CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Vista Outdoor; CamelBak,Giro,Bell,Blackburn and more.
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

2/27/18 4:47 PM

Seriously?

I don't know...perhaps it's because the majority of them are anti-gun? Just thinkin' off the top of my head here...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/27/18 5:32 PM

You said sales were extremely high when Barack Obama was pres, so it seems to me they could use scare tactics to get gun people to further stockpile weapons and ammo.

A democratic president and a republican congress would be great for the firearm industry, no?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/27/18 5:32 PM

"majority of them are anti-gun?"

'Where the fuck is the line' would be reasonable to point out. Seems a pretty fucking wide gray line. ;)

daddy-o

2/27/18 10:32 PM

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Well regulated, like background checks and registrations? Or well regulated like gun shows?

Original intent: Finish the document, represent both sides of the argument and leave it ambiguous so the document can be signed, we can go home, and let them sort it out later.

I don't get this, can you cite the text:

quote:
They didn't read the US Constitution, which says that Congress should use the militia to put down insurrections.

I thought 1,2,3 and 4 had more to do with foreign invaders than insurrection. Hell, these days with Russia posting Facebook rallies in Texas for rebels and Black Lives Matter simultaneously it looks like foreign led insurrection is a problem now.

Last edited by daddy-o on 2/27/18 10:40 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

2/27/18 10:32 PM

quote:
You need look no further than the senseless, Draconian new laws in NY, CT, MA and CA (among others) that have turned law-abiding citizens into felons simply for possessing products that they purchased lawfully. They're being told that they have to forfeit them to the state government with little or no compensation for their value, or face prosecution.

Just because SOME gun-banners are "take a mile" doesn't give the anti-gun-controller to refuse ANY restriction! It's childish to say "you don't let me watch TV, I'm not going to do my homework!"

What meaningful legislation the pro-gun faction of gun owners had proposed? Allowing concealed carry across state lines?

How many gun safety proposal NRA supported? How about a comparison to the number of opposition positions they took?

quote:
Until we can get honest people of good faith from both sides
Anti-gun-control supporter had done nothing but obstructing ANY form of gun restrictions. It's no different from the Republicans who had for years did nothing but obstructed every other kind of legislation. This past year, they've shown the world they're totally incapable of constructive proposals.

quote:
criminals don't care about gun laws

Criminals don't care about immigration laws or traffic laws or property laws either! Let's not enforce ANY of those laws! Better yet, don't have any of them in the first place!!!

Brian Nystrom

2/28/18 6:34 AM

As usual, you completely missed the point...

...and wandered off into mindless hyperbole. I'm not even going to bother with a detailed response, as it will just be a waste of time.

I'm sure others here are breathing a sigh of relief. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Andrew Lee

2/28/18 10:18 AM

US Constitution Article 1, Section 8 Powers of Congress:

"To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;"

The insurrections I refer to might be potential ones proposed by some gun nuts to fight the tyrannical (US) government coming for their guns. Or people like Cliven Bundy or this guy in Alaska:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaeffer_Cox

Reply to topic    

Andrew Lee

2/28/18 10:33 AM

Well April is correct. I often see editorials by individual gun owners who are for more gun regulations. But the same ones they propose are shot down by the NRA and other gun owners.

The problem isn't just criminals. There's also accidental gun deaths, such as with children, and mistaking family members as prowlers, and easier suicides. If the NRA cared about gun deaths at all, they would propose laws and regulations that are amenable to them. They don't. It appears they care more about gun sales.

Several years ago, I read a local news article about a toddler or very young child that shot and killed himself with his father's gun. I recognized the father as a former housemate of mine. That was sad news. But it's only one of many accidental gun deaths that I read about every year in the local news. And, yes, those accidental gun deaths vastly outnumber the number of crimes that I read about in the local news that are deterred by gun owners using their guns.

Also, hard criminals wouldn't be deterred by gun laws, but many less hardened criminals would be, just because of laziness or inconvenience. If you were to look at it from a scientist observing the entire population, you would get measurabe differences for sure. You might point out events that happened anyway, but that doesn't mean that regulations don't have an overall effect on gun deaths.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/18 1:51 PM

"Well April is correct."

Or dismissed as hyperbole, mindless no less.

How about some decorum y'all.

daddy-o

2/28/18 2:06 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the insurrections and invasions.

It seems to me that the insurrectionists are arming themselves using the Bill of Rights for cover.

Decorous?

dfcas

2/28/18 4:07 PM

fedex seems to be gun runners. Guess I'll join the boycott.

https://secondnexus.com/news/fedex-secret-deal-nra/

dan emery

2/28/18 5:37 PM

Dick's stops selling assault rifles and raises age

I've never been in a Dick's, but damn good for them. Sure anyone can still go to Cabela's and buy whatever they want. But reasonable gun control involves convincing legislators they don't need to be in the NRA's pocket. The more actions by kids, companies and whoever, the better. Nothing will convince folks such as Brian, but there are others who may get more interested in the issue.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/28/18 8:43 PM

Walmart also announced they will no longer sell assault weapons.

henoch

2/28/18 9:49 PM

I love it, Big moves by big companies like Walmart and Delta even if they are just symbolic, shoes that hopefully finally the tide is starting to change, and it won't come from the rotten heads (our elected officials) but by grassroots pressure and a movement, just like civil rights and gay rights.
It's about damn time as well!!!!

Oh and lastly, I have 3 giro helmets, I love them, and I need a new helmet for this spring and you can bet your dollar I won't be buying a 4th Giro

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/18 9:54 PM

4 Giro and 2 Bells here. It never occurred to me to vet my helmet company frankly. I don't see how I won't upon replacing when time comes.

April

2/28/18 10:23 PM

Most of my recent helmet purchase had been Giro. But now that I know their background, I won't buy another one. Bell also fits. They'll get my business.

Andrew Lee

2/28/18 10:38 PM

Bell is also owned by Vista Outdoor, as listed in the subject line.

Reply to topic    

April

2/28/18 11:41 PM

Ha! Thanks for the correction. Somehow I missed it.

I'll look for new brands. A good time to branch out a bit than doing the same old same old.

Though to be honest, I'm not quite in need of new helmets at this point. But I'll nonetheless go try out some different ones anyway.

Need to keep this thread active for easy access to the list. :D

Sparky

3/1/18 1:12 AM

I recall seeing one brand that had a mesh of a sort to keep bees from stinging you.

I got some arm coolers with 86% UV protection for this summer. If the helmet mesh had similar silky liner to UV protect my baldness, that might be good.

Andrew Lee

3/1/18 2:07 AM

Wow, Trump never made more sense than today.

"I like taking the guns early, in this crazy man's case."
"Take the guns first, go through due process second."

"(I will)write the bumpstock... essentially, write it out. So you don't have to worry about bumpstock, shortly that will be gone."

"Some of you are petrified of the NRA" "They have great power over you people. They have less power over me."

"I'd rather you come down on the strong side, instead of the weak side. The weak side would be much easier. I'd rather you come up with a strong, strong bill. And we can be strong on background checks."

About concealed-carry reciprocity between states: "You'll never get it. You'll never get it passed. We want to get something done."

"Can you go to 21 or not?" pushing raising the age for buying a rifle.

Comparison to Obama: "I've been here for a little more than a year, but what surprises me more than anything else, is that nothing's been done for all these years." "It's time that a President stepped up."

Reply to topic    

henoch

3/1/18 7:00 AM

There are some cool helmets to be had.
I really like the look of some of the Lazer's and Catlikes.
I also recently saw a helmet from NOW a small brand out of California.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

3/1/18 7:03 AM

Walmart stopped sales of AR-15 style weapons in 2015.

They've now changed the age to buy weapons to 21, are stopping sales of certain types of ammo and large capacity magazines.

Some voices of reason in this discussion, thankfully.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

3/1/18 7:05 AM

Fwiw, as an outsider (i.e. non U.S. citizen) re. this topic, after skimming through the thread, this comment was (to me anyways) the "awesome-est" so far:
!!

quote:
criminals don't care about gun laws

Criminals don't care about immigration laws or traffic laws or property laws either! Let's not enforce ANY of those laws! Better yet, don't have any of them in the first place!!!

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/1/18 9:06 AM

History does not bear out putting faith in Trump's words. In this case he has a thick wall of Congressmen protecting him from his on-camera pronouncements.

Brian Nystrom

3/1/18 2:10 PM

On accidental deaths, no responsible gun owner should every leave firearms where kids can get to them and harm themselves or others. There are laws against that in several states. Where they are reasonable and simply require that firearms be inaccessible and/or inoperable by someone who should not be able to use them, the NRA supports them. After all, it started out as a hunter's safety training organization and still does more of it than any other organization in the country.
Nobody is opposed to true safety laws. Unfortunately, much of what is touted as "safety measures" is nothing of the kind. It's just a bogus label stuck onto Draconian restrictions or confiscation schemes.

-
"Criminals don't care about immigration laws or traffic laws or property laws either! Let's not enforce ANY of those laws! Better yet, don't have any of them in the first place!!!"

This is the mindless hyperbole I spoke of. I never suggested anything of the kind, nor do I agree with it. It's just April's childish way of trying to discredit someone when she has no valid argument. I also never said that I was opposed to enforcement of existing gun laws. One of the biggest problems during the "gun boom" of the Obama years was the Justice Department's complete lack of action on criminals flagged during NICS background checks when trying to buy a gun. None other than "Shotgun Joe" Biden dismissed it, stating "We don't have time for that." What good is a background check system if nobody prosecutes the people it catches? It desperately needs to be fixed and people who are trying to buy guns illegally should be prosecuted.

The same is true of anyone who sells or gives a gun to someone illegally, or dealers who engage in illegal practices. Laws against this have been on the books since 1968, but they're rarely enforced.

-
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In the language at the time this was written, which is the only way to understand the framers' true intent:
"well regulated" = experienced or trained
"militia" = an army of the people
"the people" = individual citizens

This is where the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment as an individual right comes from. It's what the framer's intended.

-
Whether Dick's or Walmart or any other business decides to sell a particular type of firearm or not is their business. Frankly, this will be good for the smaller, independent dealers, who typically have closer connections with their customers. They're probably better qualified (for lack of a better word) to evaluate a buyer that the average clerk at a big box retailer. I've seen local dealers cite the law and refuse to sell to individuals more than once. Reputable dealers are not going to risk losing their license and livelihood over a sale to a sketchy customer. That said, they aren't clairvoyant and they have to rely heavily on the NICS system for information that they cannot get any other way.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -