HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

What is "social media"

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

2/24/18 11:02 AM

What is "social media"

I know what it refers to: Facebook, Tweeter, instagram, etc.

But what ARE they? Are these really "social" place (virtual is fine)? Or are these "media" (whatever that means)? So, what exactly is "social media"???

The reason I ask is, I do frequent a few forums, and am on some "groups". Again and again, I hear people say they feel like they're friends even though they never met. They feel like they "know" the person behind the handle. I know some of you feel that way HERE, on this forum. But I confess I can't say I "know" too many of you personally, except those I've actually met IN PERSON of course.

To me, I haven't quite equate online persona with real ones. To me, these are "handles". There's clearly a person behind the handle. But I make no assumption about the likeness between the online persona vs the real world one.

So clearly, I'm not taking the social part of these online "gathering places" as readily as others. Maybe it's just me not being very social in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy exchanging ideas online. But it felt more like pen pals. My "friends" are people I share drinks/meals and visit each other's homes. And can share silence in a car trip. And won't hesitate to call in the middle of the night if the need arise...

Today, I saw a post in another forum someone's family member had passed away. And everyone is posting their condolence and sympathy etc. I felt pretty awkward about posting anything. To be honest, I share a lot with the person involved. Our view tend to agree a lot of the time. But I just never thought about that person in such terms as "know" or "friend". (I posted a passage anyway, but am kind of feels like a cheat)

So, what is social media? Can "media" be social??? Or is it just a total misnomer? [/b]

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/24/18 12:21 PM

I do not participate on twitter, facebook, insta-'anything', or like that. Having said that, I do consider the TTF social media, as well as my guitar forums and builder sub forums etc.

Here is about as intimate as it gets IMO. Although I have only met a few users here, I feel I 'know' folks here.

Most of it seems to be too combative and wreak of vitriol to be considered 'social' anymore...

daddy-o

2/24/18 7:44 PM

This is social media. I try to show respect for people who write long posts by reading before posting. Sometimes they're TL;DR, srry.

Facebook? Too much social engineering, it's nice to have actual friends who post but at one end there are chain letters and things being pushed, semi-anonymity

Twitter? It's just weird to me. Getting much of a thought into 140 characters is bound to generate problems, and attempting multiple tweets is like Yoda to listening. (?did I what see)(see what I did?)

YouTube comments are ripe for social potshots. Try this: login with some Gmail address you don't care about, subscribe to a bunch of stuff you despise: feedback loop is created. The weird thing is, it's persistent whether you use an incognito browser or not. That means it's all kept server side and attached to the ID you logged in with. I pretty much guarantee everything ever posted there is archived redundantly and up for sale.

daddy-o

2/24/18 8:08 PM

Found a new keyboard shortcut: WinKey+. or WinKey+;

I know most people here don't give a.s. about emoji, but they are part of the Unicode standard and the whippersnappers aren't letting them go.

So far everywhere I've tried: forms, dialog boxes, text editors, Word, Excel, this keyboard combo works. Now we can start to have user names like " 😜🙈🙉🙊🚲 "

Livin th dream #humor

Brian Nystrom

2/24/18 8:51 PM

What is social media, you ask?

It's the stuff I avoid like the plague that it is! ;-)

Forums like this predate the SM platforms like Facebook, Twitter and whatever "insta-crap" is hot these days. This is much more of a community, rather than a free-for-all for trolls, predators and other miscreants. It's also not exploited by companies run by megalomaniacs like Mark Zuckerberg. While it is obviously social in nature and arguably much more sociable, it's not what is commonly meant by "social media".

Frankly, "social media" seems to me like as much of a misnomer as "reality TV". It's fake to the core.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -