable is in full length housing...

daddy-o

4/23/18 2:06 PM

Leapfrog mount, got it from an old Hollywood western.

All kidding aside, a compact frame could invite a foot forward mount, almost like a mixte.

Bounce back April! Day two is when the soreness kicks in, hope it didn't.

Sparky

4/23/18 4:03 PM

The TT bags more a solution for Dan's pump, I use it for cell and wallet. My first post was for the cable issue. I know that would be a large issue for my Wife. Sometimes folks have stuff behind the saddle and get out of the habit of swinging the leg over the back of the saddle as well.

Plus on the Trek Madone, having the TT and between TT/DT bags make me more like a dork and less like a poser. ;)

April

4/23/18 5:03 PM

Dan, daddy-o, looks like my body survived without any new broken bits.

One new bruise showed up. It was from the key fob! Fortunately for me, the key fob survived intact as well. Sorely missing the phone, even for 24 hrs. A broken key fob would have sucked even worse!

Last edited by April on 4/23/18 7:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

4/23/18 5:20 PM

Mount/dismount

Funny, when I busted my leg I had to relearn that. Away from the bike, I could not have even told you how I did it or even what leg I used. Of course I've only been riding road bikes for 45 years....

I can't even imagine "stepping" over the top tube. Sounds like a Gumby move to me. Though I will say, with a busted leg on one side and a cranky knee on the other, clearing the saddle on the dismount ain't quite as easy as it used to be....

And I'll also say it's important to protect the cell. When I fell on the river and busted my leg, I had my cell in the hip pocket I landed on. Somehow it didn't break. I got off the river with a 911 call.

Reply to topic    

April

4/23/18 7:22 PM

“Protect the cell”

I put the cell in my back pocket because that’s the only place I have pockets.

Putting the cell in saddle bag has its drawbacks. If you’re taken to the ER, the bike usually got left behind (police or house in the side of road). If you’re still concious, you MAY have the presence of mind to take it out. Or not.

Without your cell, how many remember the number of your family member who could come to get you home?

That’s not counting the very common practice of taking pictures with the phone. A drag to have to fish it out of the saddle bag every time.

Actually, I didn’t break the phone, just the LCD screen. I was able to use the voice command by holding the “home” button. One of only 4 buttons not on the screen for my iPhone. Got it replaced now, for $65 at Chinatown. ;)

Nick Payne

4/23/18 8:46 PM

Riding with your phone in your pocket can lead to quite significant burns if you fall on it and rupture the battery: https://www.smh.com.au/technology/sydney-bike-rider-gareth-clear-left-with-thirddegree-burns-after-iphone-exploded-20160802-gqirdx.html

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/24/18 4:56 AM

A saddle bag isn't the safest place for a phone

If you go over the bars, the bike typically lands hard on the saddle and anything in a saddle bag is going to be vulnerable to the impact. Likewise, if the bike falls on its side, the saddle area often take a significant hit.

I think Sparky had the best ideas and of the available options, the frame bag would likely be the safest. That said, I use a top tube bag at times to carry a camera that's worth several times what my phone is. The phone is typically in my back pocket, where it's somewhat protected by my hydration pack. That's obviously not the best place, but it's the most convenient.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/24/18 11:14 AM

I can see how protecting phones these days is a huge cost safety factor. My wife and I still milk and/or get used stuff in $125.00 range.

I am still on my Galaxy S5. Elaine just got a used LG Stylo 3 when her G2 screen developed a dead spot. I know lots of folks with 750-1000.00 phones, yikes!

When your phone cost as mush as your bike is worth. ;)

April

4/24/18 4:35 PM

expensive phones

I'm not one who carries an expensive phone around.

The primary function of a phone is to contact & communication. Whether that's by voice or by text or even by e-mail, that's the main function of a phone. Anything else is gravy.

As such, I haven't found compelling enough reason to carry around an expensive phone.

I understand a phone CAN have a lot of functions. Just that I don't feel I need them enough to justify the cost. I actually have a nice (albeit older version) iphone and I live it a lot. But I still don't use half of the functions on it, very little beyond calling and texting, plus some basic web browsing.

The camera works well enough. Though these days, my picture taking is more on the "story telling" side than "real" artsy photography. So I really don't find the need to go for the more expensive version.

daddy-o

4/25/18 2:16 PM

I'm one who carries around a full size tracking device, an iPhone 7plus. They get in the way, plenty. The rest of my family has iPhone SE which does everything except get in the way: speed, camera, resolution - but in a smaller area. Cheaper too. And I'm the cheapskate of the lot, go figure.

My son found an OtterBox for his, he might be able to run it over and then dial for help. Even though I have a rubbery case with a lip, a top-notch Gorilla Glass screen protector, and use other precautions, I still worry about what led to April starting this thread.

Glad to read you got off relatively light with a screen replacement April.

April

4/25/18 3:30 PM

quote:
The rest of my family has iPhone SE which does everything except get in the way

LOL!

I have an iPhone SE! :D

Yes, it does everything except get in the way. Had I killed it last Sunday, I (rather, my wallet) wouldn't be crying too hard.

I've had other phones that survived much worse falls. So I can't tell if iPhones are more fragile or just this particular fall I landed on the wrong spot.

Stuff that can break or lost: camera, phone, umbrella, gloves, commute bike... I make a mental notes on how much it cost and how much it takes to replace. I usually get one that's not too expensive. So that I don't have to constantly stress over its lose.

I have expensive stuff. Those I don't let out of my sight, AND make sure they got plenty of protection. All that means they don't get taken out as often as the cheaper version of the same.

For a standing fall, it was an expensive and painful one. But the balance is I didn't break any part of my body. And the phone got repaired at a fraction of the replacement cost.

Brian Nystrom

4/25/18 3:47 PM

Another SE user

I bought it specifically because it's small and light, and has a fingerprint reader. I paid a whopping $100 for it last Thanksgiving with a 1 year commitment to Three Stooges Wireless (a.k.a. Total Wireless), which runs on AT&T's network, so the performance is good. It's also one of the cheapest carriers out there, even less than Cricket. Unfortunately, getting the phone set up and working was a three-day ordeal, hence the Three Stooges moniker.

It's the only Apple product I own and although I'm not happy about some of the security choices they force on you, their service people are very helpful and the phone works well otherwise. I certainly wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for their other phones, but this one was no more expensive than less capable Android offerings.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/25/18 4:19 PM

"I have an iPhone SE!"

I'd need my reading glasses to find it to pic it up, no less read the screen. ;)

April

4/25/18 7:36 PM

Fingerprint reader

This thread is drifting quickly into phone choices...

I found the fingerprint reader only works some of the time. Sweat, moisture or any dirt renders it useless. And it seems to “lose” the recognition gradually. I had to re-do the finger remembering twice in the first year I had it.

On the plus side, the voice recognition so far worked quite well. So when my hands are wet or dirty, I use the voice command.

On the voice front, I found the Chinese version worked extremely well. The English version is only ok, not nearly as well. I don’t speak a third language so don’t know how well it workd in other languages.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -