CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Vista Outdoor; CamelBak,Giro,Bell,Blackburn and more.
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Craig

4/3/18 6:27 PM

Shooter at YouTube...

A shooter entered the YouTube headquarters and shot three people before killing herself. Thankfully it seems no one died except for the shooter, though all the facts aren't in yet.

I suspect the solution is to have metal detectors and armed guards at all tech and media companies. Seems reasonable.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/3/18 6:31 PM

Just arm the servers at the lunch counters, or invite armed teachers to have lunch there.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Craig

4/22/18 6:59 PM

A shooter entered a Waffle House restaurant and shot and killed four people with an assault rifle before being challenged by a patron who managed to disarm the shooter who escaped.

I suspect the solution is to have metal detectors and armed guards at all Waffle Houses (and IHOPs too, for good measure, though obviously Waffle Houses are way cooler. Denny's patrons can suck it). Seems reasonable.

Last edited by Craig on 4/23/18 2:42 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/22/18 7:07 PM

They should require clothing.

PLee

4/23/18 7:01 AM

And indoor smoking rooms. Though I'm not sure the three people hanging around outside were smoking.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/23/18 8:01 AM

OK Craig, what's YOUR solution?

It's really easy to make snide comments without offering anything of value.

Let's look at the facts of this shooting:
- The shooters was from Illinois, a state with strict gun laws, but he was able to pass a background check, get the required state and/or local permits and buy guns.

- He was arrested at the White House last year for entering a restricted area.

- After the above incident, his guns were confiscated by local authorities and given to his father, who is apparently an irresponsible moron, because he gave them back to his son.

- The guy is obviously mentally ill, as he broke into a restricted area of the White House and walked into a restaurant wearing nothing but a jacket and killed people for no apparent reason. Local authorities apparently knew of his mental health issues. because they confiscated his weapons.

Why wasn't this guy in treatment? Why was he not being monitored by authorities? Why were his guns given to his father?

So Craig, what is your solution?

It seems pretty obvious that after the incident in Washington, this guy should have been in treatment and/or on medication for whatever mental illness he has. Either that, or he should have been incarcerated. The fault here is clearly that we have no functional mental healthcare system in this country.

The state authorities should have had him adjudicated as "mentally defective". In that case he loses his Second Amendment rights until his mental health problems are corrected, if they ever are. His firearms could then be removed until such time. Assuming that the judgement data is communicated to the NICS system as it should be, he would no longer be able to legally purchase firearms.

His father should probably be prosecuted as an accessory to murder, for giving him his guns back, but I'll reserve judgement on that until more is known about the circumstances.

And please, don't give me any lame arguments that banning AR-15s would have made any difference. He could have created just as much carnage with a variety of weapons, from other guns to pipe bombs or Molotov cocktails.

No amount of security can protect public places from deranged individuals bent on committing violence. We need to get them off the street and into treatment, and/or confinement in a secure treatment facility. We also need to make sure that they are swiftly put into the NICS system so they cannot buy firearms legally. That may not stop them from acquiring weapons, but it will make it more difficult as they'll have to resort to illegal markets. We also need to crack down HARD on people who sell guns illegally.

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/23/18 8:46 AM

quote:

And please, don't give me any lame arguments that banning AR-15s would have made any difference. He could have created just as much carnage with a variety of weapons, from other guns to pipe bombs or Molotov cocktails.

And yet all of these shooting are done using AR15's not Molotov cocktails or pipe bombes....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/23/18 8:49 AM

"yet all of these shooting are done using AR15's"

There is that.

I'd add that the 'parts' for the other two methods mentioned are illegal when combined to create devices.

Just go get the AR-15 and a bunch of rounds and clips seems the preferred option of convenience. The video games shoot up virtual experiences coming to fruition??

Last edited by Sparky on 4/23/18 11:46 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jesus Saves

4/23/18 11:16 AM

Philosophical and legal consideration

There is a legal problem with incarcerating/committing/containing the mentally ill. To take away someone's liberty/freedom requires their consent or at least understanding why. I realize this is an overly broad and over simplified explanation. Someone here with legal expertise can articulate this much better than I. I just know from a similiar experience trying to help (nonviolent) homeless get help it becomes a trick legal/civil rights situation real quick. The law errs more on the mentally ill's favor than the state's. [/i]

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/23/18 4:19 PM

No doubt

I didn't mean to be overly simplistic. However, the guy was arrested and his firearms taken away, so there was evidently significant evidence that he was a danger to himself or others. I imagine that there will be more information forthcoming about what happened between the White House incident and the shooting. Perhaps people tried to do something or perhaps they just couldn't be bothered. It will be interesting to see and hopefully we'll learn something helpful from it.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -